No iPhone at WWDC is a good thing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronpage28, May 31, 2011.

1. ronpage28 macrumors newbie

Like the title says, it's a good thing and here's why. If an iPhone is not released Apple is gonna have to have something seriously major to show off! I know rumors of notifications and widgets have been heard, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was so much more. They may possibly release a more PC esque version of iOS for the iPad... Well I wish anyways! Completely overhaul the UI of iOS maybe... It would be nice to see some changes none come to the top of my head besides notifications though! What would you all want to see from iOS if there is not an iPhone released?

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

It's obvious there will be no new iPhone. That, as you said, is a good thing. iOS indeed needs at least an hour to itself because it's really dated. Hardware is unimportant for Apple right now - the iPhone 4 still looks and sells great.

No.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The last thing I would want is a more "PCesque" version of iOS.

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I expect cloud itunes, new notifications UI, stuff like that which, depending on what you fancy, could be considered a "major" software update but I don't think the general UI will be changed that much and I certainly don't think they're going to fragment iOS by releasing a more "pc-esque" version of it for iPad.

They really don't need to go out on a limb with anything. Last I checked iPhone and iPad sales were pretty stellar.

No new hardware will be a bit of a disappointment for those who really want an A5. I don't like VLC telling me that my h.264 720p video might not work because my iPhone is "too slow." Dual core would be nice for the geeks out there but in any case, I have an iPhone 4 and won't be getting a new iPhone this year regardless. Crossing my fingers for LTE-iPhone in 2012 when my contract is up and also hoping that I'll be grandfathered into unlimited LTE.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Why is it obvious that there will not be a new iPhone? What about all the rumours for new hardware?

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

New chip and camera do not qualify as a new phone.

7. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

What about all the rumors that the hardware you speak of is coming in September?

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

iOS5 has to be big .... my logic is simple .... they're making so much fuss over WWDC 11 being all about software and services and NOT hardware .... iOS5 has to be a re-imagining of iOS in the face of WinPho7, Android & WebOS .... notifications and widgets are the weakpoints making iOS look poor .... i'm expecting big things .... almost a WOW event .... especially also since they've announced Steve doing the keynote .... he said at iPad2 that he didn't want to miss it .... if it was a minor evolution he wouldn't need to be there

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My upgrade isnt until Feb 2012, not worried about the new iPhone 5 yet. My iPhone 4 working out pretty good for now

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

In the past 5 years, when has Apple ever completely overhauled the UI of an OS or even the operating system itself??

Apple is confident in its design; hence, it never 'completely overhauls the UI' of its OSes. Ever since OS X, Apple does small changes each release (phase in/phase out).

A complete overhaul of design would mean they completely screwed up and have to start from scratch (i.e. Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7 with Microsoft).

11. err404 macrumors 68020

Actually I think that Apple does need a significant rethinking of the UI workflow. The current UI is a progression of the system put in place for the original iPhone OS. Since then Apple has added the App Store, Search, Paginated Homescreen, Multitasking and Folders. We have reached a point where the old model is beginning to seem counter intuitive, were the only physical button is dedicated to a jarring task that yanks you out of your current app and places you in a location away from your next action. It's not good when a buttons secondary function (multitasking) gets more use the than its primary.
    I hope that iOS 5 changes the UI metaphor. Right now the Home button appears to close your app and take you to a "desktop" to launch your next app. This could be re visualized to bring a window over your app with information focused on what you will do next. Think of it this way, reverse the current Home button single vs double tap actions and add information to the multitasking view to utilize more then 1/5 of the screen.

That said, despite the need, I don't expect a major change.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

I'll add to that. New case design does not qualify as a new phone.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

I'd say new chip is the ONLY thing that qualifies a phone as new.

With a new chip, the phone can run all the new software updates for years to come. The old chips die off into obscelecence more quickly (like iPhone 3G). With an A5, the new phone will be a major major huge giant upgrade. I LOL at people who judge the newness of the phone off its exterior. Thats like taking your old windows XP laptop and changing the case. Guess what? It's still slow.

14. collisos macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes it does

15. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I don't know... Putting a new engine in an old car does not make it new. Sure, it extends it's life and usefulness and you'd take it if you can get it, but it's still last years Buick.

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Agreed! I'm not even sure what that would entail... a UI meant to be used with a mouse?

That analogy doesn't translate to computers, especially Apples, so well. The most obvious example is the design of the PowerBook G4/MacBook Pro. The aluminum design of the G4 was introduced in like 04/05 and then wasn't redesigned until 2008. One could also point to the iPod classic as having essentially the same design as the 4th gen iPod released in 2004.

17. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

As a first time iPhone buyer this screws me. Why they would change their normal cycle I'll never know. Of course all of this is speculation and an iPhone could be revealed at WWDC next week but if there is no mention of one Apple is really failing. Majority of 3GS contracts will be expiring this summer and there will be no new iPhone? That's lame. Someone like me who needs a smartphone NOW will be forced to buy the iPhone 4 (2010 hardware) a year into into its life cycle and get ultimately screwed next summer when the iPhone is redesigned.

18. Hobbes. macrumors regular

You know, when your contract expires...your phone doesn't stop working. You can wait a few more months.

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm with you on this, but I've already decided if this year's iPhone (assuming there IS one) is just a bump of the iPhone 4, I'll just stick with my trusty 3GS until next year. My upgrade is in September, right around the time the rumors have suggested the release of the next iPhone, but if it doesn't blow me away, and I mean BLOW ME AWAY, I'll just stay with my 3GS and save my upgrade until the (hopefully) huge upgrade next year.

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yea. My contract expired April. I know that. Its just that this is the normal time frame for a new iphone to be released and now we'll have to wait even longer if the rumors are true.

21. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Tough call when you can be pretty sure a complete redesign will come next year. I'd be inclined to stick with my 3GS or just pick up a used ip4 until next June.

22. mikejfrd macrumors regular

IF Apple has nothing great to offer you and you want to get out of your 3gs; I'd buy an ip4 off of ebay and run with that off contract until Apple releases the next generation iphone. You'll still be able to resell the 4 and even the 3gs for that matter when youre ready. You can get a used 4 in great shape off of ebay without a contract for about the same you'll pay for a new one with a contract. Just a thought if you're tired of the 3gs.

23. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Who says there will be no new iPhone?

This is a slight revision guys, chances are, they'll just announce it and be done with it.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

The reason that your 3GS is good enough to hold you over for another year is the same reason I'll probably get the new phone this year. Big speed increase.

The new phone will probably be hardware [cpu] sufficient to run well for a couple of generations after it is updated. Not such a bad thing.

25. jacoblost macrumors newbie

There will be a new iPhone announced at WWDC no matter how small the upgrade is or how much later the actual release date is. Apple shareholders have come to expect a new iPhone every year at WWDC, and to not announce a new version of Apples most profitable product would be disasterous to the AAPL stock price.