No Earbuds with iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I think Apple forgot to put earbuds in my box. How do I proof that I didn't receive earbuds with my iPad 3?

Will Apple be difficult with this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Very difficult. ;)

Earbuds have never been included with the iPad.

4. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok. I expected that there would be earbuds since I got earbuds with all my Apple products except for my Macbook Pro.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Apple includes earbuds only with iPods (for music) and iPhones (for music/taking calls). iPad is a computer, not a music player or a handset.

6. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Yes, no earbuds with the iPad. But you'd be better off buying your own higher quality buds.

7. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

The back of the box states what's included with the iPad. Did u not bother reading it?

8. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    They are cheap buds anyway...much better to buy your own

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

With that high-quality built-in speaker, who needs buds anyway? :p

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

A pair of $10 iLuv earbuds sound at least twice as good as the ones they bundle with iPods/iPhones.

11. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I don't know about that. Often I use my iPad just for listening to music with my earbuds connected, and it does a fine job in doing that. So it is also a music player, among other things it does. So one could argue it deserved to have basic earbuds included with it.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Well, using that logic, one can also argue that all the MacBooks need a pair of earbuds, because one can potentially be listening to music on those.

iPhones have the headset because it's directly related to their primary function (taking calls); iPods have earbuds because those are directly related to their primary function (listening to music/podcasts). The iPad is neither. It's a non pocketable device whose primary function is not to be a handset or a music player.

13. kobiano macrumors member

well stated...

14. JerseyDoug, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012

JerseyDoug macrumors regular

You know I find the standard apple earplugs better than others of have tried. I gave away a set of skull cap and the Klipsch I bought just have no bottom end.

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yes, why not? There would be nothing wrong with that.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Other than paying for extraneous stuff that'll sit in a drawer. MacBook, iPad, iPhone, iPod nano... Do I really need four sets of earbuds???? One can always buy more earbuds if needed, so better to only include when they're related to the primary function of the device.

Just my opinion. You're welcome to yours and to send your suggestion to apple. Maybe you can convince them to include headphones with every device sold. Good luck with that.

In any event, this is all irrelevant to the OP's incorrect assumption that they're included with the iPad. They aren't and never have been. Prove to apple you didn't get them all you want, they'll just shrug and say "So......?" :D

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I can buy a macbook without having anything else made by Apple.
    Your reasoning applies to phones and pods too. I could easily state that in 2012 you're supposed to have your own headphones, but that's not the point. Yet you see 90% of them using those crappy white pieces of plastic.

18. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Well stated...

19. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Using that logic, my TV should have also included ear buds.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iLuv is much worse than the default Apple earbuds.

21. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Sure. There'd also be nothing wrong with Apple giving away free candy to every iPad or Mac buyer. Not sure how much it'd serve the product itself, but that'd be a nice gesture.

Not trying to be snarky, or anything, but I fail to understand why Apple not including earphones with the iPad is such a big deal. Am I the only human on the planet who owns and uses a non Apple pair(s) of earphones?

So, to wrap it up:
    -Would it be nice if the iPad or Macbooks included a pair of earphones? Sure.
    -Is it needed (i.e. essential) to these devices? Absolutely not.

22. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I have never stated it's needed, or that it's a big deal, not sure what are you quoting. As I said, if I expect everyone to own a pair of earphones, then Apple's decision to include them in their phones and media players is very arguable.
    An iPad is a media consumption device, just like every computer out there, and just like an iPod or iPhone, for instance. Depending on the use, earphones could be useless to an iPod and an iPhone user, just like an iPad or MacBook user could consider them essential, or if you like needed. It's subjective, anyone would love to see something they're interested in bundled with the product.

I'd like a case to be included in my MacBook package, but just because Apple doesn't do it, that doesn't mean it's wrong or anything. So yes, I'd like to see quality earphones in every Mac, that'd be a plus. Absolutely nothing wrong about it.

23. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I was referring to this.

It's not about expectancy. It's about being efficient in including only those accessories that are directly related to the primary function of the device. iPods have earphones/sync cable; iPhones have headset/charger/sync cable; the iPad (akin to Macbooks) has a charger and a sync cable. It is not a good enough reason that "iPad is also a music player" to include the earphones with it. By this logic, all Macs should come bundled with USB, Firewire, Ethernet, and Thunderbolt cables, because those might be needed by some users.

Anyhow, I don't think anyone would say "no" to extra accessories, but I'd hazard a guess that a whole bunch of people would say "no" to the product price going up because of extra/unneeded accessories. As Steve Jobs once rightly said, "products are packages that have certain trade offs".
    It's all about choosing the right things to include in that package. What do I mean by "right things"? Well, it's those accessories/features that would serve the most benefit to most users.

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Indeed, that doesn't add up.

As I said, it's all very subjective.
    If I have an iPad to be able to listen to music and watch movies on it, it's obvious that I consider earphones to be needed.
    I can use an iPod (touch) to surf the web, game and access my cloud without even thinking of listening to music (indeed, that's what I do). I can, too, use my phone without any headset. Most of those who need them have their own quality ones, instead of those horrible Apple's ones.
    A charger, obviously, is of primary importance, as without it my product would cease to function. :rolleyes: Earphones are accessories, so that's really off topic.
    What you state about cables is off topic too, as external accessories using I/O are expected to come with their own cables.

I have never touched my iPod/iPhone earphones. I'd need other accessories, such as a decent case, for example.
    If Apple added those earphones to the iPad package, I'm sure you'd totally agree with that, coming up with a poor supported argument, again. But that's just my impression.

25. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

This thread really should have stopped as soon as the first person said that ear buds aren't included. sigh.