No idea how to activate my phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by registerusername, Oct 14, 2011.

1. registerusername macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S is on right now but it's not activated and I don't know how to activate it through iTunes or anything this is my first iPhone can anyone help me please thanks!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Plug into iTunes. Click on your iPhone in the left column. Fill in info, agree to terms. Activation will take a few minutes or may fail if the servers are overloaded. If it fails repeat until successful.

3. registerusername thread starter macrumors newbie

When I first turned on my iPhone it asked me to activate the phone as it was doing that it failed so I triedagain and it totally skipped the process and now I don't know how to reactivate the phone now I want to plug into iTunes asked me nowhere from activation can you help me again please thanks. Also my phone is on, I'm using it now. It's just not activated

4. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I am in the same boat as you. The first time around I tried activating on the phone and it completely skipped any sort of activation process. Then I restored and tried to do it through iTunes, but there's no where to actually activate it. I've activated iPhones dozens of times, but I'm really lost right now.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If it was not activated your could not be using it.

6. registerusername thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did the same thing. And when I restored it, it shows the activation but then skips it and starts up the iCloud etc instead. Also when I meant I'm on my phone, I'm on wifi but I have no Verizon service so it's still not activated I hope this all makes sense

7. registerusername thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Seattleite macrumors member

Seattleite

Um, yes, you can use the wifi feature to get online and post here!

9. MartinS3X macrumors member

Im stuck in the same process (ATT though), its been about an hour since I opened it up and set it up. My 3GS is still working with ATT service, but my 4S says no service. Im thinking(hoping) it probably just takes time to start.

10. Iconocat macrumors member

I thought I messed mine up setting up as a new phone and then plugging it into iTunes. I have a an old .mac/me acct and once I put that in it pulled my personal info. Then I decided to check AT&T's website to see if I could activate it from my acct and it was pretty effortless and just took a few mins. Calls & txts working fine since!

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you have Verizon, dial *228 and enter your phone number when prompted (this will dial even if you don't have cel service yet). This is the "activation hotline". Unfortunately, Verizon seems to be having problems porting numbers from other carriers right now. Mine were confirmed earlier in the week to be ported from AT&T, but neither are working on Verizon yet on new iPhone 4S's. And of course their help lines are swamped.

12. dqfayi macrumors regular

In this way, we can choose the right iPhone 4S case for our newest device which is better than iPhone 4. I searched "4S case" from Google this morning, and there were so many cases can be used both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Everything goes so quick!!!

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you are with AT&T and having a hard time activating your phone, just take out the SIM card and try it. :)

14. jjlannoo Suspended

I have sprint and mine self activated in seconds

15. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I went through the setup on iTunes for my iP4S -- restored from the backup file of my 3GS.

Now I'm sitting here and have no idea what to do. My iP4S has all my apps and configs set up, but my 3GS is still getting the signal and working.

Where do I go to finish the activation and move service over to my new phone?

I'm usually pretty self-sufficient with stuff, but this is just baffling. There's no "activation" option in iTunes that I can find.

16. iYitsy macrumors member

Top left does it say no service? or is it roaming (frequency bars are there just no 3G/etc)

17. xian67 macrumors regular

www.att.com/activations

Did anyone else NOT get that little needle thing to take out the SIM card?

18. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I went there. It says iPhones must be activated through iTunes.

19. xian67 macrumors regular

20. conan-kun macrumors regular

Apple doesn't include it anymore in the packaging. I didn't get it with my 4S and I don't think they included it with the iPhone 4. I guess they assume you will just use a paper clip.

21. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

My phone has full bars and is working fine on WiFi -- it just does not have a number associated to it and I cannot figure out what to do in iTunes to "activate" it.

My 3GS is sitting here, still working and still receiving texts and calls.

Anyone who can offer help as to what step I missed or what I'm supposed to do, please let me know.

22. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I turned on my phone, Plugged it into iTunes, and BOOM.
    Instantly Activated.

I was like :eek:

23. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Just an update. I called the AT&T number 1.800.331.0500 and went through the command prompts to activate the phone. It took less than five minutes and I didn't have to speak to anyone.

24. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

I am having issues with porting number to Verizon from T-Mobile. Did you get yours activated, yet? I am on the phone with Verizon for like 3 hours now!

25. iYitsy macrumors member

Ah, it's on AT&T. I know for Verizon Wireless there is a trick to getting it to activate.

With AT&T is there a way to do account changes like change the ESN online for it? If not have you put in your sim do a hard reset and activate with iTunes?