No Case, No Applcare+, Too Risky?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sddabrow, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Hello!

I am a Sprint user who just switched over to the iPhone4s from the Evo 4G and looking forward to the transition.

On my Evo, I stopped using a case after a while and never had any issues with dropping, breaking, or scratching. Haven't dropped a phone in over 3 years (I baby them)

The iPhone4s design is way too sexy to use a case and I think I missed out on buying Applecare+ this morning. Based on iPhone4 users experience, as long as I don't blatantly drop the phone, any other reason to have a case (minor scratches, etc)?

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Get a bumper. Still shows off the beauty.

Black Phone, White bumper :)

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Just be careful, I've dropped my phone once or twice but have been fortunate enough to not have it break. I think someone can have a naked iPhone without ever having it break or scratch while not having to coddle it.

4. Ktdhc macrumors member

No you'll be fine.

I dropped mine a few times from waist height and it's still in perfect condition. Just don't put it in your pocket with keys, obviously. Even then I don't think it'll scratch anyways.

And don't get a bumper..completely unnecessary.

5. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

if you're a student, just get collegestudentinsurance.com

6. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Handy.. but no longer a college student :''(

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I also went the "naked" rout on my iPhone 4 and finally had a drop that completely broke the front screen. That being said, I would do it again because my experience with cases has been that 1) they are bulky and 2) dust and grit invariably gets trapped under them and scratches the crap out of the phone.

My only suggestion would be to put a clear shield (Ghost Armor, ZAGG, whatever) on the BACK. The back glass is more scratchable than the front and the shield, which you never notice anyway, is just thick enough that it protects the camera lens when you set the phone down on a counter.

8. fender57 macrumors 6502

Depends on how klutzy you are. I bought an i4 on launch day last year, did not buy Applecare and only used a bumper. It is still in near mint condition. The bumper was the key, I think the biggest danger is dropping it - with the bumper I'm able to grip it better. Plus it does not lay flush on the glass backing with the bumper in place. If the bumper is not enough, there are a lot of great cases that can protect it a lot better than the bumper.

I also carry it around in a belt holster with the velcro strap enclosure, it's made by Marware. Been using this since the 3GS days. It may look geeky but it's a great way to carry it around, I don't like putting it in my pocket.

9. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a smart man talking. Prevents scratches on back and camera lens.

Now the question - can you purchase just a BACK for these types of protectors, or do you need to buy the full phone kits?

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

By the way, if you want Applecare, you should be able to purchase it anytime during the first year while it's still under warranty. That's the way it's always worked before, at least.

11. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Applecare doesn't protect against accidental damage anyway

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

AppleCare+, however, does.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

I find that something like the incipio feather or incase snap case adds protection but no bulk. The snap for the iphone4 adds a fraction of a mm to the front edges, so when placed face down on a flat surface it rests on the case.

I also concur about using a film on the back; I bought one of those static cling type front & back screen protector sets for my iphone4 so the back avoids getting scratched up in the case.

The case saved my phone from any damage the one time I dropped it; landed on the top-left corner and marked up the case but no marks on the phone.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've had every iPhone expect for the 3G. I keep it naked 95% of the time. I haven't even used a screen protector for the last two years. Sure some of the phones have had normal wear and tear on the edges, but I've never had a scratch on the screen. If I had to baby the phone I would not purchase it. I throw it in my pocket all the time. Just don't drop it and you'll be fine.

15. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

it does now

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Oh, cool. I stand corrected.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

18. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Well based on that, I may just end up buying Applecare+ when the phone arrives on the 14th and not worry about spending the money on cases.

Plus I can stop the Sprint insurance.

Thanks guys.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

When they released AppleCare+ a few days ago; it was a quiet launch AFAIK showing up on Apple.com after the Keynote with a Oct 14th availability.

AppleCare remains available and can be purchased within warranty period, but doesn't provide accident coverage. It's unclear if it's available for the iphone 4S or not.

AppleCare+ costs $30 more and includes accident coverage; supposedly only available at time of purchase, but there may be some wiggle room there as well since not all carriers were offering it up as available when preordering.

20. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have had all four iPhones, and will be getting my iPhone 4S on launch day, and I have never used a case.

I dropped my original iPhone once, and have been lucky with all of the others - no drops, no broken glass, no major damage.

I am careful not to put anything else in my picket with the iPhone though. No keys, no change, nothing. This keeps it from getting scratched, etc. I have had my iPhone 4 since launch and other than the fingerprints, it has only has one small scratch on the back - most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

That said, I think there is a wide range of how people treat their phones. My daughter dropped the old 3GS on the pavement when it fell out of one of those arm band things. I personally wouldn't have put it in there to begin with. She also uses one of those big rubber cases when she carries it around.

I say try going caseless. If you have some accidental damage, and they won't replace it at the store, buy Apple Care+ during the first year (I assume you don't have to get it up front), and pay $150 to get it replaced...

Edit: The previous post says you might have to get Apple Care plus up front. If that is the case, then I guess you could just pay the $199 replacement fee for a damaged phone - assuming THAT isn't going away with AppleCare+...

21. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case and you can pay $199 for a replacement, then I won't need AppleCare+. I guess we just need to narrow down all the facts.

22. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I've had my iPod touch second gen for a long while now. It was never put in a case, and it has survived 1 drop, daily use, etc. It's with me at all times and I've taken it across 3 continents.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

The catch is that I don't know if that $199 replacement practice was ever a truly official policy as much as an unofficial one.

So that people can compare options on a factual basis, does anyone have a link showing this as an official Apple policy?

24. pkagel macrumors regular

I have the free case, not bumper, that Apple gave me which covers the back of the phone and a small ridge on the front. I have dropped it countless times on a cement floor with no ill effects and I keep it in my pocket with my keys. I would totally get a case as this little guy is slick and will slide out of your hand quickly. Maybe I'm just a klutz!!

25. iToNe24 macrumors regular

from what i read there are two times to add applecare+ .. time of sale or activation ... so if u didnt add to your order today .. u can order friday when u activate ... sprint sells the applecare+ ... u dont need to call apple