Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you rather have had:

• 3D Touch Allowing Pressure-Sensitive Art Programs and Awesome Text Editing Controls

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • An Almost Useless Third Camera

Votes: 74 44.0%
  • Neither (Not Buying Pro Model)

Votes: 27 16.1%

• Total voters

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Removing 3D Touch seems like a horrible mistake. This is a pro-level feature that many of us have come to rely on every day.

I use 3D Touch many times per day in ways that I don't think can be replaced by haptic features.

For example in ProCreate, 3D Touch allows you to have pressure sensitivity while drawing or painting.

3D Touch is also very useful when editing text, since you can 3D Touch anywhere on the iOS virtual keyboard to transform it into a trackpad, letting you move the insertion point to exactly where you want it, and also letting you select text. I use this all the time.

The replacement is to "hold the spacebar" to activate that same mode—however, this causes your finger to start off at the bottom of the screen, meaning that you cannot drag very far downwards to select text.

Consider also that this gesture is often the ONLY way to scroll a text field on a website, due to all the broken HTML5 implementations that intercept your swipe gestures, and you quickly realize the scale and scope of a mistake it is to remove 3D Touch.

As well, there's an app I created that uses 3D Touch to people with certain types of hand injuries and deformities to perform actions that would normally require them to push an on-screen button (something they can't do while also holding the device). Now if someone buys a new device, it's not going to work. That's really crappy of Apple, IMHO.

Finally, for the cost of an iPhone Pro, users do not expect to lose features like this. It seems like Apple is just removing features to make more profit margin, after getting us hooked on a superior platform. This is the opposite of innovation.

After hearing of this, I googled it and saw many articles that said 3D Touch was only used for pop-up menus on app icons, and that many users didn't even know about it. Well obviously that's false—many apps like iMovie and Garage Band had 3D Touch support for editing things, it was brilliant. Not to mention it was amazing to finally get touch-sensitivity for art programs. Considering how many of us are artists and musicians that use these apps a lot, it seems like a really lame sacrifice.

To me, the solution would have been to enhance the UI further, to give better indications of when something is able to be "3D-touched". They should also add something useful to contextual menus, such as the suggestion I made to Apple several times that they keep ignoring, which is to let you send an app to a folder from that pop-up menu, instead of forcing you to drag it all the way across 10 pages of apps and folders that get all screwed up if you drop something in the wrong place.

So what did we get in exchange for losing 3D touch? A THIRD camera? Did we really need a third camera, really guys?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Removing 3D Touch seems like a horrible mistake. This is a pro-level feature that many of us have come to rely on every day.

I use 3D Touch many times per day in ways that I don't think can be replaced by haptic features.

For example in ProCreate, 3D Touch allows you to have pressure sensitivity while drawing or painting.

3D Touch is also very useful when editing text, since you can 3D Touch anywhere on the iOS virtual keyboard to transform it into a trackpad, letting you move the insertion point to exactly where you want it, and also letting you select text. I use this all the time.

The replacement is to "hold the spacebar" to activate that same mode—however, this causes your finger to start off at the bottom of the screen, meaning that you cannot drag very far downwards to select text.

Consider also that this gesture is often the ONLY way to scroll a text field on a website, due to all the broken HTML5 implementations that intercept your swipe gestures, and you quickly realize the scale and scope of a mistake it is to remove 3D Touch.

As well, there's an app I created that uses 3D Touch to people with certain types of hand injuries and deformities to perform actions that would normally require them to push an on-screen button (something they can't do while also holding the device). Now if someone buys a new device, it's not going to work. That's really crappy of Apple, IMHO.

Finally, for the cost of an iPhone Pro, users do not expect to lose features like this. It seems like Apple is just removing features to make more profit margin, after getting us hooked on a superior platform. This is the opposite of innovation.

After hearing of this, I googled it and saw many articles that said 3D Touch was only used for pop-up menus on app icons, and that many users didn't even know about it. Well obviously that's false—many apps like iMovie and Garage Band had 3D Touch support for editing things, it was brilliant. Not to mention it was amazing to finally get touch-sensitivity for art programs. Considering how many of us are artists and musicians that use these apps a lot, it seems like a really lame sacrifice.

To me, the solution would have been to enhance the UI further, to give better indications of when something is able to be "3D-touched". They should also add something useful to contextual menus, such as the suggestion I made to Apple several times that they keep ignoring, which is to let you send an app to a folder from that pop-up menu, instead of forcing you to drag it all the way across 10 pages of apps and folders that get all screwed up if you drop something in the wrong place.

So what did we get in exchange for losing 3D touch? A THIRD camera? Did we really need a third camera, really guys?
There’s no turning back time for android

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Long press vs 3D Touch is negligible. Sure some people will have some use case but the vast majority of users don’t use 3D Touch.

Reactions: Ta0jin

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Long press vs 3D Touch is negligible. Sure some people will have some use case but the vast majority of users don’t use 3D Touch.
I know I told my friend and my sister about 3D Touch. #mindblown! I don’t think they really use it either. It’s not very intuitive unless you spend time to learn it. Heck my dad had a 7 plus and he doesn’t use it lol. It’s just macrumors fanatics who are upset.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I will definitely miss it but I think haptic touch will adapt as time goes on.

I’m thinking of installing iOS 13 GM today on my XS and turning off 3D Touch to test it out and try and get used to it before my 11 Pro gets here.

Reactions: Bevan

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Haptic touch works just fine. Seems like OP hasn't even tried it. To edit text you can hold your finger anywhere on the keyboard and not just the spacebar. Same as before. No problem.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm not sure yet if I will miss it. My iPad Pro is without it and no complaints. I don't think I used it correctly to be honest. The peek and pop of previewing, not really something I did. So, if I had to pick, longer battery life is my pick. I have a battery case but that really adds a lot of weight to a large phone and I only used it occasionally for travel so it was not money well spent for those times. Off topic a bit, point is I don't think I will miss it but I won't know until later on after its gone.

Reactions: compwiz1202

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Apple probably realized how many people dont use it. Most of my family and friends have iPhone and none of them even knew it was there.

Reactions: Mabus51

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm not sure yet if I will miss it. My iPad Pro is without it and no complaints. I don't think I used it correctly to be honest. The peek and pop of previewing, not really something I did. So, if I had to pick, longer battery life is my pick. I have a battery case but that really adds a lot of weight to a large phone and I only used it occasionally for travel so it was not money well spent for those times. Off topic a bit, point is I don't think I will miss it but I won't know until later on after its gone.
Yea I'm curious to see how much of a difference there really is with battery. Hopefully I can just use a clear case with a small power bank with the Pro Max. Will XS Max battery cases fit just a little snug on the Pro Max? Doesn't look like a huge difference in dimensions.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Finger painting?

Please show us your creations so we can see what Apple has done. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.