Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is not expected to introduce a foldable iPhone until 2023 at the earliest, with 2024 being the more likely target date, according to display analyst Ross Young.

Foldable-iPhone-2023-Feature-Blue.jpg

Rumors about a foldable iPhone have died down in recent months, but there continues to be evidence that Apple is at least working on prototypes of foldable devices. In September 2020, it was suggested that Samsung had provided foldable display samples to Apple for testing purposes, and there have also been rumors that Apple is working with LG Display.

Back in May, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple was working to launch a foldable iPhone with an 8-inch flexible OLED display in 2023, but he has said little else about Apple's work on foldable devices since then. Bloomberg in January said that Apple had started "early work" on a foldable iPhone, but development at the time had not expanded beyond a display.

Going forward, Kuo believes that foldable smartphones are going to become a "must-have" for all major smartphone brands, and Samsung at least has definitely been working on perfecting its foldable smartphone options. Earlier this year, Samsung introduced the Galaxy Z Fold3, the third-iteration of its foldable smartphone.

Early Galaxy Fold devices from Samsung were riddled with issues, but Samsung has now had three years to iron out bugs with little competition in the foldable smartphone field. If Apple does opt to come out with a foldable smartphone in 2023 or 2024, it will need to compete with Samsung, a company that now has several years of expertise with foldable devices.

Kuo has previously said that Apple will need to solve "key technology and mass production issues" to launch a foldable iPhone by 2023, so it would be no surprise at all to have the technology delayed until 2024.

Article Link: No Foldable iPhone Expected Until 2023 at the Earliest, But 2024 More Likely

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The idea of the foldable phone is good. And don't forget, flip phones were once the most popular mobile device but their hinges broke more often than people probably remember.

But I agree 100% with Spock: "May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed working with lightning? I find its illogic and foolish connectivity a constant irritant."

blazerunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2020
That's fine. No one is interested anyways. Just make the iOS software better. Who wants to deal with that?

Disingenuous post.

Those are early models that, yes, did have issues but have been resolved. Did Samsung rush the product? Yes. Did they fix it? Yes. Just like Apple messed up and fixed the butterfly keyboard issue.

Furthermore; is no one interested? Who are YOU to make that call? If YOU aren't interested... GREAT! Don't buy it. Go buy something else. Phone manufacturers making all sorts of phones for consumers that fit their use case is a GREAT thing. Did you know Apple makes more than one kind of iPhone? Pretty neat, huh?

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Well, we all know one is coming. It’s just a matter of when. At that rate, we’ll be on Galaxy Fold 6.

I’ll definitely be interested in an iPhone Fold in the future.

BrownyQ

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2021
While I miss the days of my flip phone, I wonder if this truly is the future of phones...

Or I could just be lying to myself because I really want a flip phone again.

Reactions: The Captain

ian87w

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
LOL. Keep pushing the year and making up the “prediction” so you can just made things up without any accountability.

I doubt Apple would do any foldable iPhones anytime soon. The use case scenario is not mainstream enough yet, and the tech is not mature yet. The iPhone is Apple’s cashcow, Apple will be most conservative with its design.

I can see the iPad getting some foldable treatment first. With the iPad, there’s no need for IP67/68 rating, this Apple can safely experiment. Maybe an iPad Book or something, a new lineup.

jz0309

macrumors 603
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
it'll come, whether 2023 or 2024, not sure that' important ,and all you nay sayers here on MR will be in line to get it the day it launches, just wait and see ...

Reactions: snipr125

JippaLippa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2013
Better to wait and do things right with updated technology, than to beta test the technology like Samsung.
I'm not a fan of foldable devices, but I'm sure 2024 technology will be much better than what we had this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.