iPad mini No diagnostic, no applecare+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mactroki, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Mactroki macrumors member

Hi,

I received my rMini cellular last week after ordering it online on Apple Store. I forgot to buy AppleCare + so today I called the support and they sent me the email which has the link to open the diagnostic app (this is the procedure to check remotely that your device is working).

Problem is that, no matter what we do, it always says "ticket not found". They sent me like 10 emails with different ticket numbers, they asked me to reset network settings, I even ended up with restoring (from a freshly downloaded ipsw file). They say they have never encountered this problem before. After 2 50-minute calls they proposed that I cancel my order and make a new one, which of course I refused! A new call is scheduled tomorrow morning but I am kinda worried since I don't want to give back my rMini (whose screen, by the way, seems just fine) and to wait for another one. Also I really want this extra insurance.

Physical Apple store says I have to deal with online support.

I cannot believe that changing my device will help in anything as I have the strong feeling this is a software. Everything works fine on my device. Note that ticket numbers worked fine with my IPhone 5s running 7.0.4 too.

Has anyone ever encountered this message? And has anyone experienced a diagnostic on a rMini cellular running 7.0.4?

Or any advice to deal with such situation.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It's odd that the store would say you have to get it online. I ordered my iPhone online and bought Applecare+ a week later in the store.

I would try the store again.

3. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I did not insist when I first went because it was before the calls.

Do I need an appointment for that?

4. Gol27 macrumors regular

This has been happening to me since Saturday. Had about 5 calls with a minimum time of about 45 minutes. They were very friendly though and seeing as it was a confusing problem they made it fairly painless.

In the end I went for a refund and got it in store today. No appointment needed and I was set up and out the store in 15 minutes.

5. 1infinityloop macrumors newbie

I got my iPad Rmini today. Called apple to get AppleCare+ and had the same issue..Spend 2 hours trying to run the diagnostics and getting transferred thrice but with no luck.
    Finally, they gave me AppleCare+ without running the diagnostics and taking my word that there is no damage.

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

A refund on what your iPad or AppleCare?

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Done this about 4 times, just take to store and grab sales guy, say you need to air applecare. You have 30 days from time of purchase. Did it for my air and mini.

8. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

I don't feel alone anymore!

Gol27, it means that you got a replacement and got AppleCare+ without running Diagnostic but directly from Store?

So nobody can testimony of a working diag on rMini 7.0.4?

9. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Just finished my scheduled call with support. Good thing is that they did not ask me any other testing. They say this is now a known problem on rMini and that they are waiting for a feedback from engineers. Replacement does not seem like the solution which I am glad.

I should have news within the next 48hrs.

10. Gol27 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    By refund I meant for the apple care. I got a perfect ipad so no way would I return that lol.

They refunded me the £79, so I just went into the store said I want apple care + they gave it a quick look over and I was done.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i did the diagnostic for the 5s which was fairly painless, but for the ipad i wasn't asked to do a diagnostic of any kind. the guy just asked for my serial number and credit card info and i was done.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Me too. I'm good to go.

13. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Same here but they didn't take my word for it !
    I finally gave up and took the "classic  care " .

14. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Yes they tried with me too but I kindly refused, twice. I don't even know what this product offers but I know I want the other one.

It clearly seems like a bug either on iOS or on their servers.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

When I bought it at the store (two weeks after I bought the Air) they didn't even run the diagnostic. They checked the serial number and the liquid sensors. Took less than 5 mins. Same with my iPhone a few years ago.

16. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

Same for my 5s. I think diagnostic is only for remote subscription of the plan.

17. Charliebird, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I'm really on the fence about Applecare +. Right now if the worst case scenario happens and drop my rMini and it totally breaks Apple will 'replacement' it for $249.00. If I purchase Applecare + for $100 and pay $49.00 for the replacement fee the total cost is $149.00. At best I'll save $100 for the worst case scenario. If nothing happens I'll be out a $100 dollars. I'm I missing something?

18. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Curieusement les deux personnes avec ce problème sont à Paris !

Oddly , both persons with that problem are in Paris !

19. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

You are not. It is just that I want peace of mind and don't think everyday that the worst case scenario can happen.

I think it is a must have for my 5s because I don't want to spoil its design with a case as I did for my 4s. However for my rMini, I hesitated a lot since it is less exposed.

I am also thinking about reselling price though I have no clue how much it can impact.

----------

From what I understand (may be my poor English) two other people in this thread had the same issue. And one of them is in Texas. I know they have Paris there too but he is from Austin!

20. ScottW1, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

ScottW1 macrumors regular

Actually, "worst case" would be you drop it twice, and need two replacements at $249 ($498 total) vs. two replacements at $49 and the $100 AC+ cost ($200 total). Or maybe "worst case" is that that battery (or display, or home button, or sleep switch) just stops working during the second year, when AC+ has extended the factory warranty a second year, so you get a FREE replacement vs the $249 replacement fee an unlimited number of times for the $100 AC+ cost. And if you live far from an Apple store, AC+ provides "express replacement", which can be a big convenience.

But it is still an "extended warranty" and accidental damage "insurance" which companies sell as, in the aggregate, they make a profit doing so -- only because (in the aggregate) most consumers do not ever need or profit from them. It is a personal decision, though, because there is value in many cases.

21. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

From what I understand (may be my poor English) two other people in this thread had the same issue. And one of them is in Texas. I know they have Paris there too but he is from Austin![/QUOTE]

Anyway the two of us are in Paris, France ;)
    I called back Apple and talked to a senior tech guy who made me do the same tests as before with no results. he tried to talk the Apple care guys into giving Care + but no luck !

BTW , have a look at this :

http://www.paris-paris-paris.com/footer/the_other_paris

22. Mactroki thread starter macrumors member

So that's it? They hung up saying they can't do anything for you? There is a lack if communication in their side since they are supposed to work on the issue and call me back.

23. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

No , no , he said he would call me back . I just forgot to write it :eek:

24. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

25. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I just rang yesterday to buy AppleCare+ for my Air, Got the diagnostics email and ran the tests and sent the report back. The woman on the phone told me that it had shown up that the Facebook app was running out of memory and that the test had to be 100% clear before I could continue.

She was wanting me to restore my iPad and then run the test again to get 100% clear. I thought this was a bit strange as it was only a low memory warning and there was obviously no hardware defect with the Air but I just went ahead and started to back up my iPad.

When I was in the middle of the backup she came back and said that she had been told it was a software problem and nothing to do with the hardware then passed me on to a senior AppleCare advisor to complete the purchase.

A half an hour phone call to buy AppleCare+, I think i'll just go into the store next time.