No iPhone 5S?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Since most of what has been announced wont be available until the fall, anyone else think there won't be an iPhone 5S (maybe due to how well the new androids are doing) that they will probably not release an iPhone this year, and wait till next June to release the iPhone 6?

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
i want to get back to Appletrain right away, currently having my Galaxy S3, but tired of Android OS now, the apps etc..

5S in September? or do you think they'll skip it for the 6?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
They only went a couple of months past the summer into the fall.

Ever since the launch of the iPhone 4S, Apple has moved the iPhone launch to the fall, to co-incide with the annual Fall iPod/Mac Hardware press event. They have also moved the iPad family to around the same time. iOS 7 being available in the fall is specifically because they are launching the new devices at the annual summer event.

Back when the iPhone was launched at WWDC, iOS was previewed earlier in the month. iOS 2, 3, and 4 betas all came out in the winter or very early spring, before WWDC, when the phone that matched that version respectively launched.

We will see the next generation this fall.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Why would they not release an iPhone (5S or 6) roughly a year after the 5?

They have done every year since the first one...

In case you didn't notice it's only been 9 months since the 5. It'll be 2-5 months before the next one.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Since most of what has been announced wont be available until the fall, anyone else think there won't be an iPhone 5S (maybe due to how well the new androids are doing) that they will probably not release an iPhone this year, and wait till next June to release the iPhone 6?
Umm, I'd say you've drawn exactly the wrong conclusion from your first sentence. iOS7 is coming in the fall and, historically, that's always meant a new set of hardware to go with it usually with new unannounced features that require that hardware. Frankly September / October makes more sense for a new phone release anyway as you're on the run to the holiday season.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
What a preposterous assumption. Apple release a phone every year, that's a gimme. Your reasoning is comical. They won't release a phone because android is doing well. Is apple not doing well too?

Aston.Zagato

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Predicting a late Sept "special event" with an Oct release of iPhone 5s, iOS7, Maverick and Mac Pro.

It will be a busy "fall" this year!

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Predicting a late Sept "special event" with an Oct release of iPhone 5s, iOS7, Maverick and Mac Pro.

It will be a busy "fall" this year!
I wonder if Craig got some beef for saying that iOS 7 will make your iPhone like a completely new phone. I'm sure Apple thought about it and hence will not let us update until after the 5S is released.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I miss the early summer releases. It is an ideal time with schedules lightening up in the work world and the education field shutting down.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Idk if some of you have realized, but... New iOS software releases EVERY YEAR at or around the same time as a new iPhone.

Apple does the same thing every year and some of you are extremely confused for some reason.

iPhone 5S and iOS 6 September. New iPads after.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Late August will probably be when they announce the new device or early September. Keep calm folks we go through this every year...

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You've been a member since 2010 and need to ask this?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's hilarious how many people here don't know or have to ask about when an iPhone 5S is coming......

How about looking to the last two years as a clue? Despite the fact that we can't know anything for sure, using the fact that the last two years have seen iOS anouncements at WWDC and the iPhone release in late Sept/early Oct, I think it would be safe to assume we'll see a keynote in late Sept/early Oct announcing the next iPhone with its subsequent release a week or so later along with the release to public of iOS 7.