Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simoneves

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
I have a US iPhone 4 on 4.1 but still the 4.0.1 baseband (upgraded and jailbroken with TinyUmbrella and greenpois0n) and then unlocked with ultrasn0w.

On a trip to the UK, I am using a "Three" data-only SIM intended for iPads, which I bought as an experiment for just ten pounds for 1GB/30days, and it works just fine for data and even incoming texts, and as I have My3G I can use Skype to make and receive calls, which is great.

However, unlike with the original AT&T SIM, the FaceTime feature is nowhere to be found. There is no FaceTime button on a contact page, even when on Wi-Fi. Actually, now that I mention it, there's no Call button either (which is understandable as it's a data-only SIM).

I'm amazed I can do as much as I can, but it would be nice if FaceTime worked too, especially as I'm going to Singapore next month and would like to do a similar thing there with a StarHub data-only Micro-SIM.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I have a US iPhone 4 on 4.1 but still the 4.0.1 baseband (upgraded and jailbroken with TinyUmbrella and greenpois0n) and then unlocked with ultrasn0w.

On a trip to the UK, I am using a "Three" data-only SIM intended for iPads, which I bought as an experiment for just ten pounds for 1GB/30days, and it works just fine for data and even incoming texts, and as I have My3G I can use Skype to make and receive calls, which is great.

However, unlike with the original AT&T SIM, the FaceTime feature is nowhere to be found. There is no FaceTime button on a contact page, even when on Wi-Fi. Actually, now that I mention it, there's no Call button either (which is understandable as it's a data-only SIM).

I'm amazed I can do as much as I can, but it would be nice if FaceTime worked too, especially as I'm going to Singapore next month and would like to do a similar thing there with a StarHub data-only Micro-SIM.

From what I've read, the iPhone send a certain type of text message to initiate the Facetime call. Since you don't have a voice plan (even though text messaging is data too), the text message may not be getting through their network the proper way to initiate the Facetime call. Just a guess here though. :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Did you re-enabled FaceTime? Facetime sometimes get turned off from the Settings when you take out your SIM. Try re-enabling it.

Also, as per making calls, yes it might be that a Data-Only SIM card might disable certain functions, but that would be a new thing since I haven't heard of SIM cards doing that to an iPhone or another phone for that matter.

simoneves

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
I didn't even know FaceTime could be turned off... :)

I found the switch in Settings and turned it on, but it just hung on "Waiting for activation". I rebooted the phone, as suggested in some Canadian threads, but then it came back with no network name. I turned it off again in Settings and rebooted again and it was OK again (phew). I read about the text required to activate FaceTime (one time only, apparently) so I guess it's just because my SIM doesn't allow texting.

Oh well. Not the end of the world. Thanks, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.