No Installation Works

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iShawna, Aug 20, 2011.

1. iShawna macrumors newbie

Hey i downloaded windows and now i want to remove it but it won't work look.
    also i can't download any files either. when I type my password in nothing happens they just ask me to re-type my password
    Thanks

2. iShawna, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

See look

See

Attached Files:

3. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Very confusing post.

First, what you are installing (not downloading - that's already happened) is Adobe Flash - not Windows. If you want to stop the install, just click the "quit" button in the Flash install dialog.

Second, if it keeps asking for your password, then either it or your user name is incorrect.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by "can't download files either". If you close the window asking for your password, you are still in the Flash installer app, not Safari. Just click on any Safari window to switch back to the Safari app.

5. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

i meant i can't install any files my bad

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What kind of "files"? Do you mean applications? If so, can you give an example?

7. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you might be confusing installation of an application with opening a document. Both types can be downloaded (transferred) to your Mac (usually through your Web browser - Safari being the default).

So, I think you mean documents, not apps.

If you are downloading documents using Safari, they will be stored in your Downloads folder which you can access from the Dock. If a document is of the type PDF, web sites sometimes have a link to download Adobe's PDF reader. However, that's not necessary on the Mac as the documents are handled natively - no 3rd party app needed (or wanted, IMO).

I hope this helps. I'm having difficulty determining exactly what problem you're having.

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You have to enter your user name in the top box and your password in the bottom box.

10. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, double-check that both your username and pw are correct when you enter them in the box. Note that to install stuff, you generally need administrator privileges, so check that if it's one of several accounts on your computer.

11. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the admin account
    it won't let me create an account install applications or do anything

12. gr8tfly, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you are using an Admin account, you must be on a machine that's set to login a particular user automatically. So when you set that up, you must have had the admin account's password. Unless, you are using a machine which is already running in that account and you go to install or make certain changes and now need that password - which, you no longer have.

Also, an admin account can be setup to only allow certain actions, and further restrict activities using Parental Controls.

All of the above would require the admin account holder's username and password.

Does that help a bit more? (I tend to be on subtle side - but I think I've been around this carousel already.) At almost 3:00am, I might be writing jifbberish for all I know. ;)

13. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

you know the little lock icon at the bottom of system preferences that lock won't unlock for me either.

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Same problem: you still need the admin password for the current user.