Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
No, I got mine before that happened and before the study.

Do you still have an Xbox 360 or have you switched to the superior PS3? You'd be an idiot to stay with the Xbox 360 and its 50% failure rate after it broke on you.

At the end of the day, you complain about MS, but when it comes to it, you seem perfectly happy to give them your money. Pathetic.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
why do i need an radio turner on my ipod touch? i had a zune once 1st gen. let me tell u. If u compared zune 1gen to my ipod tough 2g. The zune was a piece of ****. Why listen to the radio when i can turn on MTV and listen to the latest songs anyways. Compared Zune to the Ipod is like comparing Best buy to the apple store. The day nano came out apple store had it. Best buy u had to wait two weeks for it. If ur getting the new Zune HD ur just waisting ur money.

Can you rephrase into a coherent post instead of rabid fanboy nonsense?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
And of all the tens of thousands of apps, how many are actually worth mentioning?

Well, to name a few that are on my iPhone...
Things
Tweetie
Facebook
Keymote
iDisk
Flickr
Remote
FourTrack
miniSynth
BeatMaker
Noise.io
Pandora
Chords
Yahoo Fantasy Football
RemoteTap
PayPal
Gas Cubby
BeejiveIM
Mint.com
Evernote
Grocery IQ
DocsToGo
1Password
Bible
Wordpress
VNC
Chipotle

And those are just the apps that I personally use once every day or two, not including any games and GPS apps that I have on there (I excluded GPS apps since this is about the Touch). Many of them will probably have ZuneHD counterparts, but even still it is unknown if Microsoft will open up their SDK for anyone to use.

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Well, to name a few that are on my iPhone...
Things
Tweetie
Facebook
Keymote
iDisk
Flickr
Remote
FourTrack
miniSynth
BeatMaker
Noise.io
Pandora
Chords
Yahoo Fantasy Football
RemoteTap
PayPal
Gas Cubby
BeejiveIM
Mint.com
Evernote
Grocery IQ
DocsToGo
1Password
Bible
Wordpress
VNC
Chipotle

And those are just the apps that I personally use once every day or two, not including any games and GPS apps that I have on there (I excluded GPS apps since this is about the Touch). Many of them will probably have ZuneHD counterparts, but even still it is unknown if Microsoft will open up their SDK for anyone to use.

You must remember that when iPhone first came out there was no SDK and the plan was to use Web apps. MS already has XNA which can do a lot of stuff including DirectX iirc.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
A large amount of software for a dead device is like gallons of petrol without a car.

Yeah, except I get my dead Xbox 360 brought back to life for free. In this past case, I got upgraded to an elite and got two free games. That's awesome.

Apple didn't fix my G5 when it broke 3 days after warranty. We had five G5s in our office, and they all failed within a week of each other, just out of warranty.

But I still own a mac because it has the best software experience. Same thing with the Xbox.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Microsoft launches Zune, clarifies what's up apps, raps iPod
Brier Dudley

Microsoft's third and perhaps best Zune effort goes on sale today, taking on the new generation of camera and app-equipped Apple iPods with a relatively pure music and video player.

This time the emphasis isn't on the Zune's funky design or wireless sharing feature. Instead the spotlight is on Zune's sleek new hardware, including a 3-in.' OLED touchscreen display, and the refreshed software and online music service.

Zune software for sorting, selecting and discovering music and videos is migrating beyond the devices. This fall it's coming to the Xbox and next year it could show up on mobile phones.

Meanwhile, the new Zune HD is the showcase. The name refers to the device's ability to receive HD radio and output 720p video (when hooked up to an optional A/V docking device and HDMI cable).

Also new to the device is a browser and a few basic apps, but nothing like the zillions of third-party apps you can download onto the iPod Touch.

The Zune HD costs $220 for a 16 gigabyte version in black or $290 for a 32 gig model in platinum. Red, green and blue models are also available from the Zune's online store, which sells versions with etched cases.

I'll write a review of the device after I've had a chance to try the new software. Meanwhile, here's an edited excerpt of an interview with Zune's marketing manager, Brian Seitz.

Q:How are pre-orders coming along?

A: Better than we had forecasted so we're really pleased with what's happened so far.

Q: What's happening with apps?

A: In the marketplace you'll see an apps tab on the device and in the software.

Last year our apps were games. We introduced a bundle of games in the update, which was convenient but also really painful because the download was really big. So we stripped those out. Now they're a side-load experience through the software in the marketplace or on the device.

When it comes to apps on Zune on the 15th what you'll see is primarily games. We're refreshing a lot of the games to take advantage of the multitouch. Casual games. plus a couple of apps like the weather app and calculator. Plus we're building a Twitter (app), a Facebook (app) and a bunch of 3D games like "Project Gotham Racing" that will come out in November.

All of our apps are free ... and it's a managed solution right now, so we're building these apps or working with third parties to build these apps and provide them to our customers for free.

Q: Will it open up for third-party app developers?

A: It's hard to say right now. If you look around the company at other places where things like this are important, Windows Mobile rises to the top. They have devices which are always connected, which make applications like maps really cool and important.

On a sometimes-connected device, what people are using them for are games. So what we didn't want to do was build two parallel app store experiences that didn't work together.

Right now our product roadmaps didn't line up perfectly for us to snap to what they're doing or vice versa. That being said, we know people want things like this on their devices so we're going to build them ourselves, they're going to be super high-quality, and they're going to be free.

Down the road if there's a way we can work with Windows Mobile or another group inside the company that's building an app store and take advantage of that, that's something we'll look into.

Q: Are you working with game publishers to get titles on Zune?

A: On a case-by-case basis. It's not really come one, come all.

Q: Will "Project Gotham" on the Zune work with the Xbox -- so the device keeps track of your status on the console or something?

A: Not at this point, no. It will be just a standalone experience on the device.

Q: Are you concerned about competing with new iPods with cameras built in?

A: The more things like that that make their way into these devices that aren't about great music and video playback, the more it's distracting or sacrificing that original purpose of the device. Apps are jamming in, cameras -- that's work that's not being done on the music front.

With this release, you can see we're still really focused on music and video. We're still hyper-focused on that. Maybe that's the benefit of being the little guy. We can have that laser-focus.

Maybe some of those people ... did buy an iPod because it's all about music, and now it's not. Maybe we can get some of those folks.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cg...70&zsection_id=2008812030&slug=&date=20090915

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Do you still have an Xbox 360 or have you switched to the superior PS3? You'd be an idiot to stay with the Xbox 360 and its 50% failure rate after it broke on you.

At the end of the day, you complain about MS, but when it comes to it, you seem perfectly happy to give them your money. Pathetic.

Mine hasen't broken so far, I said my friend's one did, and I would get a PS3 if I had enough money and haden't already got a bunch of 360 games (which loose value fast, trust me).

Yeah, except I get my dead Xbox 360 brought back to life for free. In this past case, I got upgraded to an elite and got two free games. That's awesome.

Apple didn't fix my G5 when it broke 3 days after warranty. We had five G5s in our office, and they all failed within a week of each other, just out of warranty.

But I still own a mac because it has the best software experience. Same thing with the Xbox.

Was this G5 a first gen? They always fail more than normal, no matter who makes the product.

Also, Apple replaced my iPod months after warrenty for free once.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Was this G5 a first gen? They always fail more than normal, no matter who makes the product.

Nope, the last gen G5 before the intel models were even released. Worst computer purchase I ever made. Noisy, slow, expensive initial purchase, too expensive to bother repairing ($1100 to fix!). I donated the case to some local artist who makes things out of it after I cannibalized the insides.

Also, Apple replaced my iPod months after warrenty for free once.

My black and white iPod 40 Gig is just now starting to go. My sister got hers replaced (and upgraded) for free after it was out of warranty.

but then again, she's an attractive young woman, and stuff like that happens for her all the time.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Nope, the last gen G5 before the intel models were even released. Worst computer purchase I ever made. Noisy, slow, expensive initial purchase, too expensive to bother repairing ($1100 to fix!). I donated the case to some local artist who makes things out of it after I cannibalized the insides.

My black and white iPod 40 Gig is just now starting to go. My sister got hers replaced (and upgraded) for free after it was out of warranty.

but then again, she's an attractive young woman, and stuff like that happens for her all the time.

Seems like you had bad luck on the G5 unfortunately, but again that's a possibility on any product. At least 50% arn't faulty though.

I'm a teenage male and, as far as I know, no sex change process happened before I got to the Genius Bar... So it's not just attractive girls who Apple gives good service too.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Seems like you had bad luck on the G5 unfortunately, but again that's a possibility on any product. At least 50% arn't faulty though.

For our batch of G5s (the company ordered 5, employees ordered two for personal use), they were 100% faulty. Every single one of them crapped out at basically the same time. The new MacPros have been solid, though. I'm glad apple switched.

I'm a teenage male and, as far as I know, no sex change process happened before I got to the Genius Bar... So it's not just attractive girls who Apple gives good service too.

Hehe, you are lucky. ;) I always get some indian dude who I can't understand on the line. When I need actual Apple service, I go to an Apple store.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
I've only had to phone Apple's support line once, but when I did they were nice and a pleasure to deal with, I even had a smile on my face at the end of it (though, in fairness, that could be because I'd just ordered a 3GS :p).

I guess it's luck of the draw though.

Shame about the bad batch of G5s too!

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Well, I think people should get what they want. The Zune is really only lacking in the apps at this point. It is going to tae time. Was the camera a big deal? maybe not, but the Zune HD has a chance to catch up to the touch. With all of the money Microsoft has, I can see the Zune getting some great upgrades at a faster rate than the iPod touch.

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
Well, I think people should get what they want. The Zune is really only lacking in the apps at this point. It is going to tae time. Was the camera a big deal? maybe not, but the Zune HD has a chance to catch up to the touch. With all of the money Microsoft has, I can see the Zune getting some great upgrades at a faster rate than the iPod touch.

To be honest, it's not a small pile of money Apple Corporate is sitting on. :eek:

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

How rude. I'd typed out a response, pointing out you were wrong, but iphone 62S got there way before me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.