No iPhone 8 but IPhone 7S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Feb 7, 2017.

1. macher macrumors 65816

macher

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Who knows until it happens. Let's just wait and see shall we?

3. Sunny1990, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Thanks for posting this useful article.infact I too believe they will go with regular "S" cycle this year, I love my iPhone 7 design and can live with it until September 2018, Relentless P:confused:wer you keep dreaming :D

4. imanidiot Suspended

What possible difference does it make what they call it? This is a thread?

5. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I kind of agree with this article. Based on the last quarter Apple had, it doesn't seem to matter that they released a phone that isn't much different the the phone that came before it to sell well. Why base a company's release cycle around nostalgia? 10 anniversary or not, they'll put one or two easy new features into it - wireless charging, more waterproofing, etc. and call it a day.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL.

And just like with the 7, if the outside does not change, I will call it a day and pass (again) on buying.

I have a 6s+. I had a 6+ before that and internal features are not why I buy phones though sometimes they may influence a purchase.

Changing the look of the fugly camera bulge and adding new colors is not enough to motivate me to replace my current device.

7. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

I think there is no doubt we will get a s variants this year. The question is how readily available the new model will be if it is actually released. they could call it aple phone edition. Throw a ceramic back on it
    , include a wireless charging pad, 512 gb of storage and charge $2500+ for it. Next year ss, charging pad not included, different tiers of gb choices and sell for normal iPhone price as iPhone 8.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Doesn't really matter to me if they call it 8 or 7S.

9. Finchly macrumors member

Finchly

'I see this when I show people the iPhone 7 Plus ... They say, 'I want that, but I'm okay with my iPhone 6.'

And rightly so because they look almost identical. In the early days from the 3 to 4 to 5 people were on the edge of their seat for every release because it looked different. Why would the mass market spend another $800 for something that looks the same with marginally better specs?

10. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere that there's gonna be 3 models. The 7s, 7s plus, and the 8 or X. And the 8 was gonna be a redesign. With oled screen and wireless charging up to 15 feet away.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I really don't care what they call it, but can we quit referencing Business Insider like it's a reputable source of journalism, please?

12. macher thread starter macrumors 65816

macher

Despite the 'no huge' change the iPhone 7 still had record sales.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Supposedly the iPhone 8 will have three models according to reports. A 4.7, 5.0 and 5.8 OLED model (The OLED model would be exclusive to the 5.8). The other two models would have the aluminum chassis with incremental changes.

Apple wants the Plus model to be exclusive and maximize profits. They pushed the Plus model
    Big in 2016.

14. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Yeah that will probably be my first plus lol. I have the 4.7 now but will probably get the 5.8 if it's new. I wonder how much It will be lol

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The price point scares me too, especially if it is OLED. I have the 7 Plus. It's a great iPhone, but I'm ready for an overhaul of the current design. Once you use the Plus model after while, you won even notice the size anymore. But the benefits are there for the increased battery, better screen and camera.

16. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I definitely will buy the oled one if it's not to high of course. Because if the 7s and 7s plus are the same I might as well just keep my 7. No since and upgrading if it isn't a new design. But Apple would definitely be stupid to keep the same design around for 4 years. They are already losing customers to Samsung and other brand makers. We are long due for a new design. And being the anniversary year they need to need to make something good. Me personally I think they should redesign all 3 even if they don't put the oled screens in the other 2. People still don't want the same design over and over again. So why not make the 7s the a new design with just and LCD panel.

17. kerrikins macrumors 65816

18. bufffilm, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

This news changes nothing.

Incremental updates every year, people...it's what we can expect. Anything else is in your dreams.

I actually think I'm going to just ride my 6s for a third year in Sept. With no redesign in sight for the smaller 4.7" phone this year, there really isn't any point in buying a 7s.

Outside chance that I get an Android phone, but they will really have to impress me before I bite. The indications are the S8 may be too large and who knows what the Pixel 2 will look like.

One last thing...those of you with the 6/6+ still...might be time to get off that fence if you were hoping/expecting Apple to wow us in Sept.

Yeah, I know...it's hard to give up hope. Well then, prepare to be crushed.
    /* bwah ha ha ha /

Just saying...

19. hellopupy macrumors regular

hellopupy

I thought I was the only one that thought biz insider was complete ****.

20. macTW Suspended

So changing internals isn't enough for you. Changing outside (camera and colors) isn't enough. What is?

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Changing the actual body of the device.

I.e., a change such as iPhone 5/4s, iPhone 6/5s.

Not iPhone X/6s/6, which all look the same except for the change on the camera bump and removal of antenna lines on the 7.

It's like car models in between body style redesign. You can tell a year by the small styling changes made year to year (if you pay any attention at all to that) but most people wouldn't know the difference between the first year of the body style and the last year.

For example. Park a 2012 Nissan Sentra next to a 2013. You can tell they are different. Park a 2013 Nissan Sentra next to a 2017 Nissan Sentra and you'll have to know what you're looking for to notice if anything has changed.

My wife has no clue. Neither do most people. But I do. And continuing in the same style as the 6 is not going to make me want to buy.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Well, that settles it then.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    To be fair, it's not about the name, it's about the design. The general expectation is that if it's the 7s it will have the same design as the 7. If it's the 8 that implies a new design.

23. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

I will skip this years iPhone either way, I intend to keep my 7 for either 2 or 3 years all depending on how sexy the 2019 iPhone is.

I think they will go with calling it the 7s personally though.

24. KevinC macrumors member

Business Insider. Seriously???

This site is run by none other than Henry Blodget. Look up his history, and particularly his history predicting Apple stock moves. He's a hack and an anti-Apple troll. If BI says anything about Apple, believe the opposite.