No iMac - Here's my new PC specs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Scythe5, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Scythe5, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

Scythe5 macrumors regular

I'm not sure what anyone else is going to do, but here's what I am putting in my hip pocket if we don't see an new iMac in July.

CPU Intel Core i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge): 3.5 - 3.9 GHz $350
    GFX Asus GTX680-DC2T-2GD5: GeForce GTX 680 (Factory O/C) $540
    Mobo ASRock Z77 Extreme6: LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Express $175
    RAM G.Skill F3-1600C8D-8GAB: DDR3-1600 C8, 4 GB x 2 (8 GB) $58
    SSD Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB-MX: 120 GB, SATA 6Gb/s SSD $120
    HDD Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003: 2 TB, 5900 RPM $120
    Optical Lite-On iHAS124-04: 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD±R DL $18
    Case Antec w/USB 3.0 $100
    Power Seasonic X750 Gold SS-750KM: ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Gold $160
    Cooler Zalman CNPS12X $100
    Monitor (Still searching, but will be 27")* <$400
    Keyboard Logitech K800 illuminated RF keyboard $85
    Total Cost $2,226

I am considering the ASUS VE278Q monitor, which is $319, so going that route takes total price down to $2,145 which is still below the $2500 cap I put aside for an iMac.

The only downside would be I'd be on Win7 and Linux, but I can do everything I need to do in those two OS's.

*Edit: Posted for those looking at doing the same thing in the near future.

2. leman macrumors G3

And the point of your post is what precisely?

BTW, any 1080p 27" monitor under $400 is crap quality-wise compared to the iMac. If you want to get comparable quality you should go for 1440p Dell or Samsung (or something like that), which cost $700+.

3. TX328F macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that Apple products retain market value - I could sell immediatley my late 2009 iMac 27 to Gazelle for about 500 dollars - a DIY PC would be very difficult to sell. Also take into account the value of your time: before the iMac I used to assemble my own PCs, it does take some time to get the job done.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Nice gamer rig. Hope you enjoy it.

Note that you'll need to spend more than $400 on the monitor if you want to match Apple's screen quality. I think the Dell monitor that's closest to Apple's is $600? If you're getting a desktop GTX 680, don't cheap out on the monitor.

5. Scythe5 thread starter macrumors regular

There's been others talking about building a PC if there are no new iMacs released in July - That was the point.

----------

Yeah, preliminary specs but I can upgrade the monitor in a couple of months and throw the asus at my wifes laptop desk.

Still waiting on the iMac, but like I said....no iMac in July, this is more or less where I am going.

6. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

I see a lot of people dismissing this point when comparing an iMac to a custom built PC "equal" to the specs of said iMac.
    So just post this in one of those threads instead of starting another one. I do like the specs you posted so I hope you enjoy it. Have you considered putting OSX on it?

7. leman macrumors G3

I see. Well, for me, neither Linux nor Windows will do. I think I will be investing into an RMBP instead - that display is absolutely great for writing papers, which is my main occupation.

BTW, a suggestion: get a m-ITX board and a nice Silverstone/Lian-Li case. It will both look great and have a small footprint. The newer cases should be sufficient to cool a GTX680, it s relatively power-efficient compared to older gens.

8. wiznet macrumors regular

Nice, quite a different version of a computer when compared to an iMac!

I agree about the monitor, don't cheap out on it, especially when you've already spent a lot of dough on the computer itself. You want a good monitor to take advantage of it. I'd go for a Dell UltraSharp, if I was you. Or, if you want to take a bit more of a chance, a Korean monitor such as this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...High-resolution-Monitor-QHD-DVI-/320865513557 . Amazing quality of picture, but if something's wrong with it, the price to get it repaired is expensive, and you also have to make sure you get a US power adapter.

Enjoy your rig, if you decide to go for it.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Add the cost of building this computer.
    2. You end up with a self-built computer that looks like a self-built computer.
    3. No warranty on the computer as a whole, so any fault-finding is on you. And taking the computer apart, exchanging a part, and putting it back together is on you as well.
    4. No support.
    5. Resale value is close to zero.
    6. Windows instead of MacOS X.

Now some people actually _enjoy_ building a computer, wouldn't count the time for choosing + buying parts and putting them together as work, but enjoyable hobby. And look at having a self-built computer that looks like a self-built computer as a positive, not a negative. If that's you, go ahead and build it yourself. If you want a computer at the best possible price for value, get a Macintosh.

10. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Wow I didn't know 2010 technology was worth so much!

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

12. Scythe5 thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, this is an option that will not be pursued unless we don't get a refreshed iMac next month. Some of the components will probably change as we move towards Aug. I am still hoping for an iMac. :D I prefer OS X over Win7 and Linux, so your #6 item is my only concern.

I admit, this option is not for everyone. I've been building PC's since the mid 80's - I'm not worried about the support (have yet to every use support from Apple or any other computer company).

13. Gintijd macrumors newbie

Scythe5 i know what u r saying But instead of building à pc yourself

Have you considered this:

The New Sony vaio l series And i must say i'm very impressed 24" touchscreen with good specs for 1299 USD and even a higher model with 3D touch and tv.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...facetlist=true

Dell is now also selling a iMac look a like.

And imo Apple should not leave customers in The dark especially with The long update cycle of 418 days today and now is The time to make an exception of no comments of future models policy and inform. Because otherwise customers may shift to look beyond The Apple horizon.

Me : i'll wait a little longer Because i Will never Buy à 2011 model when a upgrade is just around The corner. And when i have to Buy a New desktop i'm afraid It Will Be à Sony then.

But i hope It Will not have to go That far.

That Said i think (read: hope) The release is not later than july. And i strongly believe every day That passes The New iMac Will Be introduced together with The Ml introduction. If That is not The case i don't see The iMac coming before in The best case The holiday season of 2012 or later 2013.

Hope That Apple Will come to her sences of informing.

14. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Yeah that's what Tim Cook meant by "we're going to double down on secrecy", that they believe in communication with customers.

15. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Is a Windows 7 license free?

16. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

I have built my own and you're right, resale value is pretty low. Nobody wants to buy a self-rigged computer. BUT if you part it out you will get a lot more for individual parts selling them on eBay.

Buying the latest and greatest like this build you'll lose quite a bit, but getting 50% back shouldn't be too hard if you don't wait til the parts are totally obsolete.

17. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

So basically this is just another "produce a refresh or else" threat thread with the addition of DIY specs. As somebody already mentioned; why not just contribute to one of the other 10 similar conversations instead of creating your own meme thread?

18. Scythe5 thread starter macrumors regular

No, but I have three computers (two win7 laptops that came with a license, and my iMac for which I purchased a Win7 license on to use via bootcamp <-- that one is not currently being used).

19. Scythe5 thread starter macrumors regular

No, This is a IF you are thinking about building a PC instead of waiting, this is how I am planning to do it.

I haven't threatened :apple: to release it or else. I simply stated that if we don't see a July release, this is more or less along the lines I am thinking in. Sorry, but I am not waiting longer than the end of July and refuse to pay full retail for an iMac that is outdated on a number of fronts. The 2011's are very nice machines, but again....not going to buy one just to stay with :apple:

If :apple: cares about my opinion on when to release their hardware, then I am definitely in the wrong business. :D

I didn't see any other threads that were specific PC build specs. My hope was that others would offer input on various components, etc. In that regard some have....mostly on the monitor listed.

Of course, you had the option to avoid it entirely. Apologies if you're offended.

20. GyroFX macrumors 6502

best bang for the buck for a 27" 2560 x 1440 is the Yamakasi Catleap Q270

21. jmhart macrumors regular

22. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

I can absolutely follow you. I have a Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone, etc, but my main computer is still a pc. As I'm getting sick of Windows, I'm ready to switch to a Mac, but not to a 2011 model for a 2012 price. I need usb 3.0 for connectivity, I need a newer graphics cards (preferably Nvidia) and I need more SSD options than just a 256 GB for $500.

I'm using my pc since 2007, but I have upgraded every possible part. It's a 2,66 GHz Intel quadcore, 8 GB memory, 256 GB SSD, 2x 2 TB hdd (in RAID1), 1x 1 TB hdd, Geforce 550 with two monitors (26" IPS and 20"), etc.

I'm ready to switch to an iMac but ofcourse only when the specs are better than my current pc. One issue is the limited storage in an iMac, but I'm considering a Thunderbolt RAID-drive for that. Just a regular update (Ivy Bridge, usb 3.0, new gfx, more SSD's) would be enough, but a Retina or 4k resolution would be interesting as well.

I wanted to buy since april and I can wait one more month, but after that I'm not sure what to do. My current Windows installation had some issues. And I don't like Windows 8. Beyond that, I like my Macbook Pro a lot and most software I use is available for a Mac too. OS X is a more stable platform and the unique Mac hibernation mode is perfect for my work situation. So like you, I'm waiting for news. If there's nothing new in juli I'll start to doubt Apple's priorities for the iMac platform (mid July +-450 days without any update).

23. Scythe5 thread starter macrumors regular

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Almost like buying a modded out car. It's quite costly to be honest, customized to your own liking, and it could be much faster too. But in the end when the time come to sell it, a stock Honda is much more valuable than rigged one.

25. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Is adding one more thread, this one much more informative and interesting, really hurting your or the internet or this forum? No? Then why did you take the time to write that out? Just let it be, man, let it be.

OP: Having just recently built a computer with similar specs, you're going to love it (especially if you do any gaming or anything that uses that BEAST of a GPU). Have fun with it! And know that there's a decent chance that you can Hackintosh it... may not be something you want to do, but it is easy to Hackintosh a computer that you build, given that you control the specs. I'd suggest looking at TonyMacX86 if you want details on that.

Have fun with it! And like others said, if you need to move down to a Core i5 or a slightly less powerful GPU to get a better screen, don't hesitate. You'll thank yourself in the end, especially considering how easy it is to replace the innards (comparatively speaking).

As for value over time, sure: you won't be able to sell the whole unit for as much as a comparable OEM-manufactured set. But that's ignoring the whole point of a custom PC - you can upgrade incrementally, a GPU here, a CPU there, a power supply a year or two down the line. The cases remain basically the same, with the exception of ports. But given that it has taken many years for something like USB 3 to even gain some traction, you will get many years out of a decent case. Same with a power supply, RAM, and hard drive(s). You'll end up having to replace GPUs, CPUs, and the motherboard probably once every three years to stay up with the bleeding edge.