Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Saw this just scrolling through my Facebook timeline and thought it was a promoted page by some one off company trying to cash in on Nostalgia. Scrolled back up to see it's coming from the Big N themselves. Use ports similar to the Wii and Wii U connections.

It comes out just before the holidays as well on November 11th.. mighty convenient. Priced at $60 (In the US at least).

List of games include:
  • Balloon Fight™
  • BUBBLE BOBBLE
  • Castlevania™
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Donkey Kong Jr. ™
  • DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
  • Dr. Mario™
  • Excitebike™
  • FINAL FANTASY®
  • Galaga™
  • GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
  • GRADIUS™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Kid Icarus™
  • Kirby’s Adventure™
  • Mario Bros. ™
  • MEGA MAN® 2
  • Metroid™
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • PAC-MAN™
  • Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics™
  • SUPER C™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
  • Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
  • TECMO BOWL
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

And this is what it looks like:
kOZaZE3.jpg

I'm torn. I like those games and while I am sure my son would love this little thing, $60 US is a little much for 25+ year old games. I also live in Canada so it will cost a little more up here. Can't speak for other countries.

What do you think?

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
I had not seen that (or at least what it was hadn't registered)...thanks for the post. IMO, as long as they didn't mangle the implementation too badly, $60 for SMB, Zelda, and Metroid is a steal. All these years later, I still regularly play all of those games and get nearly the same delight now as way back then.

One thing that concerns me is if that NES has that spring-loaded cartridge mechanism. That design is not very durable/reliable. I was happy when they released a newer version that was just a slot on top...kinda wished they'd released this in that latter configuration.

*Edit

It's too early for my brain to work. I'm sure it's just a tiny little internal flash drive without any cartridges involved...lol. Though, I cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Did you save the link by chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravydog316

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
One thing that concerns me is if that NES has that spring-loaded cartridge mechanism. That design is not very durable/reliable. I was happy when they released a newer version that was just a slot on top...kinda wished they'd released this in that latter configuration.
This device is essentially an emulator, so it makes sense that it would resemble the Classic Entertainment System and not the top loader.

Here is a link to the article from Kotaku.

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
This device is essentially an emulator, so it makes sense that it would resemble the Classic Entertainment System and not the top loader.

Here is a link to the article from Kotaku.

Thanks for the link. You're right, mimicing the design of the original U.S.-based system makes sense. It's also tiny! I see that it also has HDMI. I wonder how the gameplay is? Just exactly like the emulated ports currently available on Wii/Wii U, or due to its nature is it even closer to the original?

If successful, maybe just a matter of time before a mini-SNES follows suit.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Hah, that is awesome. Can't lie, I am interested. Would make a fun Christmas gift from me to me.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Probably made for Nintendo by AtGames (who makes all the other "Flashback" systems).

http://www.atgames.us/Retro-Console_c4.htm

Too bad they didn't make it compatible with old controllers, or the new controller compatible with the original systems.

AtGames made the second version of the Atari Flashback an actual Atari 2600 System with original joystick ports and included remade 2600 Joysticks compatible with old system - was neat (you can use original paddles, driving controllers, and the keypads).

EDIT: AtGames lets you still order the joysticks and paddles for the 2600!

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
I'm going to get one (and probably get one for my niece and nephew), I just wish the controller was wireless. With huge TVs now, a wired controller just doesn't make sense.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I'm going to get one (and probably get one for my niece and nephew), I just wish the controller was wireless. With huge TVs now, a wired controller just doesn't make sense.

Like Atari Flashback, they may make a Version 2 with wireless.

The only problem, if you don't already know, is that the Flashback controllers are IR wireless, so unless you are pointing the controllers directly at the base unit... :eek:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I'm torn. I like those games and while I am sure my son would love this little thing, $60 US is a little much for 25+ year old games. I also live in Canada so it will cost a little more up here. Can't speak for other countries.

What do you think?
It is 2$ per game, including an 'original' controller and HDMI out. I would say it is a steal, if you like older games.

Personally, I might actually pick it up. The only thing I don't like, is yet another box at the TV.. I mean, all of these games are avilable on the Wii's VC, sooo...

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
I would say it is a steal, if you like older games.
Thing is, they have put many of these games out via special editions and virtual consoles multiple times already. Not all of them mind you, but a good many. I know for a fact I have several versions of Super Mario Brothers 3 across handhelds, and versions of the Wii.
It's NZ$120 here which is about a 25% markup after tax. It wouldn't surprise me to see similar markups in other countries.
Ouch. I can see it costing $75-$80 here in Canada.
But. And this is a dangerous thought. What if they also release a Mini SNES.
If it comes bundled with The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Chrono Trigger, and at least one of the Final Fantasy titles (Outside of Mystic Quest), then I will be a kid again, and will lock myself into the bedroom and just play amazing RPGs all day, my wife can fend for herself.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thing is, they have put many of these games out via special editions and virtual consoles multiple times already. Not all of them mind you, but a good many. I know for a fact I have several versions of Super Mario Brothers 3 across handhelds, and versions of the Wii.
Then you are clearly not the target consumer of course...

A SNES model would be something I would love too.

• ActRaiser
  • Aladdin
  • Alien 3
  • Axelay
  • Blackthorne
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Bust-a-Move
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Demon's Crest
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
  • EarthBound
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • EVO: Search for Eden
  • F-Zero
  • Fatal Fury 2
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Final Fight
  • Flashback
  • Gradius III
  • Harvest Moon
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • International Superstar Soccer
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Jungle Strike
  • Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Legend of The Mystical Ninja
  • Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Madden '94
  • Mario Paint
  • Mega Man X
  • Mega Man X2
  • Mega Man X3
  • Metal Warriors
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
  • Out of this World
  • Pilotwings
  • Pocky & Rocky 2
  • Populous
  • R-Type III
  • Rock n' Roll Racing
  • Secret of Mana
  • Shadowrun
  • Sim City
  • Soul Blazer
  • Sparkster
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Sunset Riders
  • Super Bomberman
  • Super Bomberman 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Double Dragon
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Star Wars
  • Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  • Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Super Tennis
  • Super Turrican 2
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
  • Tetris & Dr. Mario
  • Tetris Attack
  • The Adventures of Batman & Robin
  • The Death and Return of Superman
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Lion King
  • The Lost Vikings
  • The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
  • Top Gear 2
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Uniracers
  • UN Squadron
  • Wario's Woods
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
  • Yoshi's Cookie
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I saw an article about this today. My first thought was "MUST BUY", but now I'm not so sure. I think the price is alright but I already have a Wii, Wii U, 3DS for virtual console games, plus an actual NES console that still works great.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

So? They've done it before. Was there some hard limit that a company can re-release there games? We see plenty of this sort of thing on iOS as well

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So? They've done it before. Was there some hard limit that a company can re-release there games? We see plenty of this sort of thing on iOS as well
I agree, it's not like it's the same thing either. The NES mini is a nice little gift type device, with loads of nostalgia value. It's way more interesting than being given a bunch of eShop vouchers. I've got most of them games for my real NES, some on my GBA as NES Classics, a bunch for the 3DS and Wii U eShop, and probably all of them on my various emulation platforms (PSP, android gaming tablet) but I'm still probably going to buy one of these things. It just looks neat!

But. A SNES one. Maybe an N64 one? I'd sooner buy those!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Ditto, my first reaction was "must-buy" but the reality is I didn't start video gaming until the SNES, so I never really played any of these games.

It is interesting the HDMI output appears to put these on a quality level higher than any of the virtual console releases.

Anyway...I'll save my pennies for the SNES version...and (I hope) the N64 version.

BTW, nobody has commented how incredibly shrewd a business decision this is. I'm betting this is a direct product of Mr. Kimishama's leadership. He seems to be a very savvy judge of Western gaming thought and wants, combined with his ability to work within Nintendo's existing culture and system...I'm having huge hopes for Nintendo's future (and that isn't even taking into account the whole Pokemon GO/mobile strategy, which was developed under Mr. Iwata-san).

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Agreed, this was a great idea and will sell very well. I'd love to be able to add more games via an online store or something.

I'm guessing Xmas 2017 we may see a release version 2, with 20-30 more different games. (I'd rather get a retro SNES, but...) I'm betting the cost to open up the system for expansion would drive the price up another couple of bucks, and they wanted to come in at the $59.99 price point, or thereabouts.

Really, at about $2 a game, and such a tiny size, why not get another one loaded with different games, and stack it on top of the first?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I just saw this thread, and I'm buying this if I have the funds (granted, the answer probably will be no for a little while at least as all my money will go towards Pokemon Sun and Moon). The Canadian price of $80 is embarrassing though (come on exchange rate, you can do better than this!), but what can I do about that. Glad that Mega Man 2 is included, but I find it weird that Super C is as well but Contra isn't...

A lot of people have complained about how you can just use emulators or buy the games on VC. First off, emulating is not only illegal (unless you own the game, but that destroys the point of emulating to begin with), but it's not officially supported as well (you HAVE to either use a PC or some weird other device), and the worst case is that it's nothing compared to playing on real highly-advanced hardware/software, as you'll experience tons of input lag for example. On VC, it feels like you're playing on a real console. Second, just buying the games on VC is not a good excuse because a) the cost per game is cheaper: for the US price of the console, you can only purchase 12 games, and b) even if you think that this just prevents you from choosing the games you want, well the whole idea is that no one on Earth will buy all 30 of these games on VC. They packed the most popular and appreciated games of the era into a single console that costs as much as a Wii U title. Plus you get an NES controller that connects to the Wii Remote, and the classic controller vice-versa.

If this is successful, a SNES Classic Edition would be appreciated by me (you better put Mega Man X on that thing if it comes out, Nintendo!), although an N64 Classic Edition seems unlikely. At least not until we get to have Gamecube games on VC (which can't happen on Wii U due to lack of analog triggers). But what I REALLY want is a way to play 3DS games on Wii U like the Game Boy Player and Super Player. What do you think the GamePad's for, use it while we have it ;)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
???

These retro-consoles have no internet access...

I know this. But it would be awesome if they did. Include a WiFi module, build an "app store" that has ALL the NES games for sale for a few bucks each. I would pay more than $60 dollars for that! Even more so if it was a SNES version!

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I know this. But it would be awesome if they did. Include a WiFi module, build an "app store" that has ALL the NES games for sale for a few bucks each. I would pay more than $60 dollars for that! Even more so if it was a SNES version!
For that you have the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console. You have plenty of NES games (a LOT of them) for $5 each. Putting this in a console like this is a big f-you to the Wii U's Virtual Console, considering the console is already selling like crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.