No great apps or games?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by Silver78, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

I got the ATV4 when it came out and was hoping for more than apple gave with the atv3 ......but honestly.
    Why I got the 64gb version I still dont get (hope that it will be worth it at some point)

The app selection is NOT good.

ATV appstore holds do much crap and the real apps does not seem to exist.
    I count a maximum of 10 games that are not crap and a few apps like plex and infuse but that is about it.

No spotify? No simple thing like flipboard? (flipboard seems to be on every platform)
    What about facebook?
    How about apples own apps ... icloud drive, imessage, email and so on?
    Find my iphone?

All is see is fake manuals and hollow crappy apps! Is it just me?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2016 ---
    I have used 1gb and downloaded all the good apps

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I disagree, but I guess it depends what you want from the ATV. Personally, I don't want my phone on my TV and Apple can't be blamed for third parties not making apps

3. Silver78, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

Silver78 thread starter macrumors 6502

Silver78

Im not blaming apple.
    I want the options on my apple tv.... Continuity
    What good apps do you know?
    Game section lack good titels ... Can only seem to find manticore rising all other games are crossy road like games that makes you wonder why you spend money on a steel controller or just played the same games on a 20$ android stick.
    Apart from plex and infuse I can not seem to find apps that justifies this atv4 64gb over atv3 (Also use "home remote" for home automation)
    I wonder why many must have apps still have not made apps for atv4?
    (Same goes for use of portraitmode on my 1 1/2 year old iphone 6plus or ipad multitasking support)
    I got atv4, nvidia shield, a n3700 cpu htpc and philips 40" 4k monitor all at the same day (atv with controller, shield 500gb and htpc cost me the same) Htpc wins by far (with a remote, kodi etc.) I very disapointed in both the shield and atv4 as app selection is right now.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2016 ---
    Also I can see the american app store gives the apple tv some use in alot of tv channels.
    Nothing like that in most european app stores.

All these smart tv devices tries to sell themselves on crossy road, asphalt and angry birds and kodi... its been like that for ages now.

4. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

Apple TV4 is a media player and not a computer so you will never see programs like iMessage,Mail,Facebook.
    Because those app you want is depended on a mouse and keyboard.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Here are some good games review earlier this new year.

6. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

I agree, so far the new ATV is a dud. The app store is pretty light on content, and what's there is a disappointing mix of ancient iPhone games, lazy ports of absolutely terrible ATV 3 streaming apps, and not much else. I had hoped that the iOS foundations of the ATV 4 would have meant it would get most new iOS games, but I assume Apple's retarded insistence on siri remote controls put paid to that. The lack of streaming apps is also a disappointment. I'm talking here about UK apps, which are still almost entirely absent, whilst the full suite of UK services are on the Fire TV and Roku. It can't even output 4K so it isn't future proof.

It's a stinker, unfortunately.

7. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Either people are just trolls or just damn stupid. I can not believe that the Fire Tv and Roku which have been out for years have most apps and the Apple Tv out 4 months does not. This is breaking news. When Fire Tv was out 4 months it had hardly anything. Oh wait it can't output 4k, damn too bad because that law was just passed that says Apple can no longer release upgrades to the Apple tv

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do you actually understand that most people, especially in the Untied States, don't have the bandwidth to stream 4K? Home ISP accounts on cable won't be able to stream 4K?

9. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A few of my most favorite games are on the new AppleTV. But leaves me wondering why some great iPad/iPhone games are not yet on it.

But you also start to wonder as far as streaming since I just got a refurbished Roku 1 for $30 for an old TV and the amount of channels on the thing is amazing... :eek:

11. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

According to the keynote this week, there are 5000 apps the  TV store?? Where are they? I must admit I've only lightly browsed, but I only ever see the same few hundred apps all the time

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

for every 5000 U.S. Apps there are 20 UK Apps :p, you guys get screwed

13. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

There were loads of retro games on iOS that I avoided picking up due to the fact that I hate touch screen controls. Things like the old Capcom arcades (SF2, Final Fight etc), Streets of rage etc. For some reason these have yet to appear on TvOS - again possibly because it's too hard to adapt to the stupid remote). I'm hoping that the recent appearence on Sonic (and forthcoming Sonic 2 and CD) will be the tip of the gaming iceberg. That, and Apple drops the remote control requirement in the next version of TvOS.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

I think about 4000 of them are virtual fireplaces.

15. ClonyXXL macrumors newbie

16. babaroga73 macrumors regular

I absolutely disagree. I've been using ATV4 mostly for my leisure , and it has loads of great apps. Off the top of my mind : Infuse, MrMC, Haystack, Readder, Newsreel, Ticker, PDF reader, Bat Player, Noon Pacific, as far as the games go, I've been playing mostly Dragon Mania Legends, Oceanhorn , Chillaxian, Mountain Goat, Crossy Road, Asphalt 8, and there are many more great that I simply don't have time to play.

17. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I fully look at Apple. APIs missing from iOS that makes porting easier, video can only stream using live http streaming, all games must use Metal and on demand resources. The list is longer.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What a ridiculous statement!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    What an ignorant statement!

19. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Ignorant? Well thanks for that.

Okay, I'll tell you what, when the Apple TV has all the core UK streaming services (as the Roku and Fire TV already do) as well as Amazon then I'll retract my statement. Until then though, the thing is useless to me.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I feel you guys. As far as games The atv is barely good for casual gaming atm. I hope more game apps keep getting updated to support it as time passes.
    As of now, I do like side loading stuff like kodi and emulators. Those are nice.
    In the end the biggest difference for me upgrading from the atv3 has been kodi, the other stuff like Netflix and Hulu I was already doing on the atv3.

21. satcomer, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You sound as if you are a troll that's paid and wants to convince everyone on a Apple TV forum no less to drop Apple TV! That's the definition of Internet forum troll!

22. Silver78 thread starter macrumors 6502

Silver78

I know tv ios is new and atv4 is mainly a streaming service box. But europeans does not have the same streaming options (our netflix holds old tv shows and 2000 so so movies)
    For now airplay of spotify is what I use my atv4 for.... Again my atv3 did that just fine (even better since it has digital output).

I only need one fireplace and allready played crossy road and asphalt 8 on all other devices.
    Apart from manticore then what to do with the 63,5 gb left?... I gots moneys to spends heres.
    One mentioned a good app list "on top of his hat".... The problem is that he mentioned all of them...all the good ones.

Great car and lots of gas but no roads to drive on.... Again Just like portraitmode on my 1 1/2 year old 6 plus or ipad multitasking.

23. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Good games, by my folders: (btw, you're killing me) PacMan 256, SkyWhale, Mountain Goat, Incredible Dot, Surfingers, Potato Panic, Into the Dead, Cursor, (dash), RR3, Impulse GP, Riptide gp2, Beach Buggy, Asphalt (racing), Giana Sisters, Bean Dreams, Sonic, PewDuePie, Rayman, Edge, Nanoplex, Song of Pan, Darthy, Super Duck, Robbery Bob , Super Mega Worm (platform), Dragon ML , Kill Shot Bravo, Xenowerk, Octodad, SkyForce, Nemesis, Chillaxian , Space Age, Oceanhorn, Swappero, Theseus, Quell, Fixum, Alto, Badland, Ninja Boy Adv, Steven universe, Zen pinball, Baseball riot, Peg Ballet, Dash Masters, kill me now, Just kill me...

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How Fanboy of you to say that!

25. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I agree with OP. I'm not impressed with App selection. I thought there would be more because porting from iOS Apss was going to be easy.
    That said , I've got an XBone attached to the same TV as the aTV4. So I don't need gaming options. It will be the next generation which will end up on a second tv where I will then have quality gaming in another room.
    I suspect many developers are waiting to see how the market develops for the aTV. Personally though I think that is short sighted as those groups should release something to start building internal expertise.