No Display Updates. Now, which other model are you planning to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reub, Jun 9, 2008.

1. reub macrumors newbie

Ok - So no update to Apple Displays was announced today. Disappointing but unsurprising.

I'd been waiting to see if there would be one before making my choice. I'm looking at 24" displays, but for everyone looking at 20, 23/24, 27 and 30 inch displays, which model are you planning on getting now and why?

What do you think is the best of breed 24" for someone more interested in picture quality (web, dev tools, occasional video) than games?

2. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I was really hoping that the ACDs would get updated, even silently... but they didn't...

I can't justify the extra £100 for the Apple, so I think that I will be going for the Dell 2408WFP. It has so many more features than the 23" ACD, for cheaper and it is still a professional monitor for photography etc, so I just can't see what I will get in return for buying the ACD (except the awesome design).

If they updated them and included an iSight camera, and reduced the price, I would buy one instantly.

BTW, this is for a MacBook Pro (to be used in lid down mode) it that makes any difference. I have been debating buying two of them and using one with my G4 Mac Mini - and watch movies / test things on it... but we'll see!

3. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

It was a toss-up between the 23'' ACD and the 2407WFP A04 from Dell. I ended up choosing the latter, and could not be happier with my purchase. A lot more inputs, and goes very well with my black L desk :D. Colors are excellent, no input lag problems. I highly recommend the 2407WFP A04 for all-around use (you may still be able to find them on eBay). Don't fall for the 'High Color' hype.. Dell's newer panels have traded a larger color gamut for decent response times and panel quality.

If you are planning on purchasing the 2408WFP, trying looking for a 2407WFP Revision A04 monitor. You will save a lot more money that way. In my opinion, quality is pretty astonishing (especially for something coming from Dell).

:cool:

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm happy to say I'm sticking to my plans to still buy an ACD, it's just something I won't get over until I buy one, something I have to do ;)

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

same here. 30" acd here i come!

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I was going to order the Dell 3008FPW until Dell ran a sale on the 2408FPW which made it 25% of the cost of the 30". Color accuracy is not critical to me, so the S-PVA panel in the 24" Dell is not an issue and I have a fully future-proof panel.

7. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

8. rolex54 macrumors 6502

its pretty ridiculous actually, they really should have updated them a long time ago, and dropped the price, considering they are ridiculously expensive compared to similar displays

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

WWDC is not over yet.

Let's see what the rest of it holds.

10. octagon macrumors newbie

Ordered my 23" ADC last night after keynote, still the best value in comparison to others. Doubt anything else will come from the WWDC, if it does I will just return it.
    Oh well, bit let down by yesterday:eek:

11. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

12. lmps56 macrumors member

Cmon

Be honest with yourself!
    Apple will most likely not update their monitor series ever again! Speculation yes, but what the heck has been holding them back in the past couple of years.
    You dont want a huge, ugly, black 24" dell sitting beside your pretty Mac Pro or whatever mac you have.
    The ACDs are still pretty darn good. The picture quality is amazing. Yes even considering its age.
    Just buy the ACD. You dont like it, return it and get a Dell.
    Tell you what though. You buy a dell now because its "newer" and cheaper you'll regret it.
    ....and now im open for arguments :D

13. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Apple has not updated the ACD because they have seen no need to. No Mac uses a connector other then DVI and since Apple control the hardware, they don't need to worry about people trying to connect video cards with HDMI or DisplayPort outputs to their ACDs. And since Apple does not support encrypted HD content on the Mac, the ACD does not need HDCP support.

The only device Apple makes that does offer an HDMI connector is the :apple:tv, and Apple doesn't want that connected to an ACD - they want it connected to your TV.

I didn't buy a Dell because it was newer or it was cheaper. The Dell 3008FPW 30" costs more then the 30" ACD, after all. I bought the Dell because it was a better value for me then the ACD.

14. lmps56 macrumors member

You're definitely right about everything there. Still does not explain why they havent improved the panel yet. Im talking contrast, brightness a.s.o..
    Do you actually use all the features the ACD does not offer?

15. dtbray macrumors newbie

16. reub thread starter macrumors newbie

bifurcated market

lmps56 - I think the problem that keeps coming up is that there are two schools of thought on the ACD. One group of customers are interested in having a "good" display that visually matches their other Apple machines and provides a cohesive look. In this respect, the display compares unfavorably with other options both in terms of features and cost, but it's aesthetics and generally good performance still justify it to many Mac owners. It seems like you fall into this category.

Another group are interested in it as an entrant to the professional graphics work level market. These folks are interested in color accuracy, gamut, etc. Many have argued that when viewed in this light, the ACD is a competitive option that offers value.

My point is that if you like the display for any of the above reasons, get it and be happy, but understand that others have good reasons why it doesn't meet their needs. - reub

17. futuremac macrumors member

18. dtbray macrumors newbie

NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30inch 4 Year Waranty

I think it has a 4 year warranty. The ACD is $1799, The NEC is about $100 more and for that $100 you get many many improvements. You would spend more than that on extendingt the 1 year ACD waranty to 3 years. Read the review at "Trusted Reviews" It's kind of ugly but I'm more interested in performance.

19. lmps56 macrumors member

I know! :D.
    It just seemed like that you have been waiting for an update a pretty long time. So i was just trying to help you make up your mind :D.
    And yes, i am pretty darn happy with my 23" ACD.

20. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

reub: you know me so well :D I fall into the first school.

However, a crucial point you missed out is that whilst we love the cinema display because it goes with our other apple stuff, we're afraid of buying now because in terms of time, Apple is due to replaces the current batch of ACDs. And we don't want to be stuck with the old one..:rolleyes:

21. reub thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. That's the reason I'd been holding off until WWDC. At some point though, each of us gets to a point where we're unwilling to wait. I think I've reached mine. The value of having a big screen monitor for development and internet and such, particularly if I can use a wireless keyboard and mouse and go into clamshell mode is much greater than whatever display voodoo they might be working on.

Apple's policy of doing everything in the dark without any public roadmaps or projected releases for hardware is really annoying. It's a big reason that so many businesses don't/can't buy their products and it's just frustrating for folks like us who'd like to buy their stuff but fear instant planned obsolescence. Is the hype really that worth it? Is there any reason they couldn't tell us if/when their planning on releasing new displays? It's not like it's the next OS or Steve's super secret karma laser / iPopcorn maker...

22. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

At the moment, no, but that will change.

When the Mac Pro transitions to the Nehalem platform, I will be buying one. Having two DVI inputs on my Dell means I can use it with both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro, which I could not do with the ACD. It also has four USB ports compared to the two on the ACD. While I prefer FireWire, even Apple is moving away from it for things like the iPhone Dock and my Aluminum keyboard. So being able to have additional USB ports is critical for me.

I don't know if Display Port will ever catch on, but if it does, my monitor will be able to connect to cards that use it. And chances are those cards will appear in the Mac Pro. And since it supports HDMI, composite, component and S-Video, I can connect any past, present or future consumer electronics device to it, so should I eventually replace it with a 30" display, it can be used as a general tv/monitor.

And I certainly hope that 30" display is going to be an Apple Cinema one because Apple will have updated it with new features and abilities.

23. MacPM8 macrumors regular

I'm sitting in the same boat as you OP but I think I'm going to go with this current ACD and if a new one comes out, its ok because these current ones are still pretty top knotch. :apple:

24. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I Don't think the Dells are ugly at all, and No I don't regret no getting an apple I'm glad I got dell. Yes they have great image quality but so does my dell and it was far cheaper.

25. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'm with ya on the whole secrecy thing. It's gotten a bit old.

Also, I'm pretty sure whatever display voodoo they're working on isn't going to be something super magical or world changing. No, they delegate resources and time for stuff like that to things like the iphone or mac. Definitely, not the cinema displays. Ive and gang aren't too interested in cinema displays or apple mice.

one thing i should have added though..is whilst I'm afraid of buying an ACD now only for a new one to be released, the one good thing is i'll be able to sell the ACD and recoup much of what I spent since apples and ACDs hold their value very well. Whatever loss incurred..we can just put that down to paying for the enjoyment we had over the last few weeks/months, who knows? :)

the way I see things..the earliest we'll see new cinema displays is at the next big show or something. Macworld or less possibly sometime late this year if they update the mac pro. Otherwise, we'll still have some time to enjoy it.

I was at the apple store this evening, playing with the 30" ACD. Sweet lord it was a beauty..