Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Exactly. A lot of the most creative people I know just want to make enough to continue their trade with freedom to experiment.

So how did falling into monetary success stop him from pursuing his art? This has nothing to do with art or greed, it has to do with being emotionally fragile.

If this had happened to most people they would have simply ignored the criticism and moved on to the next project while enjoying the fact that they now had enough money to do what they really wanted to do.

And if you think that piece of crap is art you've got a weird definition of art.

If he wanted to be left alone he should have just put his head down and waited until everyone got bored with his app, which will happen soon enough.

Instead he posted on the internet about how criticism was emotionally bothering him. He really thought that one out.

----------

I don't think so :).
The guy's clearly an introvert and just wants to make games without fame. Not everyone is after lots of money and fame. He probably made enough to live a comfortable life for a few years and to have the financial freedom to make whatever he wanted, it's what I'd do.

You are right, he's clearly and introvert. So, why did he make a game, figure out how to make money off of it and put it on the App Store.

Did he think that no one would review the app? When the natural and logical consequences of someone's actions lead to something they did not want, it's hard to feel sorry for them.

----------

Wow someone values quietness above money and you want to harass him? What type of person does that?

And I suppose the guy who puts tattoos on his face just wants to blend in.

If you want peace and quiet, stay out of the public arena.

He made a terrible mistake by releasing a product that got everyone talking about it.

Then he compounded it by crying about it. If he wanted peace and quiet he just had to get a new email account.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Read this {fake article about suicide}

I am normally a pretty compassionate person, but I almost feel like organizing a campaign to continually spam this guy's social media accounts.

Neither do I... But the man that walked away from 50k a day in revenue to sit on his ass takes away his money maker.... Smells like marketing

This guy gamed his rankings with a botnet service and it got out of control. That's why he took it down. He wants the attention off him but it's too late. He's a scammer.

Stupid developer who makes stupid games makes a stupid mistake.

Got removed becouse the creator is a lazy bum

Y'know, maybe - just maybe - this was exactly the sort of 'attention' that drove the guy to take down his game, take the money he'd made so far and walk away.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Why would Flappy Bird fans be upset? They already have the game and will never lose it.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
This guy gamed his rankings with a botnet service and it got out of control. That's why he took it down. He wants the attention off him but it's too late. He's a scammer.
How do you know that is true?

More likely he is taking the negative reviews and rants about the app. too personally. The game was sadistically hard. I wonder if he did that on purpose.

Also, Someone I know got 149 points on it. :eek:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Y'know, maybe - just maybe - this was exactly the sort of 'attention' that drove the guy to take down his game, take the money he'd made so far and walk away.

He's still making money

----------

Why would Flappy Bird fans be upset? They already have the game and will never lose it.

Until it needs an app update for it not working on iOS 8 or something. Also if apple comes out with a new phone screen size it will never be optimized

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can only comment on my own experiences, but here goes;
So how did falling into monetary success stop him from pursuing his art? This has nothing to do with art or greed, it has to do with being emotionally fragile.

It's quite common with sudden success to feel like you're an impostor, especially if you work alone where nobody else is responsible. It's very hard to describe. Have you had any creative success? It's something that needs to be experienced to understand, I think.

If this had happened to most people they would have simply ignored the criticism and moved on to the next project while enjoying the fact that they now had enough money to do what they really wanted to do.
But when you release a new project or when you start to go back onto social media to promote it and communicate with fans, you're suddenly back in that crazy world.

And if you think that piece of crap is art you've got a weird definition of art.
I consider this game awful with plagiarised gameplay and artwork, though more enjoyable than what large companies try (recent example: Dungeon Keeper on iOS).

If he wanted to be left alone he should have just put his head down and waited until everyone got bored with his app, which will happen soon enough.
And the nastiness would return later. It still will unfortunately.

Instead he posted on the internet about how criticism was emotionally bothering him. He really thought that one out.
And those things do bother creators, at least the ones that pursue games as art and not as "just another job".

----------

[/COLOR]

You are right, he's clearly and introvert. So, why did he make a game, figure out how to make money off of it and put it on the App Store.[/quote]
A lot of the creative people in the games industry are. A lot of people I've met would never release a game by themselves, but in a large team where they can be hidden? Sure. When you care about something you can do feats like that outside of your comfort zone. I've stood infront of huge crowds in foreign lands to talk about my games, but put me in front of a camera for a one on one interview and I crumble even after loads of media training.

Did he think that no one would review the app? When the natural and logical consequences of someone's actions lead to something they did not want, it's hard to feel sorry for them.
When you release a game there's a passion and adrenaline that's like nothing else. It's not a fixed, linear experience like a film; people will play it at their own pace and explore everything they can. Before a launch you think you've made something wonderful that people will enjoy and be on your level with. Even expert designers sometimes don't know how their game will be received.

But yeah, lots of introverts, shy people and in the extreme; unbalanced people release games. There's not a lot to it.

If you want peace and quiet, stay out of the public arena.
He was doing a good job of it until this game. Did you ever play his games before?

And again...
I am normally a pretty compassionate person ... Then he compounded it by crying about it

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It seems that the bigger story (and it's too bad any of this is a story really) is how much of an uproar there is about some random game vs. a game creator deciding to stop publishing the game.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
And again...

However, you failed to highlight "normally." I said that I am normally compassionate to contrast with the fact that in this case I am not being compassionate and don't believe this situation deserves compassion.

It appears we disagree, but the fact that I don't think that this guy deserves our sympathy doesn't mean that I go around kicking dogs.;)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
However, you failed to highlight "normally." I said that I am normally compassionate to contrast with the fact that in this case I am not being compassionate and don't believe this situation deserves compassion.

It appears we disagree, but the fact that I don't think that this guy deserves our sympathy doesn't mean that I go around kicking dogs.;)

If you are that much of an introvert, don't make a product for public consumption.

Was he unaware that people post reviews about apps?

You guys act like this guy was just minding his own business and suddenly everyone attacked him.

I felt bad for Star Wars kid, but I don't feel bad for this guy.

Nor do I feel bad for movie stars who make millions and then are frustrated that someone asks for an autograph when they go out to dinner. It comes with the territory.

This guy should have never made an app if he was too fragile to handle a little feedback.

----------

Then he should have made an app and shared it with his friends not published it where it would be potentially downloaded by millions and subject to scrutiny.

And then he shouldn't have monetized it if he wasn't looking to make money.

Well flappy bird was released back in May last year, didn't hit big until recently, not his first game either. He seemed ok with that tiny success, but then after the google play store launch it skyrocketed, that's a massive load of unexpected attention. Additionally there was the death threats on twitter, can you blame him for wanting to hide away? Getting death threats is no small or laughing matter and you want to further harass him?!?!

Therefore I don't believe you are 'normally' compassionate, that you're just using that as a facade.....

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Well flappy bird was released back in May last year, didn't hit big until recently, not his first game either. He seemed ok with that tiny success, but then after the google play store launch it skyrocketed, that's a massive load of unexpected attention. Additionally there was the death threats on twitter, can you blame him for wanting to hide away? Getting death threats is no small or laughing matter and you want to further harass him?!?!

Therefore I don't believe you are 'normally' compassionate, that you're just using that as a facade.....

Well I certainly have no control over what you believe.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Nintendo should release an exact replica of this game starring Mario in the flying racoon outfit. they'd be out of the red in no time.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

For 50k a day you have my permission to throw eggs at me and spit at me.

If someone is that much of an introvert they can save money and build or buy an island house. 50k a day will get you there fast.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Then he compounded it by crying about it. If he wanted peace and quiet he just had to get a new email account.

Quite possibly running into people like you convinced him it wasn't worth it. While I agree that I find it odd that he's running scared from his success, I'm not in his shoes and it's different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. You don't know him so don't be a jerk. The guy might have a psychological disorder or may be autistic which would make the sudden attention a lot more traumatizing than if it happened to you or me. I say good for him for putting his health and happiness above riches.

LennyHacks

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
With Flappy Bird Cheats by Lenny-Hacks obtain unlimited life and higher scores and get also all of the medals is a new and modern game tool for that hottest on iOS along with Android request today and that is the flappy chicken game. It really is as simple as pie to use because no technical expertise required, but instead it is a point along with click or even tap along with point app that will surely help make your gaming an occasion to treasure and enjoy.

Download Flappy Bird Hack: http://lenny-hacks.net/flappy-bird-cheats-2014-update/

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
As far as I know hes only released like 4 tweets and its been a couple of days since his last. He has hardly done anything to stir up the attention. He simply announced he was taking a game down, gave people a day to download it, and then did as he said.

Yeah, he's been *real* quiet on the subject. //eyes are really rolling right now//

----------

f the flappy bird..it's time for DUCK HUNT.

Again.... can you imagine the coin Nintendo makes with Duck Hunt iOS??????? Forget about NEStalgia alone, this could be bring more people into the Nintendo Universe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.