Nintendo DSi Pre-release Preview!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by nintendude, Mar 16, 2009.

1. nintendude macrumors 6502

Nintendo just sent out emails to some Club Nintendo Platinum members allowing them to preview the DSi before actual release!

Attached Files:

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm not cool enough (even with my epic platinum status). Honestly, I don't really care. There probably isn't one near me, and I can easily wait until April 7 to play my own.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's kind of weak.

They didn't do it for the Lite but before the original model was released in the UK if you were a 'VIP' member of their site you could purchase one in advance. Got a free t-shirt too. But just being able to preview the DSi? As I said... weak!

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I was really interested in one of these untill the comparison spec shhet was released. No way am I paying for worse battery life.

5. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Not to mention the bigger screen, two cameras, SD card reader and much better Wi-Fi access. No, this thing is totally not worth it.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Hopefully this release will push down the price of the lite a little.

Im going to pick one up for gta :)

DSi is far too expensive as a games console

Dont want a camera or SD slot.

Screen is bigger, but same resolution, so i wouldnt really say an improvement.

Battery life isnt half as good.

So DS lite makes more sense for my needs :)

7. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I have very little interest in the DSi at this point. I bought a new DS lite 2 weeks ago even though I knew these were coming out, as they're too much ££ and the new features don't interest me too much.

As has been discussed, worse battery life? No thanks. Also anything that can take a picture of your crotch and face at the same time worries me slightly :p

I was wondering (and it clearly won't happen) if it were possible to add some of these features to the regular DS, like the improved wifi and the store? Would it be possible to sell these on a GBA cart that just plugged in and altered the firmware? I might buy that. Until then I'll just wait for the DS2.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm guessing they improved the wi-fi by using different hardware... not software. And the DSi store requires internal memory (thanks to Nintendo not letting us install stuff to SD cards...).

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What, really? I'm not so sure about that.

The shorter battery life is a big turn off for me. Think I'll sit back until they release a higher capacity battery.

10. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I have been a handheld Nintendo user for years now, starting with a GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Advance SP and now the Nintendo DS.

But frankly I am not planning on getting a DSi. I am not convinced that the product is worth it, and I also believe my money would be better spent on other things. ;) :)

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just got a call from Gamestop, telling me that I can collect mine Thursday.

Trading in my old DS and they give you the DSi for €89.99 (as opposed to the €199.99 retail price).

Will trade in a few old games too and hopefully it means it wont cost me any additional € at all.

12. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Do you mean the DS or the DS Lite? I've got an old DS, if they drop the price that much for it I'm definitely doing this. Well, maybe. . . .

Couple of quick questions-
    Is it region locked for old DS games? I'm from the States but just moved to Austria

If it can play the old games, will it still work online with them? I'd like to be able to still play MarioKart and whatnot with friends back home.

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Does anyone know what colours are going to be released? I see a blue there, and I'm quite interested. I'm getting a little bored of all my gadgets being black, as much as I love them.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Battery life going down, not even equal after a couple of years R&D with newer screens, is a huge deal breaker for alot of people. Myself included.

Whats wrong with my DSlite? Nothing.

Camera? Who cares. Bigger screens? See my first gripe.

15. nintendude thread starter macrumors 6502

In the US, its just the blue and black.

In most other countries, I think its black and white.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DS Lite I think.

DS games will remain region free. DSi will be regionalised, but I doubt we will be seeing that many DSi specific titles...

Yep DS games work online as they are still DS games....

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think I'll wait until they drop the price. The turquoise blue (that's available in North America) is ugly.

18. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Released here today. Can hardly wait to have a play on it!

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Lucky Australia! You guys even get it in white, right?
    I'll have my black DSi on Sunday, -$50 from my DS trade in.

Everything has been improved when comparing it to my OLD DS. Well.. except the removal of the GBA slot, but I barely use that.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Whats an improvement? All i see are built in accessories. No improvements, just possible convenience?

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you have an original DS, I could see where the DSi would be a big improvement. However, if you have a DS Lite it's more "meh," but I'll update to it eventually if they start pumping out GB and GBA games on the DSi store.

22. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I think he's referring to the original DS (which I'm still using as well), not the DS Lite, in which case there are definitely improvements with the DSi.

23. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If battery life is down, I'm going to buy a 3rd party battery like I did for my Lite.

I do home the DS Store is a success and has some GBA games to buy, that are compatible with GBA to DS functions. Just to make up for the loss of GBA. :D

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I got mine last night :D

Now only had brief play time as I was busy yesterday and work now...

Screen size isn't that noticeably larger to be honest, it is slightly brighter though.

Camera and application is meh! Fun for 5 minutes and then you think to yourself, an I ever really going to use it ?

Battery life I have no answer yet, the only thing I do hope is that the indicator of battery life is better than on the DS Lite. With my DS lite, there would be next to no indication my battery was low, even on the DS lite menu screen, and then the next minute its blinking red on me and turns itself off. I think I got around 8 hours from the DS lite, but as the indicator was useless, really I'm just guessing. With the DSi I'll just have to see, at the moment it's fully charged anyway...

Menu system is ok, nice little improvement. Haven't bothered with the App store yet...

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, I've had the same DS since the original one launched.