No Batteries Available

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hokiepokie07, Sep 20, 2011.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I have the newest MBP (just purchased in March or April). A few weeks ago, my battery meter now says "No Batteries Available." Apparently, my Apple Care ran out a month ago, so in order to get Apple to fix it would cost me to re-up my Apple Care. I'd rather not have to do that if I can fix it myself. I've googled everywhere, but can't seem to find how to fix it. When I unplug my power cord for my MBP, it cuts off. I know it's fully charged, but for some reason it's saying "No Batteries Found".

Anyone on here have the same problem and know a way to fix it?

Thanks!

2. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

If you truly purchased the machine this past march or april then you have a one year limited warranty. Make an appointment and bring it to your nearest Apple Store.

3. B.Chang macrumors member

Your apple care should be good for a year after you purchased it. Try taking it into the genius bar.

4. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I talked to them on the phone they said they could not troubleshoot it on the phone. They said if it's a hardware failure, they could fix it, but because they couldn't troubleshoot it on the phone, they couldn't tell me it was a hardware failure or not.

The nearest Apple Store to me is 2hr & 30 minutes from me. If I went there, since it is under a year old, would they fix it for me, or do I need to repurchase the Apple Care for them to troubleshoot it first?

----------

I bought the laptop soon after the new MBP came out. It's the newest MBP. I had AppleCare on my older MBP, but apparently it ran out.

So you are saying, since my laptop is less than a year old, I should have AppleCare? When I talked to them on the phone, they said they couldn't troubleshoot because my AppleCare had run out, but I could pay them $49 to walk me through steps, and if it is a hardware failure, I would get that money back. Or, they said I could just repurchase AppleCare for $200+, and then they could troubleshoot it on the phone and fix it for me, unless I had to send it in.

Thanks.

5. gr8tfly, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Your original warranty is one year (as mentioned above). If you purchased AppleCare, it is extended for an additional two years (three total).

You can check your coverage by going to apple.com/support and entering your serial number (find the link under Self Service).

AppleCare only applies to the machine it was purchased for.

Perhaps they are referring to the complimentary 90 day phone support? If you had AppleCare, that would extend phone support to three years. See: http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

6. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that's what they were referring too, the phone support. What is an alternative to this? If I drove the 2hr 30min to an Apple Store, made an appointment with a Genius, would they be able to fix it, or would I still need the "phone" support in order to have them even look at it?

Thanks.

----------

Just checked on that website, and it says I'm eligible for repairs and service coverage until March of 2012. So what is the best way to go about getting this repaired?

I assume I'll never be able to get any of the phone support technicians to tell me I can send it in to get repaired since I don't have phone support?

7. mienna macrumors newbie

You don't have phone support. You need to take it in to get repaired. Make an appointment at the Apple store, take it in, and get it fixed. You don't need phone support for warranty repair, otherwise that wouldn't be a warranty now, would it?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can still call and arrange to send it in for repair. They just won't help you troubleshoot the machine.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Newest? Then its 2011 model right? Then you have until 2012 Feb warranty.

10. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Lol forget about driving 2 hours for a dead computer. No computer is worth a 7 hour roundtrip when its all said and done.

Give apple a buzz and tell them your computer is dead and you want to send it in. They'll overnight a box.

You can also look for an authorized repair center near you.