MacBytes

macrumors bot
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003

Category: Microsoft
Link: Vista will NOT boot on Intel Macs
Description:: Just minutes ago, Microsoft dropped a bombshell at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco (after the main conference had closed): there will be no EFI boot support for Windows Vista when it is released - it'll only be in "Longhorn server"; Microsoft is not going to allow EFI booting for 32-bit systems (which counts out all the Intel Macs released to date) and it can't say when EFI support WILL be implemented in Windows. Apparently we will have to wait for a "future 64-bit version" of Windows client. Australian Personal Computer Magazine has the full story.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Atlasland said:
I might have to switch back to Windows then.

Oh well.

Anyone want to buy the iMac in my sig?

why do you need to switch back to windows based on this news? you've got a G5 imac, seems irrelevant whether or not vista will boot on an intel mac.

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wait, so they use BIOS now right? Are they going to continue this? Isn't EFI the newer, better way to go rather than BIOS? Cuz right now this sounds like Microsoft trying to cut corners. But then again when haven't they cut corners?

Comment

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Atlasland said:
I might have to switch back to Windows then.

Oh well.

Anyone want to buy the iMac in my sig?

dashiel said:
why do you need to switch back to windows based on this news? you've got a G5 imac, seems irrelevant whether or not vista will boot on an intel mac.

yea, I dont get it. did you buy a mac just 2 weeks ago in hopes of booting into windows in 3 months?

im guessing sarcasim or retardisim

Comment

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
but this only means that vista won't work... there are some working solutions for xp and 2000 at present......?

(for me, windows programs are critical. design and architecture programs are a must... and the ibook in my signature just bit the dust...)

r.

Comment

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
The Divide Widens.. for a while

So Microsoft will move their software further from advanced technology, and further from Mac users. Sad. I hope by the time I buy and Macintel there as options- options are good.

Comment

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
LimeiBook86 said:
Exactly my thoughts, don't worry enough people want this, it'll happen eventually :D...I hope :(

If they've gotten OSX on pc boxes, we'll have Windows on Apple boxes. It's inevitable. :)

I hope that someday I'll be able to run Windows and OSX applications side-by-side seamlessly.

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
This is a non-issue, in my opinion. In the next few months, we will get robust dual-boot, virtualization, and emulation solutions. What Microsoft will or won't do is irrelevant.

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
just goes to show you how far ahead of the curve Apple is when it comes to technology. As usual, they are 2-3 years more advanced.

Comment

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Oryan said:
If they've gotten OSX on pc boxes, we'll have Windows on Apple boxes. It's inevitable. :)

I hope that someday I'll be able to run Windows and OSX applications side-by-side seamlessly.

You will be able to in the near future (6 months or so). XenSource is working on porting their application to Mac OS X so you can run Windows and OS X--side by side with no performance loss. Furthermore, they are partnering with apple so that Xen can be used in all new Macs.

Comment

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Intel Firmware Patch?

Couldn't this debacle easily be solved by Apple releasing an updated EFI firmware with a proper CSM/BIOS?

It's not unusual in the WinTel world to flash new a BIOS. I'm sure Apple engineers could find a way to do this elegantly. :confused:

steve1496, link?

Comment

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
What I don't understand is why people seem to think that Windows-booting on Intel Macs seems to be so necessary. In my opinion, if you're going to buy a Mac, buy it for its merits now, not for what could possibly happen with Windows-booting. Even if there was Windows-booting, why in the world would you buy a Mac to run Windows? If anything, I think it would make more sense to buy Virtual PC or use some other emulation program, especially because now that we're on Intel chips, the cost of emulation/virtualization will be low and Windows should run fast in such an emulator/virtualizer.

But to buy a Mac and base your purchase on being able to run Windows in the future? That doesn't make sense.

To me, being able to run Windows on a Mac is kind of akin to being able to natively run Windows applications on the Mac via yellow box (or whatever that technology was supposed to be called). If it was really easy to do, and you could do it without doing any significant hacking, Windows developers would have no reason to write Mac-specific software, and would just say, "Go boot your Mac into Windows and then run our software! Why should we spend millions of dollars creating programs for you Mac users when you can run our program already?"

I don't have any problem with those savvy enough hacking Macs to dual-boot Windows. But when it becomes a standard or expected feature, the Mac platform will suffer. So I think, in a way, it's good that Vista won't support native EFI booting, and I'm glad that Apple isn't officially supporting running Windows on the Mac.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Not surprising... MS has been steadily backing off of Longhorn features for the last few years hoping to actually be able to release something. They're now down to a feature list that's shorter than their monthly patch list.

For those folks who do get Vista, can you scratch at the paint on the install media and let us know if they're just repackaged XP discs?

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
ahh give it a week until someone fines a security flaw allowing it to be put on an intel mac

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
simX said:
What I don't understand is why people seem to think that Windows-booting on Intel Macs seems to be so necessary.
Whatever you think, the demand is real. One of the stories yesterday quoted that twice as many college students would switch to Mac if they could boot Windows.

You're probably looking at it backwards: this is less about Mac users wanting to run Windows and more about Windows users wanting to run OS X. Switching to Mac feels risky in a Windows world and this gives people a backup plan. Makes the boss feel a little better. Whatever-- the demand is there.

Comment

Meemoo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
Sugar Land TX
I'd much rather prefer games made natively for the mac, but it just doesn't happen.

I built a PC this September because my iBook could barely run Unreal Tournament. When Apple announced the new iMac, I found a buyer for my PC and monitored the OnMac contest ect, now I am PC-less, my iMac will be arriving "by the 17th" and I found out the ONE GAME, I really wanted to work (Command and Conquer: Generals) is virtually unplayable on the intel iMac, not only that but we are nowhere near close.

So here I am the week before Spring Break, my PC buddies have a few LAN parties ready and I can't attend.

I was really hoping they would figure out how to book XP from a external hard drive. This would be great because you wouldn't have to worry about partitions ect. I think it would be a great business if anyone ever gets XP/Vista to run NATIVE on the Mac to sell external harddrives preloaded with Windows. Hell, I'd pay $300 for one right now.

I would only boot into windows for LAN gaming ect. It would be no more different for me than turning on a Playstation, I'd still have my Mac for all it's functions.

I'd like to ad: Did Dual booting 10.1 and Classic stunt OS X development? No, even though OS X was a buggy mess at first development steamrolled forward.

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I think a really good WINE would solve 95% of windows needs. What are situations where it doesn't work?

The other thing to note is that even though MS won't support EFI I bet it won't be long befor EFI supports BIOS. Then all problems will be solved!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.