NO!~DENTED MY SCREEN!

introubleahhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
HELP! I just got a brand new powerbook 15.. a lil toy from an above shelf fell and made a small dent in the screen. its about the size of this "u" letter. I've had this comp 2 days now. Is there anyway it can be fixed/replaced for free?? could i send it back and say thats how it came?

introubleahhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
OK, I realize it wouldn't be free.. what would it cost.. I'd assume a huge amount. I can let it slide though, but i mean.. 2 days! planning on having this at least 4/5 years!

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
I can understand your sadness, but I'm sure you'll get over it. The machine still works just fine, right?

As long as you're using it, you won't be able to see the dent since it's on the other side of the screen...

simmonstwin

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2004
South
introubleahhh said:
HELP! I just got a brand new powerbook 15.. a lil toy from an above shelf fell and made a small dent in the screen. its about the size of this "u" letter. I've had this comp 2 days now. Is there anyway it can be fixed/replaced for free?? could i send it back and say thats how it came?
Call up Apple ,tell them it came like that. Problem solved :rolleyes:
Everyone else is acting like apples older brother :eek:

introubleahhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Um, this is the most amazing thing that has ever happened. ITS GONE!??!??!! just a minute ago it was so easy to see.. RIGHT THERE< this dent! it had been there for at least 30 minutes without ever changing its original appearance other than a dent. And now.. its just gone! Thanks for all your help :) I know that on some lcds when you press hard on them they leave a lil funny colored region that will go away in time, but this didn't seem anyting like that, it was a pretty deep gash. I dont know how it happened, but it did. Miracle.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You didn't know that the new 15" powerbooks included the self healing LCD's?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Was it just some stuck pixels that were unstuck over use?

Either way, glad to hear it worked out. Don't try it again.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
introubleahhh said:
Um, this is the most amazing thing that has ever happened. ITS GONE!??!??!! just a minute ago it was so easy to see.. RIGHT THERE< this dent!
Are you sure you didn't just scroll up? :p

introubleahhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I guess the lcd is just pliable enough that it can be dented pretty bad and then in time morph back to normal.. still, it looked permanent.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
introubleahhh said:
I guess the lcd is just pliable enough that it can be dented pretty bad and then in time morph back to normal.. still, it looked permanent.
now return it.....and then go buy it again......

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England

I dropped a DVD player onto my 17" studio display recently. It dented the plastic & ripped a hole in the TFT layer giving me an annoying white hole in the image! I was told it would be cheaper to replace than fix, so I claimed on my house insurance & got £450. I used this towards a 23" for my new G5.

I was totally gutted at the time, but in the end got a good Result.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Don't know how things work in the UK, but if he was in the US, his insurance premium would now be doubled, that is if they'd even stoop as far as to insure him.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
WildCowboy said:
Don't know how things work in the UK, but if he was in the US, his insurance premium would now be doubled, that is if they'd even stoop as far as to insure him.
I've yet to find that out! but my insurance at the moment is less than the claim, so even if it doubles Im not losing anything.

Im not sure why this is fraud, I have the contents of my house covered for Loss & accidental damage. I went through a lengthy interview with a claims adjuster & they decided that I could make a valid claim. Now what surprised me was that they did not want any kind of repair quote on this occasion.

Now Lacero Libel thats an interesting word...

a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
evil_santa said:
I dropped a DVD player onto my 17" studio display recently. It dented the plastic & ripped a hole in the TFT layer giving me an annoying white hole in the image! I was told it would be cheaper to replace than fix, so I claimed on my house insurance & got £450. I used this towards a 23" for my new G5.

I was totally gutted at the time, but in the end got a good Result.
No wonder we all pay ridiculously high insurance premiums when people use insurance to replace products....IMO, insurance should be used when your house burns to the ground or when someone steals everything you have.