Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
What's the big deal about The Beatles? Go to any used CD store and buy any of their albums dirt cheap and rip it in whatever format you like. Why is everyone so obsessed with iTunes downloads for The Beatles? It's not like any new songs are coming out. They're out now, digitally, better quality than will be available from iTunes and no DRM.

As far as possible re-masters...anyone interested in re-masters isn't going to waste time with compressed downloads. They'll buy new CDs or even SACD or DVD-Audio. So if you want The Beatles...just go get them right now.

And there are alot of impulse buyers.

Picture if you will. Late at night. Just got laid, a few glasses of wine or a joint. You go to your computer and you gotta have Revolution #9. CLICK. It's yours. YEs you have the white album ona shelf somewhere.....and that four day old ding dong, is looking pretty tasty right now! :cool:

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I hear 'ya. It's been a lousy year. The new iMac is the first real interesting thing I've seen all year. We still have Leopard to look forward to.

Boo. Frickin. Hoo. Are you serious?

Let's see, this year we've had:

* iPhone launch
* New iMac
* Mac Mini NOT put to sleep, quite the opposite (CPU upgrade, HD upgrade)
* iLife '08 (the best part being the major updates to iPhoto)
* iWork '08 (new app, Numbers; and nice updates to Pages and Keynote)
* iPhoto/.Mac/iPhone get very awesome "Web Gallery" feature
* .Mac users get much-needed major storage boost from 1GB to 10GB for FREE

What a horrible year so far. Appalling.

Modjo

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
Their source does expect a new iPod, but also a new Ringtone feature for iPhone users. According to their source, users will be able to make ringtones out of songs they've already purchased from iTunes. They also claim, however, that Universal songs won't be available for this feature.

A rumor source that EXPECTS something to happen is kinda shallow. That's like me making a prediction. Let's hope his predictions are based upon solid background knowledge.

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005

* iPhone launch
* New iMac
* Mac Mini NOT put to sleep, quite the opposite (CPU upgrade)

Don't forget Final Cut Studio 2! Which is great, by the way.;)

User01748

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
I'm hoping The Beatles catalog is coming to iTunes in the next month or so. Not because I would buy the 128 kbps tracks but because it means the remastering of The Beatles library has finally been completed. The outdated sound of the old CDs from the 80's aren't cutting it anymore even when they're ripped with Apple Lossless.

I'll be the 1st person in line to buy all the remastered CDs when they are released so I can listen to all the songs without the flatness of the current versions. And here's something to think about: Lennon's catalog was added a few weeks ago. Ringo's was added this week and Macca's got some special iTunes exclusive thing that came out this week. This could either be building up to the big Beatles iTunes extravaganza or it could mean that we're gonna have to wait until next year like some other posters have said so the solo stuff isn't competing with The Beatles stuff.

Ok. That was my 1st post on here. sorry for the wall of text but I'm a big Beatles fan and would desperately like to see the remastered stuff as well as the rumored new single that was scrapped in 94/95. Beatle-mania 07! (or 08)

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Ringtones are a billion dollar business

I doubt that Apple will simply "throw the door open" and offer free ringtone conversions for the iPhone. The ringtone business is worth billions of dollars and the record labels are highly unlikely to allow Apple to bundle ringtone conversions at the standard $0.99 song price. Even less likely is the possibility that they will allow you to convert songs that you've ripped from CDs.

I suspect that they will allow upgrades like they do with iTunes Plus and for a limited amount of time you'll be able to download a ringtone version of any song that you've previously purchased for a relatively small fee. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it were something like $0.99 for each upgrade and $1.98 for any future purchases of the full-length song plus ringtone.

As for the Beatles, I kind of doubt it. Eventually it will happen but I don't think it will be next week.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Lmao

Can anyone actually confirm that the final Beatles press release had "the beat goes on" at the end? Are we all just trusting Appleinsider on this?
From Wikipedia:

""The Beat Goes On" is a song recorded by Sonny and Cher. It was issued as a single and appeared on their 1967 album In Case You're in Love. It peaked at number 6 on the pop charts, charting January 14, 1967. It has been covered by American jazz musician Buddy Rich, jazz pianist/singer Patricia Barber, Italian singer Mina, and the British electronic music group All Seeing I produced a cover version of this for Britney Spears on her hit debut album, ...Baby One More Time. The song was recently featured on a television commercial for Egg Beaters.[citation needed]
This song is incorrectly referred to as And The Beat Goes On, due to the fact the closing lyric adds the word "and" to the song's title (the actual one has no "and"). There was an unrelated song released in 1980 actually called "And The Beat Goes On" (recorded by The Whispers).
"The Beat Goes On" was sung at Sonny Bono's funeral, and the phrase also appears on his tombstone."

OMG!! A Sonny and Cher iPod!!!!
Seriously....
OK here's the final Beatles press release as found at http://purplelagoon.org/Beatles/:
---------
Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John
and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope.
The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you.
When the spinning stops — that'll be the time to worry, not before.
Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on.
— Final Beatles press release, April 10, 1970

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Or This:

the beat goes on - album reviews
The expanded CD release of this second Vanilla Fudge album is much more accessible than the original vinyl version because of the inclusion of a number of cover tunes, most notably Beatles songs. The revealing liner notes that Sundazed project manager Tim Livingston adds to the reissues of these Atco albums helps put this influential band in a better light. The Beat Goes On is a difficult record, especially after the explosion that was their debut. The single from their previous album, Vanilla Fudge, originally charted in the Top 100 in the U.S. in 1967. (Britain was more hip to the group.) They finally hit in America in the summer of 1968, but had already begun to influence Deep Purple and the Rotary Connection, among others. The problem with this project is that they failed to influence themselves. Bassist Tim Bogert notes that "The Beat Goes On was the album that killed the band," while guitarist Vinny Martell adds "we had already started our second album when Shadow (Morton) had this other concept idea for The Beat Goes On." Morton had produced the Shangri Las, not the Beatles, and this creative effort was by a group with only two hit singles arriving on the scene around the time of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Morton set before the boys a daunting task which needed much, much better execution. Renaissance, which they were recording simultaneous with this, at least included a Donovan tune, "Season of the Witch." The exotic wandering would have been better served by a reworking of "Strawberry Fields Forever" across a side of the disc instead of the keyboard notes which reference the tune. Even a killer guitar version of "The Beat Goes On" would have been more exciting than "18th Century Variations on a Theme by Mozart" or noodlings that can't decide if they are "Chatanooga Choo Choo" or "Theme to the Match Game." For a group of impressionable young kids out of high school, as referenced in the liners, this must've been extremely rough. The expanded CD has jam session versions of Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog" and the Beatles' "I Feel Fine," "She Loves You," "Day Tripper," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "You Can't Do That." Any of these extended à la "Eleanor Rigby" from their debut would be more desirable than the interview-type questions about sex; the Beatles' interest in "Indian meditation" (sitar enters here, and how would the VF know?); audio newsclips of John F. Kennedy, Hitler, and others, all a very strong argument against artistic control for some producers. Exploring the initial ideas that brought them fame was what was expected of Vanilla Fudge. What would you rather hear, readings from -The Bible or the single from January 1968, "The Look of Love" b/w "Where Is My Mind"? Thankfully, Sundazed has included the Bacharach/David tune and two additional Mark Stein titles, "All in Your Mind" and the aforementioned B side, "Where Is My Mind," on the expanded Renaissance album, the real follow-up to the Vanilla Fudge debut. Historically important, listening to this archive piece is truly a labor of love, with the emphasis on labor. ~ Joe Viglione, All Music Guide

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I say ********. Apple has Beatles album covers on the invitation for the event.

Just an FYI the albums are:

Keane, Under The Iron Sea
The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Beastie Boys, The Mix-Up
Mika, Life In Cartoon Motion
Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams
Sonic Youth, Rather Ripped

Id add that all of the above except the Beastie Boys and maybe Sonic Youth, to me anyway, are very British/British inspired sounds. Milka is amazing and sounds like Queen/Scissor Sisters/Beattles to me...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,508
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,512

mark2288

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
What's the big deal about The Beatles? Go to any used CD store and buy any of their albums dirt cheap and rip it in whatever format you like. Why is everyone so obsessed with iTunes downloads for The Beatles? It's not like any new songs are coming out. They're out now, digitally, better quality than will be available from iTunes and no DRM.

As far as possible re-masters...anyone interested in re-masters isn't going to waste time with compressed downloads. They'll buy new CDs or even SACD or DVD-Audio. So if you want The Beatles...just go get them right now.

I concur - although the Beatles should have been included in the original iTunes store, I don't think it stopped anyone serious about listening to them from going out and buying their CD. It may be just more of a "forbidden fruit" thing.

I'm sure once the Beatles go on iTunes, they will sell, but I don't think it should warrant that much attention. I'm more interested in new iPods, not digital copies of things I can do myself.

Then again - I am a "do it yourself" type of guy. Some people like the convenience of just clicking on purchase and having the songs downloaded ot their computer.

Either way - more choice in the iTunes store is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Wow, you're right. I thought that cover on the left with "BEA" was the Beatles and it's the Beastie Boys.

Getting old sucks :(

You're alright mate, no harm done. Here they are:

Keane, Under The Iron Sea
The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Beastie Boys, The Mix-Up
Mika, Life In Cartoon Motion
Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams
Sonic Youth, Rather Ripped

EDIT: Damn, getting slow in MY old age.... young whippersnappers getting in there so fast.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Still..."the beat goes on" is written on the invitation! Apple has lately included subtle hints toward the announcements, and there has to be a reason for its inclusion!

-=|Mgkwho

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Can anyone actually confirm that the final Beatles press release had "the beat goes on" at the end? Are we all just trusting Appleinsider on this?
"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you. When the spinning stops — that'll be the time to worry, not before. Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on.

— Final Beatles press release, April 10, 1970"

Source Link

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007

* iPhone launch
* New iMac
* Mac Mini NOT put to sleep, quite the opposite (CPU upgrade, HD upgrade)

Agree completely. If the iPhone was the only new Apple product this year it would still be revolutionary but when you add all the above and Leopard I'd say this is THE biggest apple year since Apple II launch? Mac launch? NEXT acquisition? something like that

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
my ipod still crashes...but yay...I can buy ringtones!!

Does it bother anyone else that this iPhone (as great as it is), is so freaking buggy, yet Apple is wasting their effort looking for new sources of cash flow?

Instead of thinking about their revenue stream, they should be rapidly updating the iPhone, fixing the bugs, and adding some of the "missing" features that need to see the light of day FAST before the competition copies and catches up.

Give me color-coded calendars, and I'm happy...screw paying for ringtones!

-propynyl

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Do you think the ringtone feature will be free? I mean, you already own the song, so it should count as one of the 5 uses, right?

-=|Mgkwho

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I don't really care for song ringtones (why would I pay $1 for a snippet when I can buy the full song for the same price?), but a few more "phone" ringtones would be nice. As of now I only use 3 or 4 of the included ones. Some are just odd -- why would you want a siren?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
It would be awesome if the Beatles made it to iTunes.

Thing is, I have the Beatles on CD, cassette, 8-track, and on records.

I'd probably buy the music videos, like I did with John Lennon's "Imagine".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.