nMP or Mini or MBP? stuck between a rock and ....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tubiux, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tubiux macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I need some advice, as I really can't make up my mind on which way to go.

My current setup
    MBP late 2008 - dual HDDs, 8Gb ram; new battery BUT still occational shutdowns, which has caused problems more than once in the past few months.

iMac 27" 2011 - SSD + HDD, fully upgraded ram etc. - works perfectly.
    --------------
    I'm using the MBP in my studio, but with the occational shutdowns, I really can't trust this computer anymore, so I gotta get a new. A thought has been to get the new MP as it's small, so I can easily transport it to the studio, and then bring it back home, kinda like the MBP. I have monitors in each place, so that's not a major issue. Then it comes to my imac, I really can't see myself having a perfectly fine imac sitting next to a new Mac Pro, that's completely overkill, so selling both the MBP and the IMAC is an option, but then I loose a really nice 27" monitor, and for the price I could sell the imac, I could barely get a new 27" thunderbolt display, so that path would force me to get a cheaper monitor at home (even though I already have one external monitor - 26" regular HD monitor).

What would you guys suggest? Mac Mini is the cheapest way by far, but needless to say, I really dig the new sexy MP, and the fact that I could use it for many years to come is a really nice thing.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you ask for advice on MacRumors, then you don't need the Mac Pro.
    A new quad core MacMini will run rings around that MBP of yours.

3. Bear macrumors G3

And would be much easy to carry around than a Mac Pro

4. Wahlstrm, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

How much is the extra 16% worth to you?

For tasks _not_ using the GPU the difference in performance is not really that noticeable. Do you need dual GPU and more than 16GB of ram?

(I don´t want to buy rev01, tired of paying to be a beta-tester. So I bought the Mini and will probably sell it when nMP haswell comes out).

[​IMG]

5. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I second the imprudence of buying "Revision A" hardware ... although, like the OP, I lust after the nMP. However:

The mini, lacking any recent update, would be off the table for me because of the graphics capabilities ... or rather, the lack thereof.

There seem to be a plethora of problems with the 15" rMBPs. I wish I could buy one confident I won't get a yellow-screen version. Seeing all the horror stories here robs me of that confidence.

So ... not being particularly willing to roll the dice on new hardware, paying an Apple premium for outdated hardware, or consigning myself to a round of swap-and-exchange with a rMBP, I'm choosing to keep my cash in the bank for the time being. My 2011 MBP is working fine ... albeit connected to a TBD and rocking a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM.

All that said, if there's a new mini in the morning, I'm certainly willing to buy now!

6. tubiux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I know, the nMP is overkill, but I think the idea of buying a MM now, and buy a MP within a few years, after all the rev 1 issues, when it's time to upgrade from my iMac, is a very good one. I'll most likely go that route.

Thanks for your time.