No Death Grip Issue on Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

http://www.macworld.com/article/157097/2011/01/verizon_iphone_death_grip.html?lsrc=twt_macworld

It seems that it was a big enough problem for Apple to redesign the antenna. I personally think Apple used the reason "we redesigned the antenna to fit the CDMA chip" to fix a major flaw without personally owning up to it. I expect the next iPhone to have a similar design.

So I ask you, if the antennagate was blown way out of proportion, why did Apple redesign the antenna?

2. MacDawg, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is no evidence they redesigned the antenna due to antennagate
    You stated yourself it is what you personally believe

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Of course there's no issue. Everybody knows Verizon is the better and more reliable network.

Just not the fastest. And of course the old voice+data issue.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

So they attempted to do the "death grip" in a Verizon controlled environment with incredibly strong signal and there was no issue? Wow who'd a thought it? :rolleyes:

The antenna was redesigned to accommodate the CDMA technology. That's all. Enough with the conspiracies.

5. snowfall macrumors member

Perhaps to accomodate CDMA like they said?

As far as I know though, which is not very far, there's not a big enough difference between GSM and CDMA to require a new antenna design itself, though new internals might require you to wrap the antenna a bit differently.

Someone will tear it down and we'll see.

6. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I don't know guys. I think I'm buying on the conspiracy myself.

7. themadrussian macrumors regular

8. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I think its a perfect opportunity for Apple to fix a problem. I want to see why the CDMA chip caused for a whole new antenna design. Until then, I think the majority will believe apple redesigned the antenna...to fix the antenna...problem.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

If they did redesign it's probably to shut everyone up, even if there's no actual difference.

10. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I think that the fact that it is CDMA makes it different, the antenna must work different and i think it doesn't have the problem because it uses one channel instead of two for the GSM

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Antenna redesigned, for new chipset, plus the place were said new iPhone was is surrounded by femtocells. Sure there is not gonna be a gasping deathgrip.

Anandtech mentioned something on the matter, head over to their site for a full rundown.

12. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

*Burp* (see included links)

It looks like people are knocking off a bar. But there's one key issue with Gizmodo's conclusions, here. These iPhones were presented in a controlled environment which certainly had a good signal. The 'death grip' does not destroy the signal—it only drops the signal by a general amount. It showed up more in previous iPhone firmware because of the way bars were handled. Now, with a good signal on the AT&T iPhone, you're lucky to knock a bar off. Doesn't seem so very different from the Verizon iPhone here.

It isn't like this can't be done with most phones, though, and I really don't care. It is fairly close to a non-issue for me. The only real difference for the iPhone is that that the antenna is in a more accessible location, and thanks to the media, every tech nerd on the internet and their dog feels compelled to squeeze, massage, and otherwise molest that spot with the goal of duplicating some kind of signal loss.

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

they would be stupid not to fix the antennae issue. Yes I know all phones may drop a bit holding over the antennae but comparing my 3GS to my iP4 the 4 drops a lot worse.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well, I disagree. I'm far from being an AT&T fan, but your statement is inherently wrong.
    Verizon is better, and AT&T is better.
    Its relative to your needs and requirements, your location, your usage.

In Dallas, AT&T is ahead of Verizon in terms of signal and availability. The 3G speeds far out distances itself from Verizon.

However, up in Oklahoma where my inlaws live, all of this is reversed.

So I'm saying that Verizon is not "always better and more reliable". :D

15. Eso, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The same antenna configuration exists in the leaked casing shown with a sim slot. The legitimacy of that leak is all but confirmed at this point. That means one of two things:

1) The next iPhone model will be dual mode and can support GSM or CDMA.
    2) The casing with the SIM slot will only be used on the next iPhone model for AT&T.

In either case, it's an impossible scenario that the antenna was "redesigned to accommodate the CDMA technology." Why? If you believe that the antenna for the GSM iPhone must have been reconfigured to support CDMA, it would stand to reason that an antenna used for the CDMA iPhone must be reconfigured to support GSM (or dual mode).

If that is the case, then why does the same antenna configuration appear for an iPhone that supports GSM? There's only one conclusion: the antenna configuration has nothing to do with supporting CDMA.

16. Typeriz macrumors newbie

Whats the Point ?? who in there right mind will use a iphone 4 without a case??? if you drop ure phone its shattered the back scratches cant touch antenna... just get the bumper or case...

the only reason they redesigned the cdma iphone's antenna is so verizon can manufacture new cases sold in verizon stores only for profit. Because of the mute switch now my otterbox defender isnt going to fit on the new Ver-iPHONE... !!!

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

no

perhaps that design is required for the CDMA, but optional for the GSM. So GSM would work in either antenna configuration, but CDMA only in the new one...meaning the design is still only to accommodate CDMA

not saying you're wrong, but you aren't necessarily right either. Only time will tell

18. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

I was being sarcastic, but I suck at it lol.