No iLife '11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timothevs, Sep 1, 2010.

1. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Maybe I was naive in expecting an iLife '11 announcement. I was rather looking forward to the same - mainly an iPhoto/iMovie update, but alas, the wait continues.

2. mpb2000 macrumors regular

That was the only thing I was interested in this time around (I finally upgraded to my first ipod touch last year). This is the second event where an iLife update was rumored, so definitely disappointed. Oh well, we'll have to wait until January for the next "rumored" release...

3. PilotWoo macrumors regular

The september event has always been an iTunes/iPod event. I can't see why you were expecting mac software to be announced. If it is to be iLife 11, theres much more chance of an mac event early next year I guess.

4. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

Hope against hope here. The update is overdue really.

5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I thought Steve was going to lead into it before he announced Chris Martin playing. He talked about how iPods could facetime with iPhones, I was expecting it would lead into facetime with Macs...

6. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

7. buckers macrumors 6502

Launch date

Although I wasn't expecting iLife '11 to be announced today, I'm still a little disappointed (ain't the new Nano cool though??). So, I'm guessing they'll unveil it.. early next year, perhaps?

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

With the huge graphics outside the venue, I thought there was a good chance of a new iLife but how wrong was I?... VERY.

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I expected an iLife '11 announcement too. iLife '09 is getting very dated. Software is getting behind, Stevo!

10. jotade11 macrumors regular

Yes, new iWeb software por favor!

This is TOTAL speculation, and is grounded in nothing but the fact that Apple filed a patent for dual pointer (read: touch screen and mouse assisted) iMacs, see this article for more. Perhaps they will hold off totally until summer 2011, announce an iMac (or MB/MPB) line that features the multi-touch interface, and release a new iLife, probably iLife '12, that integrates touch pointing.

So again, that's just a random thought, but I just thought it was interesting :)

11. Migra macrumors newbie

12. buckers macrumors 6502

Interesting idea. Along those lines, I'd also imagine they'd incorporate some new interface stuff into Mac OS X to make the OS itself more touch-screen friendly? And I'd guess such a big update would be saved for the next version of OSX, also expected next year? :confused:

13. Yendog macrumors regular

Yendog

yea.. this is the thing I am most wanting... I use iWeb, and Garageband all the time and the iWeb especially is becoming VERY dated... the iLife suite is in serious need of an update

14. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

I guess I really wanted an iPhoto update. With my 60k+ images, it is just really slow. But I think it is also an indication, that it is time to move to other apps.

15. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

iMovie needs an overhaul to 64bit as well as better organization.. When you have 40+ movies, it's hard to go back to edit previous events without having to scroll through them all.

16. gorjan macrumors 6502

Well, aren't Macs usually updated during October? Maybe we'll see an updated iLife then together with a small sneakpeak of 10.7? :eek:

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

They've got to update it sooner or later. It's going to look stupidly old to new users when they come over, and for the rest of us.

18. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Don't be so hard on yourself. ;)

19. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Hope so. And, maybe, iWork'11. Provided that M$ will launch the new Office for mac right in October-November. It would be a smart move.
    And I could ask something to Santa for Xmas...

20. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I hope so, but I have a feeling the majority of OSX or new Mac's will not get press conferences anymore. No intention of leaving Mac but theres been some serious neglect going on.

21. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

This is all about money. There's no money in announcing an upgrade to iLife. Not even for iWork or Aperture. Not in a iPhone/iPad/iPod world.

I was hoping for an announcement regarding IPS display technology for the Mac Book Pro's, but we'll all just get wind of that by way of visiting the front pages of blogs or frequenting the Apple online store website. Oh well...

22. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I hope for an update, but only because I like wanting something new. Realistically I cannot think of what they could add that I would want that bad. I wouldn't mind facetime, but I have to wait 'til January to get my iPhone to make sure these Verizon rumors don't hold (or do for that matter) merit.

23. 3282868 macrumors 603

iPhoto

It'd be nice to have more options to arrange events/albums, such as by date or Event/Album title. The "Faces" engine needs some work as it doesn't seem to identify faces after dozens of manual tags. IWeb could use some serious updating, such as PHP and perhaps some more professional options, such as HTML5/JVM programmability (instead of "snippets"). Plus iWeb's code produces a lot of repetition with regard to CSS's. A new iLife application would be nice as well.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I don't need an announcement - just roll out the products. :D

Actually, I do want the iPhoto edit/black screen bug sorted asap.

25. buckers macrumors 6502

Agreed and agreed ;)