Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaijuRed

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
I don't see the point for Apple to intentionally 'limit supply' of iPhone 5Ss. This is absurd. Days following the launch day is where demand is almost inelastic. It makes no sense for Apple to withhold stock in the midst of high demand, lest they want to sell it when demand falls which by then perhaps some consumers might have already found alternatives!

Did Apple anticipate people wanting the space grey phone more than the gold phone?

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Don't you guys understand?

> Apple didn't allow pre-orders
> Apple spread rumors there would be a shortage
> Apple wants giant lines for publicity

Apple acquired AuthenTec a few years ago, and they didn't just plan the fingerprint sensor a few months ago, it's been planned for a while, so there was no shortage of fingerprint sensors.

If I could cyber-bet, I would bet a lot of money that the stores and carriers will be very high in stock. Stop believing they won't have a lot, Apple wants giant lines, there are no facts to prove any of these rumors. Without pre-orders, there will be TONS of iPhones at each store
Awesome prediction there. I won't ask you to pick my lottery numbers though, Nostradamus.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Did Apple anticipate people wanting the space grey phone more than the gold phone?

Perhaps the gold phone was harder to make than the gray one I suppose. The space grey one isn't anodized from the Looks of it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Besides , they had the expertise of making the black and slate as well as the white and silver model already.
IMO Apple did anticipate a rise in demand for the gold and space grey model because they're the newer colours. The white and silver should be presumably the less popular color because it's already available for the iPhone 5. According to a poll in macrumors there is indeed a very high demand for the space grey model. As for gold I still feel it's because of manufacturing issues in my honest opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.