No Design Changes Expected for Next-Generation $329 iPad, Touch ID and Headphone Jack to Remain

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The seventh-generation iPad that Apple is planning to release alongside an updated iPad mini 5 will continue to use the same housing as the sixth-generation iPad, according to Japanese site Mac Otakara.

Prior rumors have suggested the device will feature a 10.2-inch display rather than a 9.7-inch display, but Mac Otakara says that it is hearing mixed rumors from suppliers. One supplier said that the display is "10 inches" but another said that the display size has not been changed.

[​IMG]

Regardless of display size, the tablet is expected to continue to use a Touch ID fingerprint sensor rather than transitioning to Face ID like the iPad Pro models, and it will also still have a headphone jack.

Apple is expected to introduce both the updated seventh-generation iPad and a refreshed iPad mini at some point in the spring, perhaps right around the time of its March 25 event. Rumors have said the event will focus on software rather than hardware, but updates could be announced via press release shortly afterwards.

Mac Otakara says that it's likely both new iPads will debut at the same time, but the site did not provide any prospective launch timelines beyond mentioning that suppliers are preparing for a launch. Apple's current sixth-generation iPad sells for $329, and the new model is expected to be available at the same price point.

Article Link: No Design Changes Expected for Next-Generation $329 iPad, Touch ID and Headphone Jack to Remain

2. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I need a new ipad, as I have an ipad 2. $329 sounds like a bargain next to the price of the max. I don't care if it's not the latest and greatest.

3. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors 6502

WoodpeckerBaby

This is so that those low-cost iPad doesn't piss off people who paid $2200 for an iPad Pro. Apple needs to differentiate low-end and premium offerings. If they make 10.2' iPad $329, then what's the point of paying $899 for the 10.5' iPad Pro?

4. Buty, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019

Buty macrumors newbie

This is pathetic if true. Too lazy and greedy
    of Apple to push such outdated design and esp such low grade face time camera only to make people buy Ipad pro (which are not computer but darn good iPads) for really great user experience. Hoping to be surprised in March though.

5. dsraj macrumors newbie

dsraj

7th-Generation iPad to Retain Same Design, Touch ID and Headphone Jack

There. Fixed it for you.

6. ghanwani macrumors 65816

Still hoping for SE 2. If they can keep the iPad and iPad Mini alive, why not the SE?

7. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

What can I say but...yes! Especially the headphone jack, Touch ID is just fine as well - was hoping for an in screen tech but I like Touch ID.

Have an Air 2 & am ready to replace it. Money is ready.

Well to keep your hope alive, you did see the icon for the iPod touch with no home button and all screen, right? Could be a small stretch from that to a SE follow up....

8. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

It wonder how much better it will be than the current one? The current one is on sale often for $249. That's just a steal of a price.

9. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

When you're a pony and only know one trick. Introducing the All-New "iPad". It's the best iPad, ever.

10. nzcatfood macrumors member

I'm really looking forward to the new mini. Naturally, Apple will gimp the hell out of it and make it a monumentally difficult purchase decision once again.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

What exactly is the downside to sticking an A12 in the current low cost iPad? If I weren’t in the market for the new mini I’d see none at all...

12. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

I don't care about a good camera, or need any bells and whistles. I have my 11" and 12.9" pro for that. Just give me an iPad mini with an updated processor and I will be overjoyed. I love the iPad mini.

13. MikeAnd macrumors member

Uh, if they're only giving integer precision in the rumor, then 9.7" is "10 inches." There's nothing contradictory there.

14. RippedAmoeba macrumors newbie

I hope they'll make it a laminated display this time.

15. Pepe4life macrumors 6502

Pepe4life

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Apple is still selling the 10.5” Pro with Touch ID at its original price.

16. rowspaxe macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

Its pretty great, and for $329 its a huge bargain.

17. majkom macrumors 65816

18. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

I just want a new iPad Mini or maybe an iPod Touch with a 6” screen. I want to install them as HomeKit control panels in my house.

19. edwrap macrumors member

Yeah, this and quad speakers would get me to upgrade from an Air 2.

20. Heelpir8 macrumors member

I'll be sold if it's got more than 2GB of RAM in it.

21. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

You missed out on some great prices on the 2018 iPad. That device is actually pretty nice w/ the A10 processor and Apple Pencil support.

22. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Without a laminated display, I'll stick with my Air2.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2019 ---
    So, what is new about the iPad v7. ?

23. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

So the cheaper iPad has a headphone jack (which the pro doesn’t) and touch ID which I found to be more flexible than Face ID.

Crazy that the pro doesn’t have as many features as the iPad

24. cknibbs macrumors regular

They need to simplify by having an entry level line with TouchID and Bezel, and then a Pro line with FaceID and full screens.

iPad Mini 7.9”
    iPad 9.7”
    iPad Pro Mini 8.5”
    iPad Pro 11”
    iPad Pro Max 12.9”

Come to think of it... that would really translate well into the iPhone line too. An entry level line of iPhones, and then a Pro line of iPhones

iPhone mini 4”
    iPhone 4.7”
    iPhone Max 5.5”
    iPhone Pro Mini 5”
    iPhone Pro 5.8”
    iPhone Pro Max 6.5”

25. RippedAmoeba macrumors newbie

Any chance it'll happen?