No GPS on WiFi only iPad models

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartyXB, Mar 15, 2012.

1. MartyXB macrumors member

Someone told me that there is no GPS capability on WiFi only iPads.

Can anyone confirm that? This would be a major reason to get the cellular capable models even if one does not subscribe to the service.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

It always been that way because they use an aGPS. Which means it is assisted by a cellular connection.

4. Maximono macrumors newbie

Yes true not on the wifi only model. It has no GPS but it can get a rough location using wifi hot spots in the area if your country has that service. I know it's good in the uk

5. WLS macrumors 65816

You can always get an external GPS module for it. I did for the times I want to use it as a GPS device, there are some nice apps that can use external GPS's ,
    It can always use wifi network location data to determine an inferred location

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

But doesn't REQUIRE the cellular connection. It's just that the GPS is built into the cellular chip.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's the crossover point....I always have my 4S with me anyway...Don't need it on my iPad too. Besides I always know where I am...Mostly..:D

8. ptsmith24 macrumors newbie

I have a Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS to use with ForeFlight.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The WiFi iPad will still attempt to find your location using the WiFi hotspots that are in range, but it does not have GPS. It's clear on Apple's own tech specs page.

10. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

It helps a lot in getting an accurate location. I am hoping they get rid of the aGPS that they use in phones because it does not perform as well as a quality Garmin, ect.....

11. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

If you tether your iPhone to your Wi-Fi iPad with Personal Hotspot, your iPad also gets GPS info from the iPhone...

12. MartyXB thread starter macrumors member

It may pay to spend the extra 100 bucks to not have to tether or carry (and charge) an extra bluetooth GPS unit. The nice thing about the iPad is having everything in one neat package. If not, why include the camera, my iPhone has one and I can send the pictures to the iPad via the cloud.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

14. MartyXB thread starter macrumors member

That was the iPad 1. Is this a given for all iPads, including future versions will never have GPS in their WiFi models? Do android tablets also not have GPS capability if they are WiFi only?

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Future versions who can say. iPad 3 is the same as 1 & 2

As for Android who cares.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That has been disproven and is documented as not working numerous times on various sites as well as youtube.

----------

Well, I drove around Florida recently for 2 weeks with the iPad with no SIM, BT, wi-fi and cell data disabled and it locked immediately to the sats and worked flawlessly using Navigon.

17. TheKricket macrumors member

This is pretty much the reason I chose the LTE model - I wanted the GPS capabilities.

Although, with all of this madness I'm hearing about LTE (mind-blowing speeds), I'm really tempted to actually sign up for the service...

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The GPS "hardware" is built into the cellular data chip. Most wi-fi only android tablets do have GPS.

19. ivan2002 macrumors regular

This is some pretty hilarious logic: aGPS helps, but getting rid of it will make it better?

WTF?

20. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think he doesn't know that an aGPS can function without cellular data, and that the assisted aspect only helps to lock onto the location quicker. For the longest time I thought assisted GPS was worse than normal GPS as well.

21. intofx Suspended

Never has, never will. You have to have some added perk to spend the extra $130 if your on the fence about wifi or cell/wifi.

22. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I just don't think you understand the technology. Reading to many blogs.

23. bniu macrumors 6502a

The marketing person who came up with the term "assisted GPS" needs to be fired.

Why not something like "Enhanced GPS" or "Accelerated GPS"?

24. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Why am I not surprised it's you making this statement. You seriously have no idea about this sort of stuff, yet much like the kid on youtube with the lightsaber... get what I am saying.

aGPS is actually faster and does indeed have better accuracy, especially in urban areas. It's basically using extra ground based points in combination with GPS, that some Garmin does not have. What Garmin is good at though is intelligent routing. I've had to wait more than a minute for a lock on Garmin on numerous occasions.

The ipad 3 may also include GlONASS like the 4S and most, which makes it even more accurate because you're using two satellite systems + the network.

25. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Not you again you follow me way to much. I can't argue with someone who is uninformed about "Stuff" intelligent wording. Night.