no.1 bluetooth headset or headphones for jogging

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jalyst, Nov 11, 2010.

1. jalyst, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

jalyst macrumors regular

Hey all, thanks for peeking! :D My criteria is:
    Stereo BT headset or headphones (mic isn’t critical but slightly preferred)...
    For no more than $150 USD (not inc. post), that’s sturdy enough for regular jogging.

Any thoughts on which you’d pick & why? Not interested in different suggestions at this late stage.
    Also not interested in adapters like the BH-214 or MW600, I want everything built into the headset/phone.

I’m trying to decide between…

-BH-504 $105 AUD (Megabuy or Bidbox, both in Qld, may be able to collect)
    There's one slightly better price, but that entails shipping from another state, not certain how good this'll be for jogging.

-MM 100 $154 AUD (Ordio in NSW, JB has in-stock, see if they can do same)
    Cheapest price in Oz (believe me, I've searched baby) is about $205, I was able to get retailer to lower it to $154, w00t!

-BH-505 $69 AUD (Megabuy in Qld, only do mail-out, see if can collect)
    Pretty cool all up, unfortunately there's just too much chatter about them breaking with excessive exercise/sweat :(
    _________
    Scratched:

-S10-HD $?? AUD
    Still not ****ing available anywhere in Oz as far as I can see...
    And most of M's supposed "official retailers" don't have any of their headsets, or only have models prior to the S9 etc.

-Backbeat 903+ $?? AUD
    As best as I can tell not in Oz yet, & comparatively poor distribution anyway.
    Many sources indicate that this (like the 505) is not terribly "ruggedised"...
    I don't expect the newer S10 to be notably better or worse in other areas, but it's likely to be more ruggedized.

-BH-503
    Older tech than BH-504/505, one e.g: uses BT 2.0, not BT 2.1 EDR...
    All reviews/commentary are old, searching for comparisons reveals that the 505 is superior all-up & a natural successor.
    But the 503 does have less reported issues with jogging etc...

-PX 210 BT (headphones)
    Too pricey & I need a headset "yesterday", so I'm not going to order a cheaper one from overseas.
    Even if I did, I doubt I'd find it for $150USD anywhere...

Thanks again.

2. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Great post!
    I'm thinking of getting the BH-505 but I don't have any experience in this area. The BH-505 just seemed right for jogging, low weight, behind the head design and the reviews I found were good.

3. brvheart macrumors 6502

Let me suggest over the ear - I have the S10-HD and they hurt my ears after running for a while. Not due to sound, but physically.

4. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, what do you mean by "over the ear"?
    Isn't that essentially what the S10-HD is?

5. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's def. still on the short-list, about to knock a few off, & add more detail.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

S10-HD would be considered in ear. Over the ear would be like the 503's

7. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

ah he meant circumaural, thanks for clarifying :)

8. jalyst, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

So it's looking unlikely I'll find the MM 100 or PX 210 BT for $150 or less in Australia.
    Apple Store US has the MM 100, but strangely Apple Store Australia doesn't.
    It has the PX 210 BT, but it's waaaaay over $150....

MM 100 seems to come under $150 USD in other parts of the word...
    And there may be one or two retailers that can ship (at a reasonable price) here.
    Haven't yet found the PX 210 BT for $150 or less, if anyone knows plz lemme know!

I'm scratching 903+ as there seems to be a very weak (if any) retail channel presence here.
    Only place I've found (using local engines) is a retailer based in Hong-Kong.
    This is always a good sign that regional support is likely to be *****....
    If anyone thinks it's a stand-out amongst the others lemme now why & I'll keep it in the list.

Thanks.

9. jalyst, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Think I'll got into some local stores and actually try the remaining 4 on my list (see OP).

Because the MM 100 and PX 210 BT will have to be bought overseas to get them down to $150 or less...
    They'll have to be exceptional for me to consider one of them over the S10-HD or BH-504!

Ordering iTouch 4G in the meantime, any further advice/thoughts greatly appreciated.

10. Jooles macrumors member

I plan on buying the S10-HD but can't seem to find a retailer that ships to Canada :(

Anyone?

11. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Check your PM for a suggestion :)

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

13. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but personally I'd rather focus on estb. brands like senn, nokia, motorola, & plantronics.
    Plus Jaybird don't seem to have much of local retail channel, whereas the aforementioned do (plantronics to a lesser extent).
    Hope to add more detail to my rationale for ruling in/out items on my short-list soon....

14. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

I'm not sure what your definition of jogging is, but for running, I use Sennheiser/Adidas PDX 680, and I absolutely love them. Perhaps they make a bluetooth variant?

15. jalyst, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

Thanks,
    There is a few other nice Senn. BT headsets & headphones, but they're all out of my price range.
    The only two that just fall in, are on my short-list.

16. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Ok. Out of your suggestions, I'd suggest the Motorolas, based entirely on form-factor. I don't know how ANYONE would be able to run with massive cans strapped to their ears, let alone look like a total goof-ball. And if you sweat as much as I do while running, you'll thank yourself for getting some low-profile, over-the-ear (and in-ear) headphones.

17. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Yes the PX 210 BT and BH-504 are circumaural cans.
    But they're not full circumaural... (I forget the proper term)
    i.e. they don't cover the entire ear, instead they sit on-top & are typically a bit smaller than the entire ear.

I've jogged with some corded PX 200 for many years.
    Granted I normally don't jog in the streets, but out on some fields nearby :)
    Where there's only a low volume of people passing through with their dogs etc.

I actually never found the PX 200 to be uncomfortable, so if they're close to it in design, then I'll be fine.

But I see your point, S10-HD are prolly better suited...
    Then again others are saying they're uncomfortable, & have other issues etc, so not 100% sure yet.

18. wllnv19 macrumors newbie

motorola S-10 HD

I purchased these this weekend an issue I have is they do sometimes cut out. Seems to happen more often if I look up.Tracking songs forward and back as well as answering calls works fine

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I got the Mot S10HD and they're OK, the sound is what you would expect (no bass mostly, and kinda tinny sounding)...

But they connect pretty fast, and the controls on the ears are pretty easy to use..

20. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have your phone in a wrist pouch when running, should be less of an issue then?

Have you experimented with the ear pieces? See this review, excerpt:

So how does music sound through the S10-HD? The S9-HD was a solid performer, easily improving upon the original S9, and the S10-HD keeps the reputation going strong. But to tell you more about the characteristics of the sound quality I need to go back to the earpieces....

21. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Wish I could comment about the S9's, but didn't have them. My problem is that I come from using some Bose QC3s during the day at my office, and the S10s, are, well, bass-less :p

I tried swapping the rubber earpieces indeed, and only tried the more rounded ones, and didn't fit in my ears... I'll try the wider ones.

22. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Let us know if the sound improves slightly IYO....
    From many accts I've read now, the right selection (so long as it's not totally at odds with your earshape) does make a difference.

23. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I'm not so sure this is going to practical... :eek:

It means I'll have to go to four different stores all over the place.
    Even then I'll be lucky if they're all happy to take the item out of it's packaging.

I'll just have to continue the "hard slog" of gathering info. off the net.
    I may be able to rule-out the PX 210 BT soon anyway, as I doubt I'll find it for $150 or less.

24. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I almost bought a pair of the Moto S9s but after reading post after post in reviews at places like Amazon where they died after a month when used jogging, I just ordered a Jaybird SB2 instead. Should have it soon. Hopefully the Moto S10 is a better design like the rview posted above mentions.

25. jalyst, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

The problem is, people rarely comment when they have a good experience.
    They usually only comment when they're pissed-off about an item! :)

Yes there's often more +ve reviews for some products...
    But that's typically the the "tip of the iceberg" so-to-speak, & a sure sign that the product is excellent.

I still haven't decided which of the four finalists to get yet.
    But I'm going to "bite the bullet" any day now... :D