Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

103051-wwdc_2011_badge.jpg
In what would likely be a major surprise to many Apple followers, The Loop's Jim Dalrymple reports that Apple is not planning to introduce any new hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, scheduled for June 6th through 10th. The conference has been consistently used to introduce new iPhone hardware over the last several years, with the company occasionally introducing other hardware as well.Apple closed the door this morning on any speculation that it would announce new hardware at its Worldwide Developers conference saying it would focus on iOS and Mac OS.

Apple's apparent focus on software in its WWDC announcement backs up what my own sources are saying about the annual conference. That is, expect a software show in 2011, not a hardware event.While a focus on software is not unusual for Apple's WWDC promotional materials given its primary positioning as an event for developers, Dalrymple notes that the 2011 materials do nothing to contradict what he has already been hearing from sources: namely, no new hardware this year.

It is also important to note that Dalrymple has not specifically claimed that new iPhone hardware won't be introduced in the same general timeframe as WWDC, merely claiming that any introduction won't occur at the event itself.

One analyst report from late last month indicated that a September launch for the fifth-generation iPhone seemed to be the likely scenario. Those rumors were turned into claims of "delays" that were refuted by Dalrymple himself and other sources. The difference may have been in semantics, however, as Dalrymple simply noted at the time that Apple had not deviated from its own internal release schedule plans, but whether those plans called for a typical June release or something more in line with the September rumors or even something else entirely was unknown.

Update: Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that the fifth-generation iPhone will "probably" not ship until 2012 based on the current status of part production.According to Chinese source, iPhone 5 will not probablly be shipped during 2011 because the parts manufacturing for iPhone 5 are not started.The site had previously offered relatively accurate information about the iPad 2. The site also reported earlier this month that the fifth-generation iPhone will adopt an aluminum back and a redesigned antenna.

Update 2: Mac Otakara has clarified its original report to note that the fifth-generation iPhone is apparently not set to ship before the end of Apple's fiscal 2011, which occurs in late September 2011.

Update 3: All Things Digital and Engadget are hearing similar claims that there will be no fifth-generation iPhone introduction at WWDC 2011.

Article Link: No Hardware Announcements at WWDC 2011? [Updated: No New iPhone Until FY 2012?]

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I'm not so sure about that interpretation.

Not introducing the new iPhone would be a serious break from Apple practice.

But I guess it's possible. My iPhone 4 still feels "magical" to me. Maybe Apple will hold pat with iPhone 4 - what with the CDMA version and the white model being "new" this year.

It would be a serious break from past practice.

And on Macs...

"Now that we've shown you Lion, with all these great features from iOS that we're bringing Back to the Mac, here's a look at our newest iMac that takes fullest advantage, yada, yada, yada."

Last edited:

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Surely not beyond them to focus on the software but then announce some upgrades to the iMac or Mini or MacBook as they'll all be due for updates if they don't get done before then. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on iPhone 5 though.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Glad to read about Mac.
No so happy to read about the lack of iPhone hardware till possibly Sept :rolleyes:. I think if their going to wait until September, then we really need to consider the possibility of an LTE iPhone.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You can update hardware silently on a different day and still dedicate time to the two major OSes. I don't see the big deal. The MacBook Pros got Quad Core/Thunderbolt treatment but there was only a press release. Shame the iPhone cycle will be slightly extended this year though but oh well.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
That's just getting complacent in my opinion, people like myself like changing phones yearly, no new iPhone means no return business, I'll try something else instead, bad move if true.

doubleusn

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Maybe not at WWDC, but I don't see them waiting till Fall to put out new iPhone hardware, hold iOS5 till then, maybe, but not new hardware.

They risk losing people to Android, WebOS, etc... as the remaining iPhone3GS people all start coming off of contract, and nobody will go iPhone4 knowing 5 is just months away.

This waiting around also gives 3GS users a few months to check out other products (new Pre w/WebOS, etc). Apple does not want people looking around during that break time.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Who is this joker?

Apple’s apparent focus on software in its WWDC announcement backs up what my own sources are saying about the annual conference. That is, expect a software show in 2011, not a hardware event.

It's a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE it is always focused on software. This announcement does nothing to prove either way.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
No way is this legit.

More likely, Version has to wait until 2012 for the iPhone 5, AT&T gets it in June/July.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Maybe not at WWDC, but I don't see them waiting till Fall to put out new iPhone hardware, hold iOS5 till then, maybe, but not new hardware.

They risk losing people to Android, WebOS, etc... as the remaining iPhone3GS people all start coming off of contract, and nobody will go iPhone4 knowing 5 is just months away.

This waiting around also gives 3GS users a few months to check out other products (new Pre w/WebOS, etc). Apple does not want people looking around during that break time.

I'm in that boat. although I'm most likely not willing to 'jump ship'. :) would just be disappointed at a few more months of an 'old phone'.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
It's important that Apple starts to devote some serious time to it's operating systems as well. I don't see any major drawbacks to delaying any potential new hardware introductions.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Sort of relieved no iPhone 5 announcements, Im firmly bogged down into a 2 year contract.

So your attitude is "if I can't have it, I don't want anyone to have it."?

Whether it comes out or not, you won't be getting one. So why would it matter either way?

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Stinks

I still have 3G. Wanted to get the white 4, kept waiting for it, then finally decided I might as well wait for 5. Now even that is going to get delayed.

Turns out, trusting Apple's promises and release cycles made me a fool. The only behavior that seems to be awarded is: give Apple money is soon as you can and don't ask any questions. :mad:

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The iPhone 4 is already dated relative to other phones on the market. To have a phone on the market for 18 months without an update is insane.

Hammer God

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Lte?

Glad to read about Mac.
No so happy to read about the lack of iPhone hardware till possibly Sept :rolleyes:. I think if their going to wait until September, then we really need to consider the possibility of an LTE iPhone.

My thinking too. If, by waiting another three months, Apple could release an LTE version of the iPhone, this might make more sense for them.

Imagine what the holiday season would look like if more of their competitors were out with LTE phones and Apple was just standing pat with what amounted to a refresh of the iPhone 4. Instead, with an LTE iPhone out, they would avoid having tons of customers going over to Android.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
My thinking too. If, by waiting another three months, Apple could release an LTE version of the iPhone, this might make more sense for them.

Imagine what the holiday season would look like if more of their competitors were out with LTE phones and Apple was just standing pat with what amounted to a refresh of the iPhone 4. Instead, with an LTE iPhone out, they would avoid having tons of customers going over to Android.

My thought exactly. They would also avoid pissing off 11 million Verizon iPhone customers.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It would jive with the earlier rumor of a Fall release for iOS 5, and consequently, a Fall release for new iPhone hardware to match. And people, seriously, you can go without a contract for a few months. ;) It doesn't mean because your contract expires in June that you have to renew in June.

So what are thy going to announce?

Let me guess : iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion. Usually, we get a preview of iOS in april. If we don't this year, this pretty much confirms no iOS 5 in June and probably no hardware to match.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The iPhone 4 is already dated relative to other phones on the market. To have a phone on the market for 18 months without an update is insane.

Why because it doesn't have a dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 3D screen with 5G radio?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.