No Internet access on iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CmdrLaForge, Dec 15, 2008.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

I have a weird problem with my iBook G4. I cannot get access to the Internet at all. I connect using a TimeCapsule. In total I do have 3 Macs, 2 of them connect just fine just my old iBook gives me headaches. It doesn't acquire a correct IP address either.

I do connect over Wifi. The Wifi symbol in the menu bar gets all bars on the iBook and the TimeCapsule does show 4 connected clients ( I do guess my iPhone is one of them).

So - two Macbook Pros and one iPhone connects just fine to the Internet using this TimeCapsule. It does show 4 connected clients and I do get all the bars in the menu bar on the iBook.

The iBook doesn't get a correct IP address (that is my guess as it totally different from the two Macbook Pros). The iBook runs 10.5.5.

Please help. I have no idea what to do or where to look for the problem. I hope someone does have an idea.

Cheers
    LaForge

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried using any other wireless networks? That's the easiest place to start troubleshooting in my mind.

3. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

In the past - yes. I did use other networks with this iBook but not recently or after this problem started. I could try to connect wired.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd suggest trying another wireless network now if possible. Testing it on ethernet will introduce too many variables to be terribly useful.

On my iBook G3, the Airport card has a tendency to become dislodged, which leads to no end of annoyances.

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I would do so if I had another wireless connection around - but I don't. I just got myself a LAN cable. I will try wired now. Maybe it does help.

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

OK. LAN doesn't solve the problem. Exact same situation. The Mac says it has a self assigned IP address. It looks like it doesn't get the IP address from the TimeCapsule. Hmmm. Weird.

7. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

I got an iBook G4 with no airport card installed. Can I just use a higher card such as FRYS.com #: 3544224 or do I need an Apple or lower grade 802.11 b/g specific card to upgrade it?

A valuable reply would be a newegg or frys item number. I can install it myself.

Rocketman