No free cases after Sept because...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
...Apple will start including them in shipping boxes, according to an O2 sales rep in Ireland. In other words, the only redesign coming is to the box the phone is packaged in...so that it can accommodate cases/bumpers. Heard this on a CNET podcast where a listener called in.

Obviously i'm skeptical but i thought it was an interesting response. It kind of makes sense, its cheaper/less hassle to include a free case than to attempt a mid-cycle design alteration

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
...because Apple will start including them in shipping boxes, according to an O2 sales rep in Ireland. In other words, the only redesign coming is to the box the phone is packaged in...so that it can accommodate cases/bumpers. Heard this on a CNET podcast where a listener called in.

Obviously i'm skeptical but i thought it was an interesting response. It kind of makes sense, its cheaper/less hassle to include a free case than to attempt a mid-cycle design alteration
Makes sense to me. Another indication I see the colored cases becoming extinct. Black for all. All for black.

Blonde Buddhist

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Well most Apple news leaks have been traced back to O2 reps in Ireleand and CNET Podcasts, so this sounds pretty much confirmed.

Comment

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I think the reason they're giving only the black bumpers out is because they can still sell the color bumpers to us. No skin off their back!

Comment

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
Said it many times.
Bumper should have been considered part of the phone as an optional included accessory in the box from day 1.
None of this would have ever happened.

Comment

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The iPhone is fine it all depends where u live. Like in my house I can grip the corner and the signal dies out. But I went down the block and no drop at all. U don't notice this with other phones because either the phone doesn't have the antenna touch thing or because att doesn't gave the best coverage so u notice it alot. As for me I get service everywhere but my house. In and around my house the most I get is 3 bars and like I said gripping the corner sucks in my house

Comment

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
When will this guy stop.
Once there is no revision he will disappear forever or try and register a new username to deal with the shame.

I could see this being the case though, seems unnecessary to make people wait when they could just put them in the box. I don't really plan on using a case ever so the wait was not an issue for me, but I could see how people with worse problems could be upset.

Comment

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I think the reason they're giving only the black bumpers out is because they can still sell the color bumpers to us. No skin off their back!
Well, the colored cases aren't available for purchase. Perhaps this changes after September 30th and they are using this time to build up supply. If so its a good marketing ploy. They can give out free black bumpers while still being able to move product and earn back the losses in the colored cases. That's what I'd do.

Blonde Buddhist

Comment

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
because... By that point new iphone4 customers won't be able to say that they bought the phone without being aware of the situation.

Comment

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
Makes sense to just include them...pick another color down the road if you wish.

Comment

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dr Kevorkian94 said:
The iPhone is fine it all depends where u live. Like in my house I can grip the corner and the signal dies out. But I went down the block and no drop at all. U don't notice this with other phones because either the phone doesn't have the antenna touch thing or because att doesn't gave the best coverage so u notice it alot. As for me I get service everywhere but my house. In and around my house the most I get is 3 bars and like I said gripping the corner sucks in my house
I agree with you here. I don't have any signal issues at all in the US with my new iP4.

Comment

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
sorry, but that's just a big, fat 'duh!'

pretty obvious approach, since a redesign was highly impropable and just "not giving free cases to people who purchase an iPhone 4 after sept. 30th" would make no sense.

Comment

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
There will be a revision and the phone wont be crippled anymore without a bumper.
Just got my iPhone 4 yesterday. No signal loss or dropped calls yet. Also cannot reproduce the antenna issue. What do you make of that?

Comment