No Fav Icons on MacRumor's main page

satcomer

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have notice (since I clear icon and browser cache one a week) that the main page for MacRumors no longer gives out a browser fav icon in the address bar. I started noticing this since the beginning of the week (Jan 5).

You can notice this to if you clear your history, and cache (I am using Safari but have noticed this also in testing Firefox).

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I see one :confused:
favicon.png

I used both Safari and Chrome and its appearing. I cleared my chrome cache and its still showing up, I don't want to clear my safari cache right now :eek:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I cleared the cache on my work computer and I'm still seeing the favicon :confused:
favicon_win.png

I also see it on IE (at work as well)

satcomer

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I cleared the cache on my work computer and I'm still seeing the favicon :confused:
View attachment 455783

I also see it on IE (at work as well)
Well not inSafari or Firefox after clearing cache and history on MacRumors.com. The fav icon is visible on the Forum page though.

Attachments

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The favicon is the white 'paper' to the left of the www.macrumors.com. You're probably looking at the tab icon, no?
You sure?
espn.png

espn2.png

To me it looks like a favicon, just on the tab for chrome. The behavior is consistent regardless of the website, Safari shows the favicon as we expect but Chrome has it on the tab

Here's IE on my workstation running Windows
IE.png

Edit:
I was expecting to see the favicon in chrome where the empty icon is by the url, but its on the tab, and its consistent across platforms. The OP is using Safari and not seeing it. I'm denying the problem, but it seems to be inconsistent on who its affecting. Perhaps its location bound

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You sure?
View attachment 455793

View attachment 455794

To me it looks like a favicon, just on the tab for chrome. The behavior is consistent regardless of the website, Safari shows the favicon as we expect but Chrome has it on the tab

Here's IE on my workstation running Windows
View attachment 455795

Edit:
I was expecting to see the favicon in chrome where the empty icon is by the url, but its on the tab, and its consistent across platforms. The OP is using Safari and not seeing it. I'm denying the problem, but it seems to be inconsistent on who its affecting. Perhaps its location bound
Okay, yep, you're right. I'm used to seeing it next to the www in Safari. I just checked Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 box and I do, in fact, see the favicon on all of them.

satcomer

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Not sure what the final outcome of this is for the original poster.

But the favicon should be here:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/favicon.ico

If the original poster can see that icon, then I don't know what the problem is. But Safari is pretty aggressive about the favicon caching. So you might have to do it manually: http://www.chriswrites.com/2012/05/how-to-delete-favicon-caches-from-safari/

arn
Hey Arn I fixed it! Something must have messed up when I first did the Safari Reset. I did it again this morning and now it is working correctly. It turned out it was my problem and not the sites. Thank you for being so patient.