No good mail apps!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Meister, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

Since recently i have been using email services (yahoo,gmail) only through their website in my browser.
    Now i tried to use the mac os mail.app and it didnt go well.
    Mail.app only sporadicaly synced mails and asked for my password all the time.
    I even called apple support and they were clueless trying to put it on gmail.

So i moved away from the mac mail app and since i paid for a full version of ms office i tried outlook.

Now outlook is doing the same thing.
    Everytime i open my macbook it asks me to type in my mail account passwords.
    This morning i noticed now that an email that outlook shows under "sent items" was never sent.
    It doesnt show up in the browser version of the yahoo account either.

This was an important work related email and i am angry about this.

Now am i missing something here :confused: or are apples mail service and outlook absolutley worthless?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm afraid that Outlook has been flaky as heck for a long time now...I stopped using it, and I don't like Apple Mail either so have been a Thunderbird user for a couple of years now. It has all the tools you'd need and you simply bold them on..no overblown menus etc, and rock solid.

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

So you could vouche for thunderbird?

I need a reliable mail app or i just use the browser versions.

I have problems understanding why it should be so hard to program an app that pocesses email. :confused:

I am really wondring if i am doing something wrong. Outlook and the mail.app are some of the wost programs ive ever used. Y would other people use them?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can vouch for Thunderbird...it's open sure and free. I have Outlook on both my rMBP and my iMac, but gave up with it...It lost mail, constantly lost the account settings, asked for passwords etc etc. If you want to look at other alternatives I think Sparrow is still around.

5. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thx. Ill try it!

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I can also vouch for Thunderbird. Right now I use Apple's Mail, since it's fine for my needs, but prior to this I was a Thunderbird user for many years and loved it.

7. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Thnderbird is a good choice and also postbox, tho thats not free after 30days.

8. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

So apples mail app doesnt ask you for your password all the time?

9. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Nope, not at all. If both Mail and Outlook are doing that, to me that would indicate that the problem lies in the way you're setting your accounts up in those programs.

10. awhyco macrumors newbie

Thunderbird is developed by Mozilla. I love it so much.

11. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I am trying to find out what iam doing wrong.
    I would also like to know y outlook has "sent items" that werent sent.
    Everything i did was pretty straight forward.

12. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I just set up thunderbird and right away it doesn't sync all my folders on my yahoo account.
    i can access only the inbox. the other folders don't even show. with the gmail account i see all folders.
    i am really at a loss of what i am doing wrong.

i have no such problems on my ipads.

13. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Try Airmail ? I really like it so far.

14. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I am just starting to wonder what i am doing wrong :confused:
    Outlook is terrible, apple mail sucks and thunderbird doesn't let me access all folders.

Y is it so hard to build a program that manages my email accounts?

I am not even doing anything unusually and yahoo and gmail are the most common providers.

15. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Give Airmail a try I will say, it's just 1.99$, and has worked flawlessly for the past month I have been using it.

16. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thanks. I just bought airmail and so far it seems to be fast and efficient.
    Have to test it to see how it works though.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sounds like you're missing something and mistaking where the causality lies. I've never had such problems with Outlook. Consider that it might not be the email client and that it may be your email provider/server and/or the way you set up your account (as stated above).

You'd need to provide a lot more details if you want assistance. Who is the email provider? How is the account set up?

Yahoo is definitely a problem if you're using them. They've had problems for years. My wife had nothing but problems with their email on her iPhone. Problems went away as soon as we got her off of Yahoo.

18. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Gotta say, I don't understand the issues OP and others report with mail.app.

It works brilliantly for me, using a mix of several IMAP and POP services, as well as gmail (which is IMAP-ish).

I fled Thunderbird several years ago after a major rev rendered it clunky and less reliable. Then I found that mail.app is supported superbly by Spotlight, allowing me to search previous emails, open a Finder window with the results, and QuickLook my way through them. That sold me.

As to Outlook-- yuck, just yuck. At a minimum, its way of saving files in a massive proprietary database is a non-starter for me. I still use it on Windows but only because my employer requires it. Horrible, crashy stuff.

Mail.app is by far my favorite email client. If you have issues with things like password retention or setting it up well with your services, it's well worth troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it, IMHO. Unfortunately email account setup is opaque and mysterious in any client.

19. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

I use the Mail app on my MBP and it was really flaky for a long while. Constantly asking me for the password and then telling me it was wrong. I would then use the "wrong" password to log onto the browser and be able to access the emails via the web. At the time I did lots of googling and it seemed that it was a Yahoo problem with Mail. Something to do with their security settings. Long story short, I eventually had to phone BT about problems with my email. They seemed to think that it had been hacked. This was after I sent some of my contacts a lovely email trying to get them to buy stuff on a strange website. Security was so great that one they looked at my email account, they noticed that my emails were being directed to another email address. I pointed out that it was an alternative email address that I was using and that I had been redirecting my emails for about six months. We spent a happy hour changing passwords on my account, on the master account and also changing security questions. Since then my BT Yahoo email seems to have been working. I am still being cautious though as I have not stopped redirecting it to my iCloud address. My advice is to reset all of your Yahoo passwords and security questions and see if it helps. It did for me. Good luck.

20. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

This sounds very familiar with what i am experiencing.
    I was hoping to stay true to :apple: and even called apple care about it but :apple:mail is *****.

same goes for outlook. utterly unuseable.

----------

email provider is gmail and yahoo. i already wrote this.

i dont do much setting up. just type in the password and it should be good to go.

21. jojoba macrumors 68000

22. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thunderbird didnt sync all folders.
    Its a mystersy why .... :confused:

Tried aimail now for almost 20 hours and everything works.
    Best so far ...

23. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

A few weeks later airmail doesn't work anymore :mad:
    I just noticed that it didn't send emails i thought were sent a while ago.
    supposedly my credentials are bad but i can still receive emails.
    I don't know how other people do this but i am just going to use the browser for emailing.
    ist really weird ..

24. blue-fireball macrumors member

Check your SMTP settings. Depending on your service, you might need the full email address or just the username. Also, check that you are using the correct port.

25. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You might try the MailMate demo. http://freron.com

Reviews are very good. My only gripe is there is no 3 pane view.