Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
This thread on Reddit seems to say just this.

A screenshot of an internal Apple document seems to back this up.

Seems like an extremely large caveat if true, and something that Apple should have made clear, upfront.

Edit: A comment was added about an update later this year will add support for 5G when using dual SIM.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wonder if this is a Qualcomm limitation. I've seen DSDS with 4G+4G and 4G+5G. If 5G+5G is true, it would be nice.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
How this was written on Reddit, my interpretation was: If you use two SIM cards in an iPhone 12, you will not be able to access 5G at all, unless you remove or disable one of the SIM cards. I certainly hope that's not true. I wouldn't have any issue with DSDS 4G+5G, but not only 4G+4G on a 5G phone.

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Just a heads up for people planning to get 12 for 5G and dual sim. You won’t be able to use 5G on either lines if you’re on dual sim. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t displayed this info more prominently somewhere on the website.

DumbPhone

Suspended
Sep 6, 2020
Just a heads up for people planning to get 12 for 5G and dual sim. You won’t be able to use 5G on either lines if you’re on dual sim. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t displayed this info more prominently somewhere on the website.
Really??...and exactly where did you get this 100% for sure information from? Or is this just another one of those silly mythical macrumors that someone here is trying to propagate/incite/an attempt to cause a stir?...yeah, thought so...kaa

Reactions: frumpy16

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Really??...and exactly where did you get this 100% for sure information from? Or is this just another one of those mythical macrumors that someone here is trying to propagate/incite/an attempt to cause a stir?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/jdelm5/_/g97pwot
image0.jpg

Reactions: AreYouIn?

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Is this a fact with all manufactures? or just an Apple thing?

My understanding is most manufacturers are 5G+4G on dual sim phones. There are a handful of 5G+5G but not a lot. Apple seems to be in the minority with 4G+4G on an otherwise 5G capable dual sim phones.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
So what you’re saying is... to take advantage of 5G, I just need to accidentally turn off my business sim.... hmmmmm....

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Can someone explain how this will work if I have a Verizon Sim and at&t esim? Will I have 5G at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.