No Glossy Hi-Res Screens in Refurb Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidMoe85, Apr 25, 2012.

1. KidMoe85 macrumors member

I'm ready to purchase a 15" MBP from the refurb store and one feature I want for sure is the hi-res screen. There are several available with the better screen but for some reason they are all the anti-glare version. I've been checking the refurb section consistently for the last month and I have yet to see a GLOSSY hi-res screen listed. Is it possible that they are listing all hi-res refurbs as anti-glare? Or is it just that the glossy hi-res screens are not as common as the anti-glare version?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The refurb inventory is strictly determined by what products are returned to Apple, and the inventory content changes constantly. If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. pyrrhic macrumors newbie

Less common. When the unibody macbooks came out, everyone complained because the screen was glossy and was too reflective. I bought mine around Jan 09 just a couple of weeks before the 17" pro and matte screens were announced :p

4. KidMoe85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the site. Although, if you look over the categories, they don't make a distinction between hi-res and anti-glare either. The only hi-res models you can choose from say "Anti-Glare" next to model type.

I don't even mind the anti-glare screen really - it's the silver border that I can't stand. If none pop up in the next few weeks I might as well just wait for the MBP refresh and buy new so I can customize it myself.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They do make a distinction. Here's one that was listed as Hi-Res glossy, but it's unclear whether it's a 17" or 15".
    ScreenCap 2012-04-25 at Wed, Apr 25,5.56.08 PM .PNG

6. SurferMan macrumors 65816

that silver boarder is so worth it 10X over lol, I despise the glossy on my 13" with a passion lol.

7. chilly7 macrumors member

it is probably 17
    because 17 only has two high res screens glossy and mate while 15 has only standrd glossy and high res matt.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. The 15" has both glossy and antiglare hi-res options:
    ScreenCap 2012-04-25 at Wed, Apr 25,8.24.42 PM .PNG

9. chilly7 macrumors member

yes u right, i did not know that.

p.s.
    But at my lockal Apple store in Canada they only carry two models, a standart res clossy and high res matte

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What an individual store may carry has no bearing on what Apple makes available. While some stores may elect to keep some hi-res models in stock, hi-res screens are BTO, and only assured to be available online.

11. kontakt5 macrumors newbie

It says 17" in the description.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, but the description pops up when clicking the link for the 15" above it. That's why it's unclear.

13. kontakt5 macrumors newbie

Ah, I get it. I think its my browser, but it shows me 17" mac books in 13 and 15" sections.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're grouped by model year, then by screen size within each model release.

15. whdigital macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as the OP... I want the hi-rez, but with glossy. Don't care about the refresh; can't wait. Thought I saw one last week, but wasn't ready to pull the trigger...

16. chilly7 macrumors member

Did not Steve Jobs seid that in awry Apple store there should be awry standrt model of Mac which apple makes?!

Well at my opinion it is not like express cofe cafe, it is a real Apple store and it is in one of the largest city in Canada, so i am supprised that they don't carry it because they have many customized moddels of Macs as a regular stock

But anyway for me it is not a problem because:
    1) i like 17
    2) i like high res AG screen :)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Despite your poorly worded question, no, Steve didn't say anything like that. Apple stores typically carry standard models, and may choose to carry some BTO models. Hi-res models are not standard, as that option can only be ordered online, through the BTO process.

18. aaron580, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012

aaron580 macrumors member

They pop up every once in a while. Just gotta look on the right days I saw one last week and was kinda surprised to see it there.

19. whdigital macrumors regular

Not at all true. All stores carry the 15" 2.5 proc./750gb 7200rpm/4gb RAM/Hi-res, Anti-glare unit priced at @2,649 as a standard stock item. All other iterations are BTO, but that one is indeed standard stock. That's why I think there may be more of them in refurb statistically...

As a side note, I went into a store to look at the anti-glare and I had the chance to run a lot on it and do some nice comparisons to the glossy just today. Despite my earlier post to the contrary, I REALLY wound up liking the anti-glare and think I'll go that way after all. The config I want isn't in Refurb at the moment, but at least I see a few of them in there!

20. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I used to not like the silver border on the anti glare but after having mine for a while I think the silver looks much nicer these days, also note the MBA has a silver bezel, which is the model apple claims is the notebook of the future or whatever. Plus AG is just such a nice screen

21. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

The antiglare screen is a godsent try using your glossy screen sat outside on a sunny day.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. All stores do not carry that model in stock, and it is not a standard model, as you can easily see when you select one on Apple's online store. The standard options are preset and you have to add the faster processor or the hi-res screen as extra-cost options.
    ScreenCap 2012-04-28 at Sat, Apr 28,11.26.18 AM .PNG

23. parish macrumors 65816

parish

17" as it's 1920x1200. The 15" is 1440x900 standard and 1680x1050 hi-res

I agree with the o/p though, there never seems to be any hi-res 15" glossy, only anti-glare.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Good catch! I missed that.

25. whdigital macrumors regular

Sorry, and with due respect to you, THAT is false. What is in the online store as defaults and what are carried as stock items in the store are NOT one and the same. There are certain build-outs of higher end models that, while not a "default" on the online store, are always sold as a "pre-built", in-stock SKUs in the stores. Two Apple store employees confirmed this for me without hesitation....

Now, it's possible that this is something (i.e. exactly what models/builds) that varies by region based on buying trends. That I can't say with certainty because I've never been to any stores outside of the several in my region.