Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
But I want to see classic nintendo games on iOS...
Give me the original Super Mario, Pokemon blue/red, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby's adventure and so on

Just get a GPD XD or one of the new portable Raspberry Pis. You'll get a much better experience too and not much more pocket space.

Reactions: Gravydog316

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Lots of delay due to "lower than expected quality" lately at Nintendo.. :(

That's a good thing, not a bad thing. When making a creative product, either you're playing it too safe/conservative and will put out a bland rehash of prior art, or you'll produce something new. Some of that new stuff will be high quality and should be kept. Some of that new stuff will be low quality and should be discarded.

It's good that Nintendo isn't playing it too safe. It's good that Nintendo recognizes the lower quality stuff and is discarding it. Nintendo can take their time to get it right. They've been making phenomenal video games for over 40 years - trust them.

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009

Even though I know they wouldn't release most of their games on iOS, it would be awesome if they released a few of the classics. They could even charge a premium, and people would buy them. I'd pay $20 to have Super Mario Bros on my iPhone or iPad.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
That's a good thing in my book. Others just release it anyway..
It's funny how we interpret news nowadays, this is the kind of interpretation too we get from media everyday.
That's a good thing, not a bad thing. When making a creative product, either you're playing it too safe/conservative and will put out a bland rehash of prior art, or you'll produce something new. Some of that new stuff will be high quality and should be kept. Some of that new stuff will be low quality and should be discarded.

It's good that Nintendo isn't playing it too safe. It's good that Nintendo recognizes the lower quality stuff and is discarding it. Nintendo can take their time to get it right. They've been making phenomenal video games for over 40 years - trust them.
Yes and no, may be i was too short on explaination, it is not that I do not like them taking their time and fixing thing, it is the fact that so much stuff lately need fixing.

To be more clear, delays are normal, too many delays means bad planning, bad quality at the end of a cycle means the check that should have been done in between have been skipped.

While I am glad things get rectified, there should not be the need for so many "fixing".

Yes it is a good nes the big N prefere to fix stuff, and welcome the change, for once a company is fixing before the release and not after, but the trend of let's just make thing and check later should be fixed.

I am sure the big N is pretty pissed right now as redoing Metroid will cost a fortune, and I am sure they learnt a lesson.... may be this Mario Kart was late in the lesson.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Give me the original Super Mario, Pokemon blue/red, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby's adventure and so on

As much as people say this, controls for games like that could be awful.

The "classic" games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong, etc. require VERY precise left/right and jump/run buttons. On-screen buttons have never worked anywhere as close to physical buttons. Fingers slide and drift. You don't have the tactile feel of button edges. You have to keep looking down to make sure you re-center your fingers, etc.

Classic Pokemon games would work, as the D-pad and confirm/cancel buttons don't need to be as precise as they would be for an action game.

Super Mario Run worked very well because it was 90% tap, and 10% swipe, with no precise button presses necessary. Plus, the bottom ~25% of the screen was one big button. As long as your finger wasn't covering the action, it was in the "correct" position.

Animal Cross, Miitomo (RIP), Fire Emblem, and that damned 3GB game that has downloaded about 20GB worth of updates (Dragalia) are slow-paced games that a touch interface is fine for.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
I wish they would come out with an attachable controller that would turn an iPhone into a gameboy. Super Mario Run was fun, but it left a lot to be desired.
There is this thing called the Nintendo Switch. It costs a fraction of what a new baseline 32GB iPhone costs, and comes with controllers and the ability to play high quality games on the go. You can even hook it up to a TV!

Reactions: diego and tkatz

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Really wish they weren't going the fremium route on this one.

Also... I'd love to see a resurgence of Golden Eye on iOS.... Golden EyeOS (See what I did there? :D)

Reactions: 341328

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Switch still has IAP...

But in Nintendo owned games? So far I haven't seen any IAP in the few Nintendo games I have. Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong, NES collection... granted I just got a Switch a few days ago, but I haven't seen any IAP in any of those games.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I am sure the big N is pretty pissed right now as redoing Metroid will cost a fortune, and I am sure they learnt a lesson.... may be this Mario Kart was late in the lesson.

My understanding is that Nintendo didn't have the proper organization for building a Metroid Prime type game. The last time Nintendo made a game that was all about exploring a progressively larger area, where you found items in one area unlocking stuff in another area - was Skyward Sword... and they didn't do it well then. Arguably you have to go all the way back to the original Metroid Prime and Wind Waker.

Odyssey and Breath of the Wild were both cool, but they didn't have item gating like Metroid Prime traditionally does, which I think hugely changes the way you build everything. Ironically, I think it let Nintendo have a bunch of teams working on totally separate parts - one group is working on a desert, another is working on a forest, this one is working on a volcanic area, etc, and that works because there's a tiny fixed set of skills the player has. They all have the same starting point and the player can adventure wherever they want, whenever they want.

Other games Nintendo has made over the last 10 years had very episodic levels - having the same start and end point meant they could be developed by totally separate teams, and the levels could just be rearranged however.

Although... I think I would like to see a Metroid game with that same openness that Breath of the Wild had... I do want item progression like past Metroid games, but having a vast outdoor area without hard item-gating could be cool...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Metroid Prime 4... :(
[doublepost=1548953892][/doublepost]
Sure, but the controls man, the controls... And are people willing to pay 60 bucks for an iOS game? And I think they're not going to cannibalize their Switch.

I agree with you about the controls, but I don't think that they'd be even attempting $60 games or the flagship titles like Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, or Smash Ultimate, so it wouldn't hurt Switch sales.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
But in Nintendo owned games? So far I haven't seen any IAP in the few Nintendo games I have. Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong, NES collection... granted I just got a Switch a few days ago, but I haven't seen any IAP in any of those games.

I think he meant DLC. But yeah, this model of free-to-play and in app purchases needs to die. The gaming scene on iOS is dead to me. It was somewhat decent in the early days of the App Store, but now is just horrible.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sure, but the controls man, the controls... And are people willing to pay 60 bucks for an iOS game? And I think they're not going to cannibalize their Switch.
$60 is a bit high, but I have no problem paying for a quality game, especially if there is no IAP. I am not sure that some of the classic games would cannibalise Switch that much considering what it could bring in.
Personally I think Switch and an iOS version of games target 2 different demographics, as switch is more targeted towards gamers on the go, where as any app on the iOS would be better for those who do not wish to carry and extra gadget but still want to enjoy short sessions once in a while.

"We suggest you buy one of our consoles, handheld or table top, we don't care which."
-someone at Nintendo probably:p:D
Haha true

Your best bet is to buy a 3DS, and a Switch if you can afford both. The 3DS library is gigantic, and there are many classic Nintendo games available for it. I own both systems and still play my 3DS. It’s one of the best systems every created, and it complements the Switch very well since it has a much larger library and I can stick it in my pocket and run out the door.

Amazon still has 3DS systems available, or just get a 2DS if you don’t care about 3D:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS...95862a5e93be3d2d5f1742394c05f2&language=en_US

I recommend the following games:

Mario Kart 7
Monster Hunter Stories
Super Mario 3D Land
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

And that list is just a start, there are ton of other great games for the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are also less expensive than Switch games too. Plus you get actual buttons, and two screens on the 3DS which make playing the games way better than on a phone (though I do love my iPhone, it’s just not as good for gaming).
I will need an extra backpack to carry al that stuff with me:rolleyes:
I actually think my younger brothers have 1 or 2 extra 3DS laying around, especially since one of them just got a switch.

Nintendo doesn’t want that and it’s their games so......
I get that they don't want it, otherwise they would have done it by now, but that will not stop me from wishing for it.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Relax, dad.
[doublepost=1549008755][/doublepost]
They dont want another Super Mario Run on their hands. I applaud that!

didnt even realize a mobile mario kart was in the works
Yeah, it was going to come out last summer :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.