nMP Ram Ponderings

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Selsk, May 22, 2018.

1. Selsk macrumors member

So I just got a cheap 32gb ram kit off amazon. It's like $150 for the proper spec ECC ram of 4, 16gb dims. Timetec is the brand. I originally had the stock 16gb of 4 dims.

I ran a Geekbench test before the switch and got 3949. After with the new ram I got a slightly lower score, like 3918 or something...I didn't write it down. :/

Kind of a bummer...but I was kind of expecting this since I had read that the Error Correction process adds an additional step for the ram and thus, is a bit slower than non ECC?

I just want some opinions. Would you keep the 32gb? I was thinking or getting another 32gb later on for 64 total.

Should I instead use the largest non ecc ram? Get 4 8gb chips instead to have a max of 32gb of quicker ram?
    Im not 100% sure that 8gb chips are even available in non ecc. Maybe someone can answer that. I'm not so technical...apologies.

Also I just want to add I did try mixing my new ram with a couple of the 4gb old Mac chips but it just beeped at me and wouldn't boot. ;)

My intention for the ram was to speed things up in general Lightroom / Photoshop. But also to get that sweet extra 1 FPS gaming in windows.

Maybe its just that I have bottom shelf ram? I'm curious if OWC or crucial $$$$ ECC ram would make any difference.

Thanks for reading. Any expert opinions are welcome.

2. AidenShaw, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

maxresdefault[1].jpg

Seriously, why sacrifice reliability, integrity, and maintainability for an almost unmeasurable performance boost?

If something takes an hour (3600 seconds) at a Geekbench of 3949, it will take less than 30 seconds longer at a Geekbench of 3918. Will you notice 30 seconds per hour? Do you trust that Geekbench is even useful for predicting the performance of the applications in your workflow?

3. Selsk thread starter macrumors member

My bad. When I was talking about ECC vs non ECC... What I meant was Unbuffered vs Registered.

I meant 32GB via four 8GB ECC UDIMMs

vs 32GB via 2 two 16GB ECC RDIMM

Honestly the computer is powerful enough. I'm now just going for any measurable boost that I can (for fun).
    Mostly curiosity.

4. AidenShaw, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Four DIMMs are better than two - the CPU has four interleaved memory channels.

Not a big difference on most applications because of the big caches. Look at a long discussion of memory configs at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...th-various-mem-configs.1704700/#post-18745317

5. Selsk thread starter macrumors member

I was wondering about that. Thanks. That link is gold!
    Might have to get another two dims of this cheap ram next month.