Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to partner with a third-party car maker to build its rumored self-driving car with reports surfacing in January suggesting that Apple was eyeing Hyundai to be the official partner for Apple Car. Subsequent reports suggest Apple is actively pursuing all of its options and talking to a number of different manufacturers.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-triad.jpg

In the latest round of speculation, Apple reportedly approached Nissan in the last few months about a potential partnership for a self-driving car, according to a paywalled Financial Times report. The report states that negotiations between the two companies were "brief" and that discussions did not make their way to higher executive or leadership levels in either company due to disagreements over the specifics of the Apple Car.

It's worth noting that an older report by Nikkei Asia cited Nissan as one of at least six Japanese automakers that Apple is eyeing for the Apple Car. The report didn't, however, provide specific details as to the progress of any talks, or if Apple is ultimately siding with one carmaker over the others.

Nissan and Apple reportedly clashed over how a partnership would actually play out. Nissan reportedly was concerned that a deal with Apple would downgrade Nissan to simply a "hardware supplier." The Apple Car is expected to be fully branded by Apple, including Apple software and design. While Apple holds the in-house ability to design its own software and hardware, it's not positioned to build the actual hardware at a mass scale, which is why a partnership is considered to be a hallmark of the project itself.

During an earnings presentation, Nissan's COO Ashwani Gupta stated that Nissan is open to partnerships, but only if the opposite party adapts to Nissan's services, not vice versa. The COO said that Nissan has its own customer base to satisfy and that it will not "change the way" it makes cars.

Earlier in the year following reports of a potential tie-up with Apple, Hyundai's shares surged by more than 25% but remained volatile after negotiations came to a standstill. Attempting to avoid from a similar scenario, Nissan quickly and unequivocally confirmed in a statement that it's "not in talks" with Apple but remains open to working with other companies.

Apple remains a tightly secretive company that rarely confirms the existence of unreleased products and projects. The statement by Hyundai earlier in the year confirming it's in negotiations with the tech giant undoubtedly upset Apple executives as it was seen as a confirmation that Apple is pursuing a partnership for a potential self-driving car. The statement was quickly reworded to remove mention of Apple, and soon after, talks between the two came to a screeching halt.

Despite the plentiful number of reports about Apple's self-driving car, sources suggest that we won't be seeing it on the road until at least 2026. Bloomberg reports that the Apple Car is "nowhere near production stage," and that a release is at least half a decade away. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, one of the most reputable analysts for Apple, still believes that despite Hyundai's mishap, Apple will ultimately side with the carmaker as the official partner for its self-driving car ambitions.

Article Link: Nissan Denies Reports of Apple Car Partnership Discussions

Last edited:

acalegari

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
I guess it's a bit of a gamble for an established automaker to use its capacity to build a competitor car; I'd also think what are the kind of margins Apple would be looking at...

Whereas they might succeed in partnering up with a company, it's indeed a big risk for a computer company to go that way. Imagine lawsuits, bad press, etc if the AutoPilot (maybe Siri) crashes and cause fatalities!

I'd rather have them investing big time on their mac ecosystem and provide real VR, proper support for gaming, an enterprise ecosystem (so it can start taking the windows space from corporate environments), etc...

Last edited:
Comment

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
Apple is slowly realizing Tesla is becoming the one to partner with.
That would be the least sensible option.

- Apple needs a partner that has a support network and can produce both quanity and quality

- Apple would provide the IT/UI so someone who is lagging behind here makes sense

- Apple seems to care very much about a partner not running his mouth ........ Elon Musk.......

Comment

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I imagine the terms that Apple would be wanting would not be favourable to the car maker. But, you'd be a fool not to get into bed with them. If Apple is making a car, you can't help but imagine it's going to do well. And, I'll probably even buy one, when it's about 20 years old and in my price range.

Comment

aknabi

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Thing is don't think Tesla would partner with Apple (and the personality of Elon wouldn't mesh with a joint... as in venture... other joints do mynesh)... Nissan is behind on their core e-tech...

Hyundai actually has an excellent platform to start with and aren't a brand that has to be "in the lead" so still hoping that works out (well hope any good partner works out and we see a AAPL car before 2030).

Comment

laptech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Somebody is trying their hardest to find out which car manufacturer Apple is going to partner with to make the Apple car because for the past few months MR has made threads reporting on car manufacturers denying they are working with Apple. Some of the biggest names in the car industry have denied they are working with Apple but yet the search continues. Someone is making up the story, they release it to the media and then we see the car manufactuer that is named in the rumour, denying they are involved with Apple.

It's the oldest journalist trick in the book. If you want to force someone to admit or deny something, you make up a fake story, release it to the media which due to the amount of public interest forces those named in the fake story to make a statement. This is what is happening with the car industry and Apple.

Comment

TheNotch

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
No self-respecting car makers who have long and rich histories of innovating cars want to be seen as simply a supplier to Apple. Doing so would greatly hurt their reputation and potentially lose their loyal customers.

Comment

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple does play hard-ball, so car companies will be very wary of signing a deal with Apple. And of course Apple will play off car companies against the others.
They are alot details that need to be agreed upon. Multiple teams of lawyers on both sides will going through it with a microscope.

Comment

Batten

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
I guess it's a bit of a gamble for an established automaker to user its capacity to build a competitor; I'd also think what are the kind of margins Apple would be looking at...

Whereas they might succeed in partnering up with a company, it's indeed a big risk for a computer company to go that way. Imagine lawsuits, bad press, etc if the AutoPilot (maybe Siri) crashes and cause fatalities!

I'd rather have them investing big time on their mac ecosystem and provide real VR, proper support for gaming, an enterprise ecosystem (so it can start taking the windows space from corporate environments), etc...
It’s very common for auto companies to share ‘platforms’ amongst themselves. I don’t think many of these automakers would see a problem with that. For example, Nissan buys the platform for the QX30 from Mercedes. Nissan gets a fancy mini SUV, Mercedes gets to share development costs.

Comment

Macropanda

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
For each manufacturer in cars.manufacturers
reportToNews("Apple makes deal with" & manufacturer & " to make Apple car."
wait timevalue(now + 3 days)
reportToNews(manufacturer & " denies Reports of Apple Car Partnership Discussions"
next manufacturer

Comment

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020

- Apple needs a partner that has a support network and can produce both quanity and quality

- Apple would provide the IT/UI so someone who is lagging behind here makes sense

- Apple seems to care very much about a partner not running his mouth ........ Elon Musk.......

yes 👏

Apple could/should try an Indian car maker and replace all those auto-rickshaw tuk tuk vehicles all over Asia. Those little vehicles are very dirty. They are very plentiful though and replacing them with a clean running tuk tuk with classic 1998 iMac style design would be a hit. They could be used by Uber/Lyft drivers everywhere.

Comment

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

- Apple needs a charging network. No other charging network comes close to Tesla's Supercharging network

- Pushing OS updates to a phone vs pushing car firmware updates are two entirely separate things. And Tesla is far ahead of all other car manufacturers when it comes to OTA updates so suggesting that Apple should deny Tesla specifically for your given reason doesn't quite make sense when it applies to any manufacturer.

- Apple has been touting "Made/Assembled in USA". Tesla is far ahead in EV manufacturing than any other USA manufacturer.

- Apple has already committed to 100% carbon neutral for its supply chain and products by 2030. Tell me how Apple is going to keep its commitment when a manufacturing partner is literally paying Tesla because the car they make produces too much pollution (regulatory credits)?

Last edited:
Reactions: LooZpl
Comment

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Looks like I found the person that shorted Tesla.
Actually I made money from that scam and I never shorted anything in my life. I’m not one of these BS trading people who short...or manipulate markets with tweets.

Based on Elon’s behavior and appearance he is about 1-2 years away from mental and physical collapse. This is what happens when one is internally wrecked with guilt, making internet buddies with trolls and scammers, not sleeping properly, ignoring advice from economic and science experts, disrespectful to many people, let illusion of power go to the head.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LooZpl
Comment

Infinitatus

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
Tesla prefers progresión over quality. Tesla has been a side project for Elon Musk. Apple still values quality.

Reactions: ArPe
Comment

acalegari

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
As a hardware/software company they could instead provide an add on, like car play, to the next level. You buy a car from anywhere and add the optional carkit? Like the old days of CarPlay. At least this way apple would remain apple.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.