No free cases after Sept because...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by daneoni, Jul 30, 2010.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...Apple will start including them in shipping boxes, according to an O2 sales rep in Ireland. In other words, the only redesign coming is to the box the phone is packaged in...so that it can accommodate cases/bumpers. Heard this on a CNET podcast where a listener called in.

Obviously i'm skeptical but i thought it was an interesting response. It kind of makes sense, its cheaper/less hassle to include a free case than to attempt a mid-cycle design alteration

2. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Makes sense to me. Another indication I see the colored cases becoming extinct. Black for all. All for black.

Blonde Buddhist

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Well most Apple news leaks have been traced back to O2 reps in Ireleand and CNET Podcasts, so this sounds pretty much confirmed.

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

There will be a revision and the phone wont be crippled anymore without a bumper.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

Keep dreaming!!!

7. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

:apple: interesting observation

8. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

It works perfectly in Toronto, Canada :)

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I think the reason they're giving only the black bumpers out is because they can still sell the color bumpers to us. No skin off their back!

10. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

When will this guy stop.

11. msavwah macrumors 6502

Said it many times.
    Bumper should have been considered part of the phone as an optional included accessory in the box from day 1.
    None of this would have ever happened.

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The iPhone is fine it all depends where u live. Like in my house I can grip the corner and the signal dies out. But I went down the block and no drop at all. U don't notice this with other phones because either the phone doesn't have the antenna touch thing or because att doesn't gave the best coverage so u notice it alot. As for me I get service everywhere but my house. In and around my house the most I get is 3 bars and like I said gripping the corner sucks in my house

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Once there is no revision he will disappear forever or try and register a new username to deal with the shame.

I could see this being the case though, seems unnecessary to make people wait when they could just put them in the box. I don't really plan on using a case ever so the wait was not an issue for me, but I could see how people with worse problems could be upset.

14. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Well, the colored cases aren't available for purchase. Perhaps this changes after September 30th and they are using this time to build up supply. If so its a good marketing ploy. They can give out free black bumpers while still being able to move product and earn back the losses in the colored cases. That's what I'd do.

Blonde Buddhist

15. bobbba macrumors regular

because... By that point new iphone4 customers won't be able to say that they bought the phone without being aware of the situation.

16. illutionz macrumors 65816

Grats for good GSM signal in Canada.... :rolleyes:

17. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense to just include them...pick another color down the road if you wish.

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree with you here. I don't have any signal issues at all in the US with my new iP4.

19. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No signal problems here, either. Full bars all the time, with and without case.

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

sorry, but that's just a big, fat 'duh!'

pretty obvious approach, since a redesign was highly impropable and just "not giving free cases to people who purchase an iPhone 4 after sept. 30th" would make no sense.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Of course. Steve Jobs can't make a decision without consulting an O2 sales rep.

23. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

It's not crippled but I can see your reasoning skills are. Stop it now.

24. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

It'll come around June next year and they'll probably update the name too :)

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Just got my iPhone 4 yesterday. No signal loss or dropped calls yet. Also cannot reproduce the antenna issue. What do you make of that?