Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewr2123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
This is what happens when you open Pandora's Box, Nintendo! Good luck closing it. At least they realize the damage to the brand and are trying to mitigate it. Apple saw a pile of money and didn't care and I feel like it has ruined iOS gaming for me. I don't play anything any more and I used to obsessively browse TouchArcade every day.

Totally agreed. I used to love finding free/paid games when the app store first came out, but now I never even scroll through the app store because I know 99% of the games either have IAP or crazy amounts of ads... I don't mind paying a few dollars up front, but even a lot of the paid apps still have IAP which is beyond annoying. The only games I still play are ones that I downloaded years ago that have little to no ads and no IAP.

Reactions: macduke

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I mean, this is all sweet and everything. But it's kind of rich coming from a company that makes you re-buy every Virtual Console purchase any time there's a new generation. Then, with the Switch, they've done away with Virtual Console altogether and linked legacy games (and only NES at the moment) to a yearly (though currently reasonable) subscription for online access. So, let's not go praising Nintendo's magnanimity too soon...

P.S. I do, however, really enjoy Super Mario Run. =)

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
In App Purchases are a cancer in the mobile app market. Some time ago I downloaded a guitar tuner app which can tune my guitar in A440 on its free flavour, but I can subscribe by a monthly fee to get access to other tunings. Come on, a subscription plan for a guitar tuner?

Reactions: techfreak23

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Mobile gaming is helping to ruin gaming. Micro transactions were already starting to pop up, but it really came into full force with the mobile platform. Had they tried that with console or PC gamers, they would have had much more backlash and would probably have a slightly different landscape for the gaming industry today.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
In the end we can all conclude that it's Apple's fault for coming up with the app store and the $.99 price model,
It’s Apple’s fault that they came up with the App Store that changed developer’s business practices? Why don’t we just blame Alexander Graham Bell for inventing the phone in the first place? We wouldn’t be here right now if it weren’t for him.

Reactions: MacNeb

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
This is great. I played that new Harry Potter game on my iPhone and it is a total cash grab and unplayable without spending hundreds of dollars. Talk about tarnishing a brand.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Have to agree with Nintendo. Repetitive grinding and excessive IAPs have killed mobile phone and tablet gaming so Nintendo Switch will suffer the same fate unless they actively crack down on it. Still won't stop mobile PC AAA gaming from taking over.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
In-app purchases (outside of purchasing the app itself from a demo version) should be banned entirely. It's a BS method of squeezing cash, and bait-and-switch at its worse. It's the digital version of shrinking grocery packaging sizes. Just charge more for the damn stuff up front.

Reactions: alexhardaker

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
What is it you object to at Blizzard? I don't have an issue with monthly access fees for online games that require server access like WoW does and their cosmetic purchases (mounts, pets) are really optional.

EA titles pushing loot boxes I fully agree with you.

I said "Activision Blizzard". The parent company of both Blizzard and Activision.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Nintendo.... just release N64/Gamecube classic games for iOS for a 1-time buy and no inapp purchases... you’ll see how much money you’ll make!

This would be a terrible business decision for them, which is why they haven’t done it. And good luck controlling those games on a touch screen.
[doublepost=1551993134][/doublepost]
I'm really looking forward to Nintendo discontinuing the rest of their mobile games, like they did with Miitomo. People love having their favorite games taken away and getting stabbed in the back by companies they support.

I doubt many people felt stabbed in the back about Miitomo. I honestly thought you were joking.
[doublepost=1551993409][/doublepost]
I mean, this is all sweet and everything. But it's kind of rich coming from a company that makes you re-buy every Virtual Console purchase any time there's a new generation. Then, with the Switch, they've done away with Virtual Console altogether and linked legacy games (and only NES at the moment) to a yearly (though currently reasonable) subscription for online access. So, let's not go praising Nintendo's magnanimity too soon...

To be fair they only charged a minimal upgrade fee for games you had on the Wii that you were adding to your Wii U, and they added save states.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Shigeru Miyamoto has echoed this week's report in the past, asking the gaming industry to stop "nickel-and-diming" players
I say this as a long time Nintendo fan and I admire Nintendo for many reasons: Let's not forget that they charge us for the same NES games (amongst others) every generation and still don't have an account-based games library. They're nickel-and-diming us on a whole new level.

Reactions: 2499723

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Why would they need an awakening? They are making billions off of Free2Play. I hate the concept but lets not sit and pretend it isn't WAY more lucrative for companies.
Yes, but lucrative in a soul eating kind of way. Look at the way EA is being talked about here. The erosion in brand value over a few short years is remarkable.

There's a market for fair priced content, and I suspect it's a market that's separate from and underserved by the IAP driven market.

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
Nintendo is probably the only last game companies that won’t release a game until it’s complete and has minimal in-app/DLCs.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is what happens when you open Pandora's Box, Nintendo! Good luck closing it. At least they realize the damage to the brand and are trying to mitigate it. Apple saw a pile of money and didn't care and I feel like it has ruined iOS gaming for me. I don't play anything any more and I used to obsessively browse TouchArcade every day.

Yep.... If you can't take the rap, perhaps Nintendo shouldn't be on iOS. By pulling back on how much you can spend on another company, you are basically wanting to control your own system still, while a the same time wanting to please iOS users by making it available..

Reactions: macduke

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Apple cares about the bottom line $$$
I know they shouldn't get involved with limiting in app purchases but they do micro manage every other aspect.

Its almost like gambling, just waiting for the commission in to in App purchases.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I can't believe the freemium model is working and people are accepting this IAP thing. I can't blame the developers.

Its hard to believe people are not willing to pay $20 for a game but willing to continually pay $1-2 every day forever to achieve anything in any game. In fact, the actual game is built around the strategy of buying stuff to progress in the game. For example, you won't be able to complete a level with out a "paid" weapon or wait obscene amount of real life time to achieve your next goal.

nuwonda

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
IAP will be here as long as people are willing to throw money at it. Personally I really would like to live to see it gone for good... never support IAP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.