iPad Pro No going back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, Jan 13, 2016.

1. sjleworthy, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i upgraded from ipad2 to ipad pro back in early december. First retina device i've ever seen.

My ipad2 was dear to me - my first (and only) ipad which kept my business and private life all organised and running smoothly. Used several hours a day every day. The Pro basically took over the mantle. Generally business and organisational needs. Tv, internet and shopping, with music sometimes thrown in. Must admit, cant recall ever playing games on it.

After 2+ montrhs on the Pro i'm just as much on cloud 9 with it as i was with ipad2.

So i switched on the ipad2 today for the first time in 2 months to 'ready' it for my young nephew to take over, as he loves mine craft and whatnot.

Jeez, how old, slow, bitmapped and ancient it looks. Did i really adore it and use it up until last December? Surely not :p.
    The internet is painfull to use, the non retina display is bloody awful and the general speed and lag is a nightmare. To think this was my prized baby. I kinda feel guilty giving it to somebody else now.

Even playing with the latest Touches and ipadair2 in the Apple store recently they look so inferior. I just wouldnt buy them.

Do any of you feel the same? How many of you guys go back to regular ipads and other devices you own and seriously think twice about them? I was considering a new ipadmini4 at the same time as the Pro, but heck, no way José!

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I moved from an Air 2 to the Pro.

This is the right size for me, can't move back.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's my fear at the moment. I'm really enjoying my Air 2 but as more of the apps that I use are updated to support multi-window, suddenly the screen is feeling smaller than it used to. :)

4. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You're afraid you're going to figure out that a bigger screen is better in this instance? :p

I could also go on about the speakers, they're also better.

5. kevroc macrumors 6502

I feel the same way.

The IPP is the first iPad I purchased and didn't have any remorse whatsoever. Bought AppleCare, the Pen, a Keyboard and couldn't be happier with the combo and couldn't think of not having it. It just fit it so seamless to my needs, truly magical.

6. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I'm really spoiled now!! I have Ipad4 that is going strong and occasionally I'll pick it up instead of IPP, the screen looks too small now and it feels slow and my Pencil doesn't work on it, it sounds like a transistor radio.And I used to feel like it was awesome until I bought the IPP

The IPad Pro is my baby now, I really enjoy it and the Ipad4, the IpadMini, and my MacBook Pro...they are all looking mighty lonely !! I've enjoyed iPads since their debut and they all have served me well, but this one, I really would feel lost without it after having it this past month or so.

I think the Pro brought back that "magical" feeling that I had when the very first IPad was released.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yes!

That is the best way to put it.

8. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from my iPad2 like the OP and yeah, no going back. I have a retina MBP, and iPhone 6+ but my iPP is my go to machine. I use it at home so don't have the need to walk around holding it, so the larger size isn't a problem for my use. I don't find the weight in general to be uncomfortable and just love the larger screen. Love it with the pencil for notes and simple drawing (Penultimate) and the iPad2 is just a distant memory now.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm currently back using an Air2 while the Pro is on loan to a friend who wanted to try it. The Air 2 is okay for reading, and in some ways better than the Pro because it's lighter and more compact. Where I truly miss the Pro is for writing/editing documents, and for games -- the larger screen makes the graphics that much more immersive.

10. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I tested out the iPad pro when it first came out (ended up buying it again) and after that all other iPads seem puny =p the speakers are also really nice

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Threads like these do not help in my efforts to refrain from purchasing!! My own fault for perusing in here :)

12. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

The iPad pro is fabulous. My first wifi only iPad .. as I have cellular iPad Air 2 and iPad 4 and still use them a lot. I consider them different tools with different purposes and so their screens don't feel small, they are perfect for their tasks. The Air2 is super mobile and nearly always with me, I rarely use my phone for anything but calls. The iPad pro has its own niche between the smaller iPads and my MBPr. Haven't got the Apple pencil yet, but that will be a major function for the pro, handwritten notes and drawing.

13. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

how many are going back then as well as staying? how many love their Pro, but cant wait for a new ipadAir too? and why?

i'd never consider a normal size ipad now. the ipod touch is great. and i'd love another Pro as well. but a regular ipad? no thanks.

14. RebornProphet Suspended

My word. There's a lot of hyperbole going on in this thread, but that is the MacRumors way. Why must people write off and insult every other model of *insert device* while in the company of those who own the same device as you while partaking in some backslapping? I don't get it.

Buy what you need, enjoy it, but is there any need to slag off other devices?

Personally, I really hope Apple do release the Air 3 in March as rumoured because I have no desire to weild a 12.9" tablet to work every day and my June upgrade window is fast approaching. I've went from iPad 3 to 4 to Air to Air 2 and have never felt the need to nip into threads and slag off the device I left behind, which in my case was always the most recent.

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I couldn't go back unless Pencil support and power of the Pro were there. I sketch and draw and handle huge files every day so I don't think I could go back to a 10 inch iPad. No issue with old iPads, but as of right now they aren't or don't have what I need. :)

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Glad so many of you are loving your pro devices.

Hopefully the air 3 has improved speakers and pencil support. I looked into the pro but price is a big factor here. I've had a note 12.2 and it was too big for me personally.

Think air size is the perfect size for at home and to take on road trips. Pro? I think is not something I could take out and about but I'm sure plenty do.

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

YES! I can echo what you're feeling perfectly. So can my girlfriend. We have gotten so used to our iPad pro's that when we go back and have to help our daughter with her iPad Air, it just feels weird. Or we will see an iPad Air in store (like we did at Costco the other day) we were shocked that what we were looking at wasn't the "mini". It just seemed so small and I couldn't believe I ever got anything done on that small ass thing. The speakers seemed so crappy too.

Could not go back. Just couldn't

18. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

So you think Air3 with Pencil Support would be much cheaper? Why should it. It'll probably get around 200$ more expensive to support the Pencil. More expensive digitizer, more expensive screen, bigger battery to feed all this and the Pencil...

19. The Game 161, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yes it will be otherwise the iPad sales will be even worse than they currently are

£800 for a tablet is simply way overpriced and I wouldn't spend that much on one. Is there anything the pro provides that I can't do on a smaller air 2? No not really

Big reason why pro cost so much is just as much size as it is more expensive screen.

20. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

It isn't overpriced. The first iPad was 999eur... And being to expensive doesn't force companies to include even more expensive tech in the product - that would be insane. Are people in Air 3 threads so aloft to not see this?

Edit: I just saw you have an iPhone6s+ - That phone costs 789£. So a much larger and powerfull device is overpriced at 800£?

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If the Air 3 includes support for the Apple Pencil, then it will be released at the same price points as the Air 2. This is what Apple does. They introduce new technology in the more expensive models and wait for the cost of new technology to come down to a level where they can include it in the lower end models without affecting cost and profit.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

A phone is a more important investment than a tablet you will always need one throughout a day. Tablet for me is mainly for at home.

If I'm spending £800 on a phone each year I certainly won't want to spending the same amount on a tablet as well

23. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Being used to the iPad Pro, this is what the iPad lineup feels like to me:

- iPad Pro: iPad Normal
    - iPad Air: iPad Mini
    - iPad Mini: iPad Useless

:D

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's funny, but now that I have a Pro, I find myself wanting a Mini -- Pro for using at home and Mini for going out. It's the Air that's become redundant.

25. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

What it is for you is no relevance for overpricing. If 800£ is ok for a phone 800£ for a much more powerful device can't logically be overpriced. It may not fit your usage case but that has nothing to do with a fair pricing.

And why are you changing gear yearly? That's insane. I plan for at least 4 years for phones and the iPP will probably hold around 4-6 years before I need a newer model.

For me both mini and air are redundant. For the go I have a iPhone 6+ and for all other mobile usage the iPP.