No apple monitor for macpro 08

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Apr 10, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

I have a mac pro 08, 2.8 nvidia GT8800, and I want buy a brand new apple monitor! ohhhhh! I cant!!!! :eek: apple cinema displays is out of stock, so I go for a new LED! hello!!!!!! I cant buy too beacuse dont have DVI... :mad: soooo why would expect of a apple monitor for my macpro??

a new cinema comming??? or what

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

don't hold your breath. If i were you id pick an older ACD from an apple authorised reseller, they tend not to sell so many expensive monitors (at least where I am anyway) and as such tend to have (limited) stock

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

Iam not in USA, any online store for buy it???? I can buy it online

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

where are you, i am in the uk and have seen them in john lewis many times since they were discontinued:)

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Huh? How did that happen? You have a mac pro and no DVI port? Is that even possible? No. It's not is it? So I don't understand any of this. What?

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The new LED display has it's own problems since the cord on the back is only 44 inches long you have to really planned ahead before you buy one of those. Connecting two of them is just about impossible since Apple doesn't sell an extension cable for the MiniDisplay Port cable yet. :rolleyes:

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Older MP'08 doesn't have support for Apple's new miniDisplayPort, they only supports displays with DVI. Since Apple introduced it's new MP'09 they for some reason discontinued all displays with the exception of the ACD 30" panel, however, for most users it's priced out of the range of most user's budget:rolleyes:

And since ACD's are rarely returned as faulty or DOA, they don't appear as a Refurb... So I guess users buying refurb MP's would have to either go with 30" displays or look into buying a third-party.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wow.. they don't have an extension cable??

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

its perhaps the thing thats annoyed me most about apple over the last six months. Just glad that i bought my ACD when i did as the 30" model was way out of my price bracket. As far as I can tell the 24" mini display port only, short cable and glossy screen (and of course price) are too much monitor for a consumer and not enough for a professional or prosumers...seems to be quite the white elephant.:(

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hehe.. for anyone in the UK who's desperate and don't mind buying used, there's always fleaBay and Amazon...

Apple Cinema HD Display - 23" (used) - £700 :eek::eek:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...?ie=UTF8&qid=1239414719&sr=8-1&condition=used

Ad for me.. I have Dual 30" ACD's and one dell 2408WFP, don't htink i need another display for a while...

11. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

You have the 2008 Mac Pro but this might cost more to do this but if you want a new apple cinema display you might have to go this route, you can buy the ATi 4870 with mini display-port and plus it has DVi connections, once you got the new video card you can use the LED Cinema Display that's is what i'm going to do but i'm waiting on apple to release the new 30 inch or go on ebay, craiglist used 23-inch and apple.com (refurbished 23-inch) and if you prefer a new display Dells 24-inch ultrasharp is always nice, You might expect more new displays at wwdc 2009 but that is just a rumor?

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

OK, I see. thanks guys. Sounds kinda messed up tho. And no solutions?

Holy cow. I looked into dual 30's but I thought they were entirely too big. I sat in front of two of them at the shop, installed Lightwave, and messed about for about an hour. I guess I'm a natural demonstrator cuz I had a crowd looking on when I turned around. :p Anyway after that I though: OK, either one 30" or dual 24's. The one's I went for were so cheap I ended up buying one for every system in the house. :p

13. eyeruh macrumors member

I'm very frustrated by this situation too. I use a 23" ACD in my photo classes on campus and really like them but if I buy the new 24" version I can't use it with a KVM switch or attach any of my existing PC's to it. I find it truly baffling that Apple didn't include a DVI port or at least offer a DVI->MDP adapter.

I wound up ordering an HP LP2475W last night from Amazon. It's got an LG H-IPS panel, tons of I/O connections and sells for $580. It's gotten several excellent reviews for graphics work so I'm hoping it works out for me.

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The one you linked to says "S-IPS" but I dunno the difference between H and S.

Actually I'm re-confused about panels again. I thought I understood the difference or at least the technical writings that describe the differences. Then someone gave me an iiyama ProLite E481s 19" IPS. I hooked it up and it has every problem than my TN panels have except that it's 8-bit instead of 6-bit. Other than that it's got the same viewing angles, the same color shifts on angle, and the same perceivable color fidelity. It's a $500 ~ $600 panel (at 19") so I'm stumped again. Looks to be about the same contrast too. If I didn't know any better I would say it was identical it all regards seeing side-by-side with my LG L246WH TN panels. <shrug>

If anyone knows anything about this iiyama or why it's so much like my TNs (or why my TNs are so much like an IPS) it would be interesting to find out.

15. eyeruh macrumors member

Hmm, I'm not seeing it there but honestly, I'd be fine with either IPS version--I'm not really sure of the differences between them except that H is newer. Most of the reviews refer to it as H-IPS although one I saw referred to it as an S-IPS & HP's spec sheet simply says "IPS".

For that matter, I think the 23" ACD's are S-IPS and I'd be happy with one of those if I could find one new somewhere.

Regarding your monitor--an IPS should definitely have wider viewing angles than a TN but it seems like quality really varies. Maybe it's a 2nd-rate panel manufacturer or a crappy backlight?

16. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Nope so what you have is a 24" display that is all but unusable with anything other than a laptop.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh, you should of seen me at KIX airport leaving JPN with my pelican cases.. all three of them!! They're not exactly small considering it's contents. Basically a full MacPro and two ACD's. I can tell you this much, they definitely downsized my rusk-sac and gave all those salaryman something to talk about :p I think, next time I'll send them back... as I've recent acquired another display (dell) :eek::eek:

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

20. Kramerica macrumors newbie

I corrected my link above...

Pasted the wrong one at first...

It's Mini-Display to DVI.

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's still the wrong type of adapter, that's an adapter that you'd plug into any of the new Macs, to use a DVI monitor.

22. Kramerica macrumors newbie

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Given the content of a lot of posts relating to the LED Cinema Display and its compatibility with devices, I have come to the conclusion that several dozen people here could not properly install batteries in a device should the need ever arise.

Seriously, what's so hard about the concept of plus-to-minus and minus-to-plus?