Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
DRM is the most retarded thing ever though. The only thing I can see it doing is making a legitimate consumer not being able to play a disc on their HDMI, but not HDCP TV. (ie. They were mislead when making the purchase.) Ironically, they could play a pirated version just fine.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
To me, Blu-ray has always been an expensive solution in search of a problem. Since regular dual-layer DVDs can hold 9GB and the writable media are uber-cheap, the most logical thing stepping stone for a "higher def" DVD format would have been to use 720p video, with AVC/AAC compression on a standard 9GB DVD. One could still fit around 2-3 hours of video on one side of a disc, which is about the same as an MPEG2 480p DVD.

Although, I guess for me, having an optical media drive is fairly pointless unless it has the capability to burn media, as well as read it. And since BR-R drives are still extremely rare and $$$$ and the blank discs are $25 / disc, I just can't see Blu-ray being useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.