Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Bizarrely, the 750GB hard drive I tried before receiving the new SSD partitioned and installed fine.

----------

It was indeed :)

That is bizarre to say the least. The only reason why I said the cable is because they are delicate and easy to damage while disconnecting it.

Note that I am not insulting your repair ability, but stating the fact that the cable is delicate.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
That is bizarre to say the least. The only reason why I said the cable is because they are delicate and easy to damage while disconnecting it.

Note that I am not insulting your repair ability, but stating the fact that the cable is delicate.

Haha, none taken; more help the better.

I am ridiculously confused. The file system is correct, the OS install seems to run OK and yet there is no startup disk. Then, it's reporting a failing drive. :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Haha, none taken; more help the better.

I am ridiculously confused. The file system is correct, the OS install seems to run OK and yet there is no startup disk. Then, it's reporting a failing drive. :confused:

You just have no luck at all do you. :eek:

I would agree with Altemose that it now is likely a bad cable and less likely a logic board issue. It is odd it works with the HDD though. Maybe the SSD is more sensitive to a failing cable. :confused:

I have seen bad RAM cause drive corruption. Can you run the Apple Hardware Test and see what that says.

What if you pop that SSD back in the external enclosure. Does it format and after that come up okay on a verify disk there?

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
You just have no luck at all do you. :eek:

I would agree with Altemose that it now is likely a bad cable and less likely a logic board issue. It is odd it works with the HDD though. Maybe the SSD is more sensitive to a failing cable. :confused:

I have seen bad RAM cause drive corruption. Can you run the Apple Hardware Test and see what that says.

What if you pop that SSD back in the external enclosure. Does it format and after that come up okay on a verify disk there?

I would say "you have no idea" but given you've been replying since I started this thread, you really do! Haha. Nightmare. Been without the Mac for over a week :-(

If memory serves me right, I think the HDD took a couple of reboots before it properly booted to the OS. I have tried formatting the disk and then immediately running Verify Disk and it works fine. As I said earlier, after the first install, I ran verify and it reported lots of errors. However it seemed to just go away after I mounted, dismounted, verified and repaired a few times.

Maybe it's time to book that "Genius" appointment!

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Have you verified that your SSD firmware is current?
AFAIK, current is EXT0BB6Q...

Hopefully it isn't naive to say: the SSD is brand new so I presume the latest firmware is installed. I will check though.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hopefully it isn't naive to say: the SSD is brand new so I presume the latest firmware is installed. I will check though.

Never assume anything, especially with computers...

It is possible that an SSD is more susceptible to cable wear or damage. Ever run a hard drive with a bad cable? Runs terribly, beach balls, slow boots, corrupt file copies, etc.

Now picture an SSD trying to suck more "bandwidth" through the damaged pipe. It is like driving a car with a clogged fuel filter. It whimpers when you punch it. Unfortunately, the SSD is failing boot when it can't load the files.

It is possible it is a second bad SSD... but since you claim the HDD took multiple reboots that states a simple fact that it isn't likely.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If memory serves me right, I think the HDD took a couple of reboots before it properly booted to the OS.

Hmm... that does sound like a bad cable, or less likely a bad logic board.

Were you able to run the Apple Hardware Test?

Sorry you are having all this trouble. :(

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Updates:

1. Samsung don't appear to run diagnostics before issuing a new drive so I will never know the outcome of that.
2. Installed the new drive, formatted, ran OSX install and rebooted. Folder with question mark :-(
3. Booked the Genius appointment.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Well, well, well chaps. It looks like it wasn't the drive at all. I took the MacBook into Apple and the guy ran diagnostics. The drive was seen but not the operating system. He reckons it's the black cable that clips into the drive that went. I should get it back by 6PM today and they're repairing it for free under the consumer protection acts. Happy days! Though, I feel rather guilty that I sent a perfectly good drive back to Samsung.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Well, well, well chaps. It looks like it wasn't the drive at all. I took the MacBook into Apple and the guy ran diagnostics. The drive was seen but not the operating system. He reckons it's the black cable that clips into the drive that went. I should get it back by 6PM today and they're repairing it for free under the consumer protection acts. Happy days! Though, I feel rather guilty that I sent a perfectly good drive back to Samsung.

Good to know - I actually had one of these at work that had a failing cable - I remember hearing about that being an issue, especially after making sure the drive worked and trying a cable from another MBP. For some reason, those have failed here and there and everyone is quick to blame the drive (which really is rightly so). I think in the future, if I have any drive problems, my first test will be to see if it works externally.

Docpj

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Is this the sign you are getting?

6afmuIj.png

If you were just happily using your Mac and it spontaneously rebooted, and now you get this sign... it is very likely a bad drive. It could also be a bad drive cable or even a bad logic board, but the bad drive is more likely.

Do you have a USB recovery key or another bootable disk like a Time Machine backup you could use to option key boot to just to see if the system works otherwise.
[doublepost=1510852532][/doublepost]Hi, I have the same problem and I do have an external usb hard drive with time machine on it! How can I use it!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
[doublepost=1510852532][/doublepost]
Hi, I have the same problem and I do have an external usb hard drive with time machine on it! How can I use it!
You can install a new drive then attach the TM drive and option key boot to it. That will give you a recovery screen where you can format the new drive then restore the TM image to the new drive.

Docpj

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
You can install a new drive then attach the TM drive and option key boot to it. That will give you a recovery screen where you can format the new drive then restore the TM image to the new drive.
[doublepost=1510854806][/doublepost]Thank you for your response! It’s what I am seeing now! Just wanted to know if I am doing the right thing!

Attachments

• 66248E99-FB66-4D45-B3EA-086F5927EEB3.jpeg
    66248E99-FB66-4D45-B3EA-086F5927EEB3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123

Docpj

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Hahaa I appreciate it and your wonderful idea:) have a great day
[doublepost=1510856312][/doublepost]
Soo now it says an error occurred..I don’t have another backup..should I reinstall online or should I reboot and try to restore using the same usb external hard drive?
Thank you for your time
[doublepost=1510856655][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1510856312][/doublepost]
Soo now it says an error occurred..I don’t have another backup..should I reinstall online or should I reboot and try to restore using the same usb external hard drive?
Thank you for your time
[doublepost=1510857322][/doublepost]
A7540784-76C4-454F-9DC1-C7527A149ECB.png
S
Yep... that looks good. Now just relax and have a beer while it finishes. :)
So now it shows this message and after I restart once and tried to use the backup drive..same thing

Attachments

• 3D92E047-1942-4577-88C8-0DCB9B6DE982.png
    3D92E047-1942-4577-88C8-0DCB9B6DE982.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
Reactions: Weaselboy

Docpj

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Did you install a new drive? If so, as @Apples555 mentioned, you likely have a bad drive cable.
Hi thank you for replys guys..no I didn’t install a new drive.. I hadd the same ssd for past year and it suddenly happened while I was watching Netflix .. should I open my mac and check the cabales??

Apples555

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Observation won't help you. The way to test is to put the internal drive in an external enclosure. If MacOS fires right up, it's the cable. What MBP is this?

I have had three HDD cable failures on my 2010 13" 2.4 MBP. I've put tape on the parts of the aluminum enclosure touching the cable, and everything seems fine so far. I remember when they failed the SSD would refuse to boot, but an equivalent HDD would still boot (albeit with errors). Never understood why.

Reactions: Docpj and Weaselboy

HackyHackerson

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
I was happily browsing the web when the MacBook decides to freeze and reboot to the no entry sign. I then tried booting to the recovery drive and got nothing. Checked the connection to the SSD and it's absolutely fine.
[doublepost=1513149142][/doublepost]When I got the Do Not Enter sign after a failed update restart, and tried a bunch of stuff just to get to the startup disk option, I noticed that my button pushing registered as a failed password response, so I hit the return key until it sent me into password recovery, from there I could click into start up disk and get a healthy restart.

samumist

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018
Beijing
[doublepost=1513149142][/doublepost]
When I got the Do Not Enter sign after a failed update restart, and tried a bunch of stuff just to get to the startup disk option, I noticed that my button pushing registered as a failed password response, so I hit the return key until it sent me into password recovery, from there I could click into start up disk and get a healthy restart.

I have a rather similar situation of the Do Not Enter sign. I have an SSD installed with both Mac OSX 10.10 and bootcamp win7. I was reminded one day that the bluetooth keyboard battery is running very low. The next time when my wife started the Mac it (must have) booted into safe mode and asking her for a password (the mac is set to log in automatically).

After I changed the battery of the keyboard and tried to start the mac it got this Do Not Enter sign.

I booted into the recovery disk and checked the permission and the disk, they were all fine. and I was able to boot into the windows bootcamp petition fine.

I tried to reinstall the macOs, but perhaps because it is too old and apple won't allow it.

Do you think my problem is the same as yours and would you enlighten me how to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.