No Allowed Extensions ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by a2jack, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

1. a2jack, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019 at 8:33 AM

a2jack macrumors regular

a2jack

When I try to post a news article to MR from any source, I get "error, the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

This problem happened before and I somehow fixed it. Now here it is again. I think problem started again when I upgraded to 10.14.5.

I've done all the usual stuff in text edit to set an extension in both plain text and rich, no luck. (late 2012 mini, 16g ram HDD .5 g spin.)

Any Ideas ? Is it Webloc causing this ? How do I kill Webloc? a2

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The error message you are describing sounds like something that would happen if you were trying to upload a file. It is restricted to certain file types. Mostly images.

4. a2jack thread starter macrumors regular

a2jack

Yes, Just a link to an article from the Guardian. I tried other sources as well.

It seems like every thing I download from the web to my desk top gets changed to a Webloc extension, and won't load into a post on MR. Yet it will work fine as an email attachment. a2

Here's one here from IEEE that wouldn't work. Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 8.53.44 PM.png

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

All you need to do is click in the address line and highlight the URL
    Copy that
    And paste it directly into the Post/Reply box on MR

https://www.espn.com/

6. a2jack thread starter macrumors regular

a2jack

I have been dragging it in from desk top all along. I will switch to copy paste and see if that works in the AM. See you then. Thanks a2

7. a2jack thread starter macrumors regular

a2jack

8. chown33 macrumors 604

You should still be able to drag-and-drop the plain text of URLs. Since a .webloc file contains the URL, try this:

Drag the webloc file onto TextEdit. It should open it.
    Then select the URL. It will probably be surrounded by XML.
    Click the URL, drag it onto the Reply box in your browser, and drop it.

I just tried this using a webloc produced by dragging the link to this thread onto my Desktop.

I also tested dragging a link into an empty TextEdit window (Plain Text, not Rich Text). That shows just the URL. You can then select it and drag it onto a browser Reply box. Since I have a text editor open almost constantly, having a window around to drag things to and from isn't an imposition for me. YMMV.

9. a2jack thread starter macrumors regular

a2jack

Before last week,I would open a link, hold on the little circle to the left of the url and drag it to a desktop file or just plant it on the desk top. MR liked these, and posted them just fine.

Last week it just started giving me the error message and would no longer post using this method.

I have files saved from before and none will now post.
    At least now, I'm back in business, but I must fix all those saved URLs.

I use the term "Last Week" because I have no way of proving it was the OS upgrade that caused the fail. Regards. a2