Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I realised there is no right click cut and paste available for folders or pictures. So for moving folders and pic, we can only copy, is that right? Then I have to remember to go back and delete, otherwise its a duplication. It seems not very user friendly or I miss something?

Beside "moving", is there any other way?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
OSx does not have cut and paste for files/folders.
Many Many windows users find this when they first use OSx and complain on the forums. there are quite a few threads on it.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Just two of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:

How to cut/paste files & folders in OS X
How do I move files rather than copy them?

Wow, thanks for the links. it took me quite a while to read the whole stories. Within it, there were also confusion amongst Mac users. Can only confused newbie like me.

I supposed I have to resign there is no cut and paste function as this topic appears to dicuss to death. A simple and powerful function but yet Apple has no intention to use it. Just have to do double work, go back and delete.

Someone suggested when dragging folder, hold down the Option key and drag. I find no different without holding down Option, just that I don't see the Plus Green sign. What is the purpose?

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Use drag-and-drop. No reason to copy and then delete.

I'm not here for a protracted argument. Pse spend sometime and read the 2 links in post 3. Its well discussed about my issue.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'm not here for a protracted argument. Pse spend sometime and read the 2 links in post 3. Its well discussed about my issue.

Nothing to argue about. The Mac doesn't do cut and paste of files, it never will (without add-ons), and there are alternative approaches to get the job done that work just as fast. It's an old issue that predates those links by well over a decade.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Someone suggested when dragging folder, hold down the Option key and drag. I find no different without holding down Option, just that I don't see the Plus Green sign. What is the purpose?

But, what you stated indicates that you did notice a difference! Perhaps you know, but the green circle with the + in it means the action is a Copy. If there is no green/+ then it is a Move.

Since you've posted "newbie"/switcher questions, I'll share my standard "Tips"...

Tips for new Mac users:

You cannot cut and paste files in the Finder as you can in Explorer. To move or copy a file from one place to another, the Mac way is to open both the Target and Source folders, then drag and drop the file or folder. There are nuances depending on where the Target folder is. For example, hold down Option while dragging a file to copy it to a folder on the same volume.

The green button at the top does not expand the window to fill your screen. Very few windows need the full screen, so what that does is expand the window so it's large enough to handle the content. This will almost always leave some background visible.

The red button does not usually quit an application. It merely closes the active window, even if there's only one. The "light" by the application's icon in the Dock will indicate if the app is still running.

You cannot see the size of a file or folder in Icon View by holding your mouse over it. You must highlight the item and use Get Info. Or you can use List View, which will show you the size. There are at least four ways to access Get Info, three of them involving the mouse.

If you have two folders with the same name, but have a few differences between the contents of same, don't move one to the enclosing folder of the other. OSX will not automatically merge the contents of the two folders. Instead, it will overwrite the target folder with the one you're moving. The differences in the target folder will be lost forever. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite. Be sure you know what that means before saying yes!

You really don't need anti-virus software. It will just slow your computer down, and there isn't a single virus out there that will infect a Mac. If you run Windows on your Mac, you do have to take precautions for that. And, you can pass a virus on to a Windows user. Just be smart about where you go online and you'll be fine. It's also not necessary to run a defrag program. The Mac OS takes care of that for you. Some Mac users still do it, myself included, but you'll be fine without it.

You cannot selectively delete items that you have "stored" in the Trash. Sorry.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
But, what you stated indicates that you did notice a difference! Perhaps you know, but the green circle with the + in it means the action is a Copy. If there is no green/+ then it is a Move.

Since you've posted "newbie"/switcher questions, I'll share my standard "Tips"...

Tips for new Mac users:

You cannot cut and paste files in the Finder as you can in Explorer. To move or copy a file from one place to another, the Mac way is to open both the Target and Source folders, then drag and drop the file or folder. There are nuances depending on where the Target folder is. For example, hold down Option while dragging a file to copy it to a folder on the same volume.

The green button at the top does not expand the window to fill your screen. Very few windows need the full screen, so what that does is expand the window so it's large enough to handle the content. This will almost always leave some background visible.

The red button does not usually quit an application. It merely closes the active window, even if there's only one. The "light" by the application's icon in the Dock will indicate if the app is still running.

You cannot see the size of a file or folder in Icon View by holding your mouse over it. You must highlight the item and use Get Info. Or you can use List View, which will show you the size. There are at least four ways to access Get Info, three of them involving the mouse.

If you have two folders with the same name, but have a few differences between the contents of same, don't move one to the enclosing folder of the other. OSX will not automatically merge the contents of the two folders. Instead, it will overwrite the target folder with the one you're moving. The differences in the target folder will be lost forever. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite. Be sure you know what that means before saying yes!

You really don't need anti-virus software. It will just slow your computer down, and there isn't a single virus out there that will infect a Mac. If you run Windows on your Mac, you do have to take precautions for that. And, you can pass a virus on to a Windows user. Just be smart about where you go online and you'll be fine. It's also not necessary to run a defrag program. The Mac OS takes care of that for you. Some Mac users still do it, myself included, but you'll be fine without it.

You cannot selectively delete items that you have "stored" in the Trash. Sorry.

Thanks so much Greg for the tips.

Being asking and learning the ropes here. Great forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.