Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
How effective is Avid with nMP? Will it perform like crazy? or perform like handicapped person?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
My son is an editor at a post house in NYC. They cut with Avid, and had been using cMPs. I asked him how they liked the nMP and he wrote me, "It's been fine so far, much better than the tower."

That's all I can tell you.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
My son is an editor at a post house in NYC. They cut with Avid, and had been using cMPs. I asked him how they liked the nMP and he wrote me, "It's been fine so far, much better than the tower."

That's all I can tell you.
I appreciate your answer. You're statement gives me some idea how effective it might run with nMP.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I have. He sometimes works weekends, no surprise there, but I think not this weekend. I've asked him for core count and video card information. I might not know until Monday, though. I doubt he can give that information off the top of his head. The shop is big enough to have full time technical people, so the editors don't have to mess with hardware and specs unless they want to.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I have. He sometimes works weekends, no surprise there, but I think not this weekend. I've asked him for core count and video card information. I might not know until Monday, though. I doubt he can give that information off the top of his head. The shop is big enough to have full time technical people, so the editors don't have to mess with hardware and specs unless they want to.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Here's the answer.

They're running the 6-core 3.5 GHz with 16 GB RAM and D500s. They also use the Matrox MXO2 mini, which he says "isn't great."

They're running OS X 10.9.4, and Avid MC 08. I haven't checked, but as you must know it takes Avid a very long time to move on to a new version of OS X. That's probably why they're using 10.9.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Here's the answer.

They're running the 6-core 3.5 GHz with 16 GB RAM and D500s. They also use the Matrox MXO2 mini, which he says "isn't great."

They're running OS X 10.9.4, and Avid MC 08. I haven't checked, but as you must know it takes Avid a very long time to move on to a new version of OS X. That's probably why they're using 10.9.
Surprisingly, Avid now says that MC 8.5 is supported on El Capitan, however they don't recommend using it. The current Mac Pro is an Avid certified platform for their software, so there should be no issues running it. I support a lab full of 6-core nMPs, and they're fine.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Here's the answer.

This is interesting. I don't really know much about AVID's history...but from what you told me the currently setting (10.9 and MC 08) would be running smoothly. Avid really need to step up.
[doublepost=1456182963][/doublepost]
Surprisingly, Avid now says that MC 8.5 is supported on El Capitan, however they don't recommend using it. The current Mac Pro is an Avid certified platform for their software, so there should be no issues running it. I support a lab full of 6-core nMPs, and they're fine.
Why wouldn't they recommend it?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
This is interesting. I don't really know much about AVID's history...but from what you told me the currently setting (10.9 and MC 08) would be running smoothly. Avid really need to step up.
[doublepost=1456182963][/doublepost]
Why wouldn't they recommend it?
They're very conservative. No doubt they know of a few situations where it might not perform as expected. The larger post houses are extremely conservative too -- my son's shop waits a very long time before updating anything. They cannot afford to update and then discover that something's not quite right.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
They're very conservative. No doubt they know of a few situations where it might not perform as expected. The larger post houses are extremely conservative too -- my son's shop waits a very long time before updating anything. They cannot afford to update and then discover that something's not quite right.
This is not how people should live their life doing video or etc....by waiting for the company up to actually update.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Yet that's exactly how people doing production video work do it: get a workflow that's solid, and stay with it. Avid has always been conservative. It's a big deal if their systems fail while in production.
Details on Avid's thinking of El Capitan are here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/...ia-Composer-Pro-Tools-Sibelius-EUCON-and-ISIS
Thanks for info....but why are they so conservative? Reputation? I understand that the company is household name...but...really?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for info....but why are they so conservative? Reputation? I understand that the company is household name...but...really?
When you're in the middle of making a movie or an album, you have to really know that your stuff is going to work.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
When you're in the middle of making a movie or an album, you have to really know that your stuff is going to work.
That is very very true. Are you currently using avid? If so, is it perfectly working at this time?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
What chrfr said is exactly what I've understood. It's nothing new. There can be hundreds of thousands of dollars involved in post work, and non-negotiable deadlines.

A company that risks its reputation (not to mention cash flow) on unproven upgrades is a company that's not going to be around very long.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I haven't tried Avid on a nMP but it runs great on the 12 Core Tower my suite has at the studio, from what I've heard the nMP will out-perform at at the very least.

However, what do you plan on doing within avid? Are you just doing Offline edits or will you be running Symphony for onlines? Software only or Hardware as well?

My Mac Pro runs with an Avid Nitris box which is great for printing or ingesting but would be a bit of a pain I would think with a nMP because you'd need a TB PCI enclosure for the card. I think that would be the major drawback of it. if you need a Hardware IO than you are increasing your cost a lot and having to deal with things being external.

As for 8.5 and El Capitan, I wouldn't worry too much. There are some buggy issues with AMAed RED footage but only if you try to cut with it and that's a bad idea in general. Plus I think it only affects the 12-Core Tower, not the nMP. Aside from that it seems pretty stable.

In general companies do avoid updating things unless they have to because it could break SOMETHING and result in a deadline getting missed. However once avid decides that an OS is compatible it's usually okay. I run Mavericks at work for a few reasons (mainly because of our Fibre Channel shared storage) but I have an Avid License at home on El Capitan that runs fine.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I haven't tried Avid on a nMP but it runs great on the 12 Core Tower my suite has at the studio, from what I've heard the nMP will out-perform at at the very least.

However, what do you plan on doing within avid? Are you just doing Offline edits or will you be running Symphony for onlines? Software only or Hardware as well?

My Mac Pro runs with an Avid Nitris box which is great for printing or ingesting but would be a bit of a pain I would think with a nMP because you'd need a TB PCI enclosure for the card. I think that would be the major drawback of it. if you need a Hardware IO than you are increasing your cost a lot and having to deal with things being external.

As for 8.5 and El Capitan, I wouldn't worry too much. There are some buggy issues with AMAed RED footage but only if you try to cut with it and that's a bad idea in general. Plus I think it only affects the 12-Core Tower, not the nMP. Aside from that it seems pretty stable.

In general companies do avoid updating things unless they have to because it could break SOMETHING and result in a deadline getting missed. However once avid decides that an OS is compatible it's usually okay. I run Mavericks at work for a few reasons (mainly because of our Fibre Channel shared storage) but I have an Avid License at home on El Capitan that runs fine.
Well I'm planning to edit videos through either premiere pro or avid media. At this time, I don't think I don't think I would need hardware io but what do they go for?
[doublepost=1456267046][/doublepost]
What chrfr said is exactly what I've understood. It's nothing new. There can be hundreds of thousands of dollars involved in post work, and non-negotiable deadlines.

A company that risks its reputation (not to mention cash flow) on unproven upgrades is a company that's not going to be around very long.
That would be critical and not only that but reputation would be at stake.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Well I'm planning to edit videos through either premiere pro or avid media.

I can tell you what my son said when I told him I wanted to shift away from FCP X. He said I'd be better served by Premiere Pro (I already have a CC licence) than by Avid, considering that I would be working alone (rather than in a shared environment, which is where Avid excels) and that he thought PP was much easier to work with.

I'm not going to be going out there looking for a job cutting, so having Avid experience is unimportant to me.

I'm still using FCP X, because I haven't found time to set about learning a new editor. I used Premiere back around the turn of the century, and Avid DV at about the same time, but those old versions didn't give me a leg up on their modern descendents. I'm planning to give PP a go one of these days.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I can tell you what my son said when I told him I wanted to shift away from FCP X. He said I'd be better served by Premiere Pro (I already have a CC licence) than by Avid, considering that I would be working alone (rather than in a shared environment, which is where Avid excels) and that he thought PP was much easier to work with.

I'm not going to be going out there looking for a job cutting, so having Avid experience is unimportant to me.

I'm still using FCP X, because I haven't found time to set about learning a new editor. I used Premiere back around the turn of the century, and Avid DV at about the same time, but those old versions didn't give me a leg up on their modern descendents. I'm planning to give PP a go one of these days.
Oh i see. I guess PP would be more efficient if that was the case.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Both Premiere Pro and Avid MC 8 have 30 day free trials. So if you already have a Mac they can run on, why not do the free trials? There are tutorials out there on the web, and you can at least get a feel for the differences in the UI.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Both Premiere Pro and Avid MC 8 have 30 day free trials. So if you already have a Mac they can run on, why not do the free trials? There are tutorials out there on the web, and you can at least get a feel for the differences in the UI.
Good point! I haven't really thought about that till now.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...(I already have a CC licence)...I'm still using FCP X, because I haven't found time to set about learning a new editor....I'm planning to give PP a go one of these days.

I use both PP CC and FCPX. If you currently or ever plan on shooting H264 4k in the future (even if you never deliver 4k), be sure to test the timeline performance of PP CC vs FCPX on H264 4k before you make the move.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Well I'm planning to edit videos through either premiere pro or avid media. At this time, I don't think I don't think I would need hardware io but what do they go for?

Depends what type you're looking for. The Nitris Box I use isn't made anymore as Avid moved away from the hardware game and basically just gave their business to Black Magic. A comparable product to the avid hardware is the UltraStudio line which conveniently does work via Thunderbolt so no need for external PCI. They range from around $140 (For just HDMI and SDI Out) to $2900 for a full studio version that has everything you could ever possibly need for IO.

Honestly though, unless you need a client monitor, you could go without hardware. If you need a full screen monitor even the lower to mid-end Black magic would do the trick, unless you need 4K. I believe that you only get 4K playback support from the top two tiers which will set you back $1500+.

We use the Nitris box because we still print / capture from tape and colour on a broadcast spec monitor. However if you don't need those capabilities than software only or a very simple client monitor box would do the trick for you.

---

As for your questions regarding Software choice. As mentioned, Avid is king in a shared storage environment. Unity, Facilis, ISIS (terrible name Avid), etc all work amazing with Avid but they are costly and not at all necessary if you are working on projects on your own. If that's the case, most people do find Premier does very well. It's about the only main NLE I don't have experience with so I can't say for certain but I know a former colleague used avid for %+ years and switched seamlessly to Premiere and loves it. Barely any transcoding, strong features, and a solid price considering you get the rest of the CC Suite as well.

Definitely try them both out(although obviously stagger the trials to get the most out of both) and see which one you personally like more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.