Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

No iPhone Pre-Sales?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

BoyGenius publishes an AT&T prelaunch sales brief for the iPhone which details sale policies for the iPhone.

Essentially, the iPhone will be offered for sale as a first-come, first-serve basis, and no pre-sales will be allowed.

As previously known, the iPhone will be available in June but "the exact date has not been announced". The document also reinforces the $499 and $599 prices for the iPhone and instructs employees to not speculate or discuss other pricing possibilties.

Ptpiz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Florida
Confusion

I am so confused about the pricing. They announced that the phone will be $499 and $599 with a 2 year contract, but other reports have said that it will cost that much to buy it at the Apple Store without a contract? Is this true. I can't imagine having to pay anything more than $599 for a phone contact or not.. even if it is the jesus phone.

Does anyone have any info?

JPT

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
I think it might be because Apple is going to lower the price a bit... Who knows... :apple::apple::apple:

cr0nite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
It will cost $499 / $599 with a contract, no matter where you buy it. As far as we know, Apple won't sell it in their stores (or anywhere else) without a contract.

Ptpiz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Florida
It will cost $499 / $599 with a contract, no matter where you buy it. As far as we know, Apple won't sell it in their stores (or anywhere else) without a contract.

Well, what if you are already a cingular customer and you want to switch out your phone for an iPhone? It just doesnt make sense

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
My guess is that supplies are very limited and/or they have no idea how many they will really have for the launch.

I am betting on supplies will be ultra limited, worse then the PS3 launch,

moz76

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
has anyone heard that cingular will not insure the iphone in case it breaks. my sister was told that today at the cingular store. better not drop it.....

jk8311

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone else pick up on this?

"Your music, Your way"?

What does that mean? Maybe AT&T is sneaking in their own music downloading service to compete with the iTunes service? Why would they even attempt to do that? And why would Apple let it happen?

I really hope AT&T doesn't do anything to the iPhone like what Verizon does to its phones...I guess I should say that I hope Jobs doesn't let them do it.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
has anyone heard that cingular will not insure the iphone in case it breaks. my sister was told that today at the cingular store. better not drop it.....

Apparently, Cingular doesn't have insurance for any PDA or Smartphones. Basically, if you get one ... treat it like gold :D

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Well, what if you are already a cingular customer and you want to switch out your phone for an iPhone? It just doesnt make sense

You'll pay $599 and extend your existing contract for another two years. They may offer to not extend it if you just got the contract, but I doubt it.

As for the insurance, this will almost certainly be handled by Apple through AppleCare.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
You won't drop it like this...

Attachments

• hands%20free%20cell%20phone.jpg
    hands%20free%20cell%20phone.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 97

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
There is going to be a lot of people waiting to buy the iPhone on release day. So much that I think that the store is not going to have enough room to have them all. I will wait a couple of years before I will buy an iPhone. I don't need an iPhone right now.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

i'm guessing there will be apple care.

another option is to purchase the phone with a credit card that provides protection on purchases and/or to get some sort of homeowners'/renters' insurance...

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Man, I cant wait for all you folks to pay retail, work out the bugs, and suffer through an inferior network so that in June of 2008, I can get an iPhone.

No lines for me.

:p

And we can't wait to use it for a whole year before you join us. Early adopters will suffer the early problems, but we'll also escape the crapdom of having to use a junky Motorola or Nokia set until you decide you're ready.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Man, I cant wait for all you folks to pay retail, work out the bugs, and suffer through an inferior network so that in June of 2008, I can get an iPhone.

No lines for me.

:p
.....and I bet you are still doing your burrito's in the oven while we work out the kinks on our microwaves. :rolleyes:
Seriously. You can't be serious. camping out for a phone??? Unbelievable. What is the world coming to??
It's called fun. Try it some time!
I don't think cingular has insurance on any of their "smart phones."
They don't.....but you can purchase it through Safeco Insurance.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I bet there will be a little AT&T desk in every Apple store where you can buy a iPhone and sort out all the contract stuff there :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.