"No camera? Well then I'm getting the ZuneHD"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dwu182, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dwu182, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

dwu182 macrumors newbie

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well, here's food for thought:

The Zune HD doesn't have a camera either!

Let's list what the iPod touch has and what the Zune HD has:

iPod touch = 70,000+ apps
    Zune HD = 0 apps

iPod touch = buy it today
    Zune HD = wait for Microsoft = long delay

iPod touch = iTunes
    Zune HD = Zune software (what kind of name is that?) that Zucks.

iPod touch = Safari's little brother
    Zune HD = Internet Explorer's mentally retarded baby (as if IE isn't mentally retarded enough)

iPod touch = iTunes, music you can keep forever
    Zune HD = Zune Pass music which is expensive, low quality, and you don't "own" even though you paid 2x retail price. There are other options to Zune Pass, but it's just an example.

iPod touch = Voice Control (only 32/64GB models)
    Zune HD = ???

Apple/iPod touch = Genuine Innovation
    Microsoft/Zune HD = Genuine Apple Copy-n-FAIL Machine

3. dwu182, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

dwu182 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I am just going to wait until Dell releases their version. IMHO it will be cheaper and have far more features including FM radio, more space and a camera.

It will be like comparing a Dell Inspiron to a MBP.

5. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Is that enough of an overzealous fanboy for everyone?

Hmm... a FM tuner built into an MP3 device. By golly, I'm glad Apple was ahead of the curve on that one! :rolleyes:

That last dig will be all the more sweeter when Apple does the OLED first. Whoops! hahaha

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Here let me fix it for you.

Let's list what the iPod touch has and what the Zune HD has:

iPod touch = 70,000+ apps
    Zune HD = To be determined, there will be apps but Microsoft has kept mum on the matter for now. I'm assuming they want something to excite us about on the 15th. The rumor is that several iPhone developers are being paid to port their applications over.

iPod touch = buy it tommorrow
    Zune HD = September 15th

iPod touch = iTunes
    Zune HD = Zune

iPod touch = Safari's little brother
    Zune HD = Internet Explorer (No ones done a real test to see how good or bad the browser is but its not what is currently available on windows mobile its a definite improvement and supposedly what is coming out for windows mobile 7, TBD)

iPod touch = iTunes, music you can keep forever
    Zune HD = Zune Pass music. For $15 a month you keep ten tracks and you can try all the music you want.

CD = All music is available in the CD format and you can get better quality if you like or compress it, the better option

iPod touch = Voice Control that is lame and just about useless
    Zune HD = None but its better that way

Apple/iPod touch = iPhone OS/Coverflow
    Microsoft/Zune HD = Better music browsing interface

iPod touch = Cortex processor
    Zune HD= nVidia Tegra

iPod Touch = Sound quality? If history repeats itself the Zune will have better sound quality.
    Zune HD= As stated in the above.

iPod Touch = Been there done that.
    Zune HD = New and exciting, the Tegra chip should provide some nice gaming

iPod Touch = LCD technology
    Zune HD = OLED

iPod Touch = video out playback but only standard definition
    Zune HD = HD video out play back

iPod Touch = Internet Radio
    Zune HD = HD Radio (please don't tell me people don't want one when Jobs just put one in the Nano along with the camera we don't want in the iPod Touches)

Now thats better. Sorry but the Zune looks like an attractive product you just have to take off your Apple glasses.

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

how is voice control lame and useless its better than searching through tons of music in your library, if you have over 5000 songs in a 32gb ipod and you know exactly what song your looking for or what artist you want to listen to you dont have to search you just say (play "the song/artist/album you want") thats way better than searching the ipod or the zunes "better music browsing" which in all honesty doesnt look "better" its just pretty...take your zune goggles off its not even out yet and yea it has that tegra chip but will it even be used to its full potential and if it is the batt life will be pretty crappy...even worse than playing certain games on the touch.

8. katananz macrumors newbie

katananz

The Tegra chip was designed to be energy efficient to maximize battery life and performance, and some people may not be too happy about having to buy a new microphone to use the voice control feature once they get too dependant on it... and for an Apple one you may as well mortgage your house to get the damn thing. There is a search bar, why not use that?

And of all the tens of thousands of apps, how many are actually worth mentioning?

9. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

um you wont have to buy the mic...you know the 32gb and 64gb now come with the mic and volume control headphones...

ok so who is to say the zunes apps will be any better just because of the spectacular "TEGRA"

10. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Voice control reared its ugly head on phones almost a decade ago (if not more). There is a reason that gimmick never caught on.

Further, unless the mic comes with a minijack-plug one will have to use the crappola standard headphones in order to make use of this gimmick.

In any case, picture this:

Across from you on the train, some bloke is sitting with the packaged open headphones. You can hear the m-thck, m-tchk, m-tchk coming from his headphones as he listens to the latest mainstream dance act.

When the number has played for about four minutes, the guy begins talking VERY loudly, not realising he is shouting because he has the volume on high. At first it doesn't register, then he shouts even louder, and this time he gets lucky, but decides he wants to hear another track only five seconds later.

11. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

i think a person would know when and when not to use that functionality why would someone try to use "voice control" in a loud ass place... and i never said it was the one and only way you should browse your music library or that its "amazing and revolutionary" i was just saying that its not "useless".

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Only reason I'm not going Zune HD is the app store.

13. Pocket lint macrumors regular

I am not talking about a "loud ass place". I'm talking about someone using the boxed headphones. Please read my post again.

Except for turning the thing on and starting the first audio track, one is already listening to a track. Most of the times that will be with headphones on. And if one have to use the bundled headphones/microphone, to use this voice-control, then it's pretty damn obvious that this is the only time one will be able to use it: Bundled headphones in the ears, listening to music, "searching" tracks by voice while listening to an already playing Touch.

14. katananz macrumors newbie

katananz

You will have to buy the mic if you lose the set you're given or if it breaks. And the Zune's apps (if there will be any) would be better if developers make them take advantage of the Tegra chip, but all I was saying was it has power efficiency.

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'll get a Zune HD then compare them side by side. I'll even share the results with you. What I don't like I only dislike from posted specs.
    - The Touch doesn't have a radio. The new Nano might be a contender though with more than a simple radio. RDS, DRR (digital radio recording for pause/play), and tag for purchase (A Zune trick).
    - The Zune HD doesn't have external volume controls. I hate that!
    - OLED VS LCD. Prettier screen or bigger one? I'm undecided.
    - Zune HD's Music app will be far deeper and more visually entertaining. Apple was caught sleeping. iTunes LP is a year late and only for the desktop app at the moment. Also only works with a limited nober of albums.
    - I've already ordered the Zune HD dock. 720p output. Touch video was never impressive to me on a TV, and I've seen no indication of an upgrade to HD on the Touch.

16. milo macrumors 604

Tons here will lie and say they are doing that...but few if any will.

There's a good reason MS has one percent market share. They can't even make a great web browser on their computing platform.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

How many people in a ton? Just curious ;). Can you tell me how many will say they are buying a Zune HD and actually will? I'd like that answer also in tons. Thanks :D. Here's some help. 2000 lbs in a ton.

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am neutral to this subject, but I am curious to see the longevity of the Zune's OLED screen. I would be concerned that power users will wear out the blue pixles, and water vapor from Sweat destroying the screens all together.

4DThinker Actually the Zune HD has external volume controls

[​IMG]

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No windows? Enjoy syncing your Zune with your mac. ;)

20. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

The rumor is also that several iPhone developers have refused Microsoft's offer.

More like...

iPod Touch = Real's Rhapsody subscription service, Spotify, more services likely to come
    Zune HD = Zune Pass

22. pooryou macrumors 65816

23. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Why is everyone so bent on Apps? While I think they are cool and useful, I don't find them nearly as useful as if it were on an iPhone. The iPod Touch is limited to WiFi. For those of us who don't live in a major metro area, that means it does very little. There isn't the coffee shop down the street that has free WiFi to use half of the good apps. And if I am at home, i would rather jump on my computer and get it what I need done in half the time.

And I don't seem why so few people understand the Zune Pass here. They think it's a low quality subscription that you loose all of your songs at the end of the month. While that is true, you do loose most of your songs, but you get to keep 10 of them. That's DRM Free too. So that's an extra 10 bucks you would have saved if you bought them anywhere else. It's also a great vehicle to explore new music. Pandora is nice, but is now limited. You also need WiFi to use it on a iPod Touch. Last.Fm is nice to, but doesn't offer the On Demand Variety. And again, that needs WiFi.

I will be getting a Zune HD once I find a way to get it cheaper than it already is. I think it's priced fairly against the competition, but I do this for everything. Say 10% off Best Buy coupon :)

24. ottawaapplefan macrumors member

It depends where you are in canada for some its just to $$$$.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Looking at the Top 25 apps in the App Store, it doesn't look like any of them require a data connection to work. :confused: