No case issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleUSA, Mar 17, 2014.

1. AppleUSA macrumors member

I just got a 64gb iPhone 5s, I carried my 16gb 5 without a case for a year with zero issues.

Tell me I'm not crazy to carry this awesome new device without a case because it just looks a feels GREAT!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

One of my employers dropped his 4 this morning, face down, and cracked its screen.

4. itjw macrumors 65816

90% or more of the time naked here. Never an issue. Cases (and the COST of cases) are for suckers. Buy Apple Care+. Not only will you protect your precious "resale" (since that's what everyone wants to cry about when it comes to keeping their device flawless... not their own OCD) as it's transferable, AND(or) it can be cancelled and prorated for a refund if the future buyer doesn't want it (or you sell to Gazelle or something).

Plus, you get the benefit of enjoying your device as Apple intended it.

Figure the avearge case costs $20, and the average person (over two years) will have multiple cases, and also figure that cases do NOT come with any sort of replacement guarantee for $79, and it's a no-brainer.

Or you could do what some do and just go completely naked w/o AC+, and pay the $229 if something happens (pocketing the $99 if it doesn't).

Either way, don't let the case crazies scare ya :D

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The only case I own is a Mophie juice pack case. So it's either naked or in my Mophie. Lately I've been loving the extra battery, so it's hard to not throw it in the Mophie when I'm going out.

6. AppleUSA thread starter macrumors member

YES!! I agree with you on this. I just wanted reinforcement that I could keep going without a case like normal. I've never resold an iPhone, I give them to family & friends or keep them for backup.... I've sold an Android once though(after owning for a month LOL)...

Thanks for the help!

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i have the apple leather case, very thin and its nice to hold as well. but when i want to go naked i also have a second case that fits inside. I have a skinomi skin on my 5s so that i don't need to worry about scratches.

8. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I'm one of those people who would love to go caseless but I know I would freak if something happened! I just got a Power Support Air Jacket and I'm so far enjoying the feel of using my phone without a bulky case but also knowing that it's somewhat protected.

9. AppleUSA thread starter macrumors member

I was never worried about scratches in the past, I don't know what has gotten in to me...

I'm just going to let them happen :D

10. itjw macrumors 65816

Yep absolutely ZERO sense in worrying about it.

Welcome to enjoying the device the way Steve intended it.

The last 3 "naked for 90% of their life" iPhones I sold all recieved the "like new" valuation anyway, but even if I did get dinged a few bucks (literally that's all it is in terms of difference, check Gazelle or other sites as a reference... and no, I don't mean for a decimated phone with a shattered screen, just one with wear and tear vs. one that's "pristine") the amount I've saved by NOT buying 3-8 cases (yes, I literally bought 8 different cases for my 3GS looking for the "perfect" one haha... I'm a nut with $$$) has MORE than made up for it.

If people really did the math and thought about it, I don't think any logical person would ever use a case. The exception being the people who can't stand a teeny tiny scratch on their PHONE (but fair enough, just don't try to make it about resale when it's really about OCD...).

:apple:

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that got a 5S. I bought one this past weekend. It was hard knowing the 6 is around the corner. But, I really needed to get one. Enjoy your 5S. I bought one of those leather apple cases for mine, despite the bad reviews.

12. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

never put a case on my current iPhone. i very rarely drop it, and when i do, i always catch it or almost catch it, so it drops maybe 2 ft. not worried about it. i also have AC plus.. :)

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I have a wallet case (well, did, and by the end of the week should again) and love it, but I can understand the want to be caseless. Been kind of nice while I'm waiting for my new one to come in.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dropped my phone accidentally about 6-7 times now.
    But since I have a case there is no dents, scratches, scrapes or broken screen yet knock on wood:D
    Its your choice if you want to take the risk.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I use the Sedio Surface case to protect against the slight knocks of everyday life. It adds very little bulk to the phone and you no longer have to worry about scratches. It also has a rubberized coating which make it MUCH LESS slippery!

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The forums seem to run about 50/50 with case/no case. I use no case, but like others get applecare+. It definitely gives me peace of mind if I happen to drop the phone. While I do not have a case, I do have a sleeve I place it in when I am playing basketball or am in court and the phone is in my bag w/ keys.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Spotted 2 more minor scuffs (you really can't see that they are there) to my 5s, for a total of 3 to the frame. Still not using a case. :cool:

18. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

That will do it everytime, even some cases will not protect against that either.

----------

I go back and forth, I went caseless with my iPhone 4s with AppleCare Plus. Loved the way the phone felt in my had, the way it was meant to be.

I told myself, when I get the 5s, I am not using a case either. So when I got the iPhone 5s Gold, I started to become paranoid, wanting to keep my phone looking nice, because .. I love the Gold look on it. I used a Speck Candyshell case on it for a while, and I liked it.. till. .I missed the amazing build quality of the phone. So I took it off, than back on, and than back off.. for about a month. Than I bought the tech21 Mesh iphone case. Same deal, on and off for a month.. till I decided.. Nope. I enjoy the build quality way too much to cover this up.

I have apple care plus, so I will enjoy the phone. The only worry I still had was what if I scratched the camera lens? Nope.. its sapphire.. So unlikely.

So here I sit, my iPhone 5s Gold.. Naked.. has a little scratch on the back.. but.. otherwise.. gorgeous. Also.. No screen protector. Full naked!

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I am extremely careful when handling the 5S but there is no discounting how slippery I feel it is. That said, I cannot go without a case. Plenty of clear ones on the market for good prices and one still can enjoy the beauty of the 5S.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I understand but when you are trying to run you business and get 40-60 calls a day you get a little weary trying to be "extremely careful". How pretty the 5S is wore off with me after months of use. The Sedio Surface case adds no bulk but will protect from the scrapes and scratches.

Beware of the gummy soft cases as they attract and hold dirt and grit and will actually cause damages to the anodized finish.

Enjoy your phone!

21. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I keep my iPhone 5S in a lifeproof case. Water/dirt/dust/snow/ect proof.

Why?

I payed 650 for it when it just came out. One mistake, boom, bye bye 650.

seems logical to me feel or no feel.

22. tiartrop macrumors regular

If you plan to always live within five minutes away from an Apple Store yeah go for it.

But if you're somewhere in the world with no access to Apple Store or even Apple reseller, next time you break your phone while vacationing in Thailand you'll be left with nothing but your sorry ass. And whoever will say AppleCare is global, good luck on getting it serviced within the same day in Shanghai for instance.

But putting that aside, if you're quite careful with your phone I don't see a problem, I'd suggest putting on a screen protector at least, it helps to prevent the screen from getting cracked. My brother had his iPhone 4 for almost 3 years, naked all the time, cracked both screens, dented and home button stopped functioning. I'm actually surprised the phone survived his abuse.

I myself got a thin case with a pocket so I can put my travel card in it, and it works great. Also for added grip; that thing is quite slippery!

23. Lugnutz macrumors member

I'm not a case person but when I saw Otterbox Defender cases for only $6.99, I couldn't resist.

24. cynics macrumors G4

Try being slightly open minded. Your lifestyle doesn't apply to everyone.

Some people have a tough time getting to an Apple store.

Others such as myself may have a bit more active life style then you do apparently. I go back packing, hunting, fishing, etc a lot of the time in the rain or snow. A waterproof case is a requirement for me. Caseless my iPhone wouldn't last more then 1-2 outings.

The inconvenience of my phone (also a business phone) breaking isn't worth the trip to the Apple store if I can prevent it from happening.

I also have AppleCare+...

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So you have carried your iPhone for a year and not a single scratch? :rolleyes:

If so why even ask. Just do what "feels GREAT"